• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering trading R1150GS for F650GS

Was great Down Under

Just got back from two weeks down under; New Zealand. I put a crazy number of miles on bike (dealer lifted an eyebrow) and it handed everything from New Zeland super highways to beach sand and gravel roads.

One great all around bike.

I rarely had to go over 4500 rpm to keep up with any traffic.

Last edited:
Re: F650

Since 1976 I have owned 9 BMWs: '61 R60, '76 R90/6 (2), 82'R100, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS, '97 F650 Funduro, '99 R1100RT, '02 F650GSA. My riding needs sound very similar to yours as far as commuting, pleasure and touring.
My favorite bikes of them all are my current F650GS and the R80ST, FOR MY RIDING NEEDS! The F650GS is a much improved, higher tech, more economical incarnation of the R80ST. The F650 has 50 hp versus the R80s 48hp. Both machines are highly "flickable" but the 650 more so. I missed my R80 until I got the F650. I miss it no more!
Performance wise, those that state 95-96 mph top end need to get their machines to a mechanic. Mine will indicate 115 pretty much any time I ask it to and has been clocked reliably at 105 (by a police officer (;-<). I'm 6'0" and 225 and usually haul the factory bags and have a Dakar windshield. For cold weather I mount a Parabellum shield that works very well although fuel mileage drops from the usual 65-69 to around 58-60 pushing the bigger shield. I DID change gearing slightly, making it taller with a 45 tooth rear sprocket instead of the factory 47. It is quite smooth at 80-85 and handles long stints at 95 much better than it should. Top gear roll-ons at highway speeds make my cruiser riding friends shake their heads. The power band is different and much like the time I considered trading my KRS for a Ducati but thought it seemed underpowered (the Duc), you have to get used to it and change your shift patterns. Vibration is less than my '85 KRS and about on par with the bigger airheads.
Hope this helps!

deanzat said:
I like my bike a lot, but I don't love it. For the money and time involved, I want to love my motorcycle.

My primary use is daily commuting and weekend romps. Once or twice a year I'll take a long trip. On occasion, I carry a passenger, but not often. Money's tight right now, too.

Want to help me build the list of pros and cons?

Thanks, DZ

Gentlemen, at great risk of casting yet another dispersion upon the forthright and BMW faithful among you, let me present:

DL1000K6.jpg

JCBR1150R said:
Gentlemen, at great risk of casting yet another dispersion upon the forthright and BMW faithful among you, let me present:

DL1000K6.jpg

Nothing wrong with the V-Strom at all...an outstanding bike and tours well too, even 2-up w/pillion and luggage. Recommend the DL1000 if the touring was a goal though.

Back