• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alternator Repair & New Vibration Issue

tohau

My 2014 BMW R1200RT recently had an alternator failure. After the repair by a very qualified BMW dealership, I noticed an increased engine vibration that did not exist before the repair. The bike has 116,000 miles, which should not matter since the vibrations didn't exist before the alternator repair. This bike has seen an average oil change every 3000 miles throughout its life and was constantly maintained by BMW mechanics.

I noticed the increased vibrations in the handlebars and mirrors (standard and handlebar mirrors) when the RPM is higher than 2,500. It does not matter if I ride the bike or not. Even the seat and the rear pannier guards are vibrating. The mechanics already made various clutch adjustments. It slightly reduced the engine vibrations, but it is not even come close to the vibration levels before the alternator repair.

Has anybody encountered a similar issue? After how many miles was the repair done, and how was the issue fixed? I am sure that I am not the only person with an alternator failure.

Any community input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. Feel free to send me a private message if you feel more comfortable.

eBay has several good pictures of rotors for that model, and they look much like a car brake drum. They have many holes drilled in them, but the smaller hole(s) are probably there for balancing.

But … was the original rotor even replaced, and if so, why? It’s the stator windings that short out and quit charging. Can’t the stator alone be replaced?

I’d check spark and cam timing and throttle body sync first before splitting the bike again.

I have just heard back that dealership will take the bike apart again. They believe that the new alternator is defective. I keep my fingers crossed that this will fix the vibration issue this time.

Last edited:
There is a rider on the BMWLT forum his user name is Tohau that has a 2014 RT that has the same problem after his alternator was replaced. He posted about it on 3-12-2023 & as far as I can tell the issue hasn't been resolved yet.

I have just heard back that dealership will take the bike apart again. They believe that the new alternator is defective. I keep my fingers crossed that this will fix the vibration issue this time.

That is good news ! At least the dealer is stepping up! :thumb

Kudos to the dealership. Which one is it?

Is the 2014 model one where the entire engine needs to be removed from the frame for an alternator replacement? Sounds expensive. With 116,000 miles on the bike, you must really like that motorcycle to sink that kind of money in a repair. For better or worse, I've always sold any motorcycle I've owned when it gets much north of 60,000 miles. Don't like expensive headaches. But if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it.

There is a rider on the BMWLT forum his user name is Tohau that has a 2014 RT that has the same problem after his alternator was replaced. He posted about it on 3-12-2023 & as far as I can tell the issue hasn't been resolved yet.

Saddleman, Tohau is tobias ... same guy, same bike.

Same user, same problem, and the same desperate search for a fix. I cross my fingers that the vibration issue will be fixed this time. I would hate to lose such a great bike this way.

Is the 2014 model one where the entire engine needs to be removed from the frame for an alternator replacement? Sounds expensive. With 116,000 miles on the bike, you must really like that motorcycle to sink that kind of money in a repair. For better or worse, I've always sold any motorcycle I've owned when it gets much north of 60,000 miles. Don't like expensive headaches. But if it's worth it to you, then it's worth it.

It is a learning process, but the engine ran very strong until the alternator had issues. The bike also had so many expensive accessories, it was just too hard to separate from it.

I will keep you posted about the progress and the end result.

The alternator had to be turned by 180 degrees according to the shop. This fixed the issue. I am still waiting for my bike to come back. Let's hope that this information will help somebody else in the meantime.

The alternator had to be turned by 180 degrees according to the shop. This fixed the issue. I am still waiting for my bike to come back. Let's hope that this information will help somebody else in the meantime.

Nice :thumb

Looking forward to the final report.

Another reason to support your local dealer.

OM

I had the stator in my 2015 RT rebuilt by Ricks motorsports electronics. Before the replacement the bike had low vibration past 100mph. After the replacement I'm not comfortable taking it past 90. It vibrates so bad I'm afraid something is going to brake .

I had the stator in my 2015 RT rebuilt by Ricks motorsports electronics. Before the replacement the bike had low vibration past 100mph. After the replacement I'm not comfortable taking it past 90. It vibrates so bad I'm afraid something is going to brake .

Not real familiar with the 2015RT. I did some looking and it does appear the stator is the stationary winding on the bike? Not sure how a stationary part would effect or cause a vibration.
Have you checked the driveline/driveshaft? Any more on this.....without taking the thread too far off course?
OM

Not real familiar with the 2015RT. I did some looking and it does appear the stator is the stationary winding on the bike? Not sure how a stationary part would effect or cause a vibration.
Have you checked the driveline/driveshaft? Any more on this.....without taking the thread too far off course?
OM

The vibration happened regardless if the bake was standing or was ridden. This could be ruled out very early in the troubleshooting process.

The vibration happened regardless if the bake was standing or was ridden. This could be ruled out very early in the troubleshooting process.

Did it change when the clutch was pulled in? Or, when it was in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Really interesting to hear the outcome.

OM

Did it change when the clutch was pulled in? Or, when it was in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Really interesting to hear the outcome.

OM

Honestly, I didn't do this test. In my mind, the vibration was constant. The only factor that reduced the vibration was a lower RPM.

Last edited:
I won't be able to check my bike's vibration , whether or not the bike is moving , until we get back north where the bike is in early June

Back