• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100R In-tank fuel system components

mzeitz

Hi Gang,

I need to get into the fuel tank which I have not done before - I believe my vent lines are probably cracked due to age because I'm getting fuel dripping onto the swingarm, pretty consistent, worse when the tank is full and/or it's hot out. I have a new fuel filter I'm going to put in but I guess my question is whether it would be wise to just put a new fuel pump in while I'm in there. (50k miles on what I assume is original from 99) I found this kit from Beemer Boneyard that I was looking at:

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341231nkoh.html

I know I'll need to get the vent lines separately - would anyone advise buying extra for the external vent lines (at $30-$40/meter it's quite pricey) or can I just use any old thing there since they are not submerged or under pressure. They are just getting hard with age and becoming difficult to route when I mount/dismount the tank.

Thanks!

Fuel vent lines

I would use the pricey vent lines inside the tank and cheaper for the outside lines. If your fuel pump is working ok, I would just keep using it.

I wouldn’t replace the pump unless you have an issue. Appropriate size vent lines but not necessarily BMW brand. While you’re in there, you might consider relocating the fuel filter externally so it’s a five minute job to change in the future. Also, how are your in tank fuel lines? Might be a good time to replace them. Again, appropriate size and application (for ethanol fuel, fuel injection, for being immersed in fuel). Time to get it done and get on the road. Safe travels.

Appreciate the input, I may leave the fuel pump alone but possibly buy the kit anyway since I think it has the internal fuel lines, and will have either the new or old one as a spare. As far as the filter goes, I've read of folks doing that but I'm leaning toward leaving it be - I like the idea of having it all self-contained, being able to just undo the QD's and one bolt and off comes the tank (aside from the trim of course). Aesthetically I spent a lot of effort giving the bike a stripped down look and pretty much the whole subframe is visible just about up to the pivots. I wouldn't want it hanging off the frame and off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere I could hide it.

I wouldn't want it hanging off the frame and off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere I could hide it.

Crossway under the front edge of the seat at the rear of the tank. Pump output to right side end of filter, then loop hose from filter forward around front of engine then back on the right side to the quick disconnect. I did this on Voni's R1100RS and on my R1150R. To change the filter remove seat. Remove filter. Install filter. Put seat back on.

Back