• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 BMW R NINE T Scrambler - Option 719

josph26

Hello New Friends !

I am a new member to the MOA and this is my first post. Unfortunately, I'm reaching out for help on something that's been frustrating me for a few days. I'm hoping someone can assist.

Here is the situation: I just bought a brand new 2021 R NineT Scrambler. It did not come with any type of anti-theft system so I bought an aftermarket GPS tracker (Sizzapp). This new device needs to be fastened down to the positive and negative battery terminals in order to draw power. However, when I removed my seat to start the process I was astonished to see that the R NineT’s battery is buried deep in the bike’s guts (underneath the gas tank someplace). I'm not the handiest of people and this looks like major surgery to locate the negative battery terminal. I just need to fasten this one little black wire down around the negative battery terminal and it's no where to be found. The positive terminal is right there in plain view as soon as you remove the seat. SO, I'm baffled why BMW wouldn't include the negative bolt right next to it, but it doesn't seem to be there. I know if I'm trying to jumpstart the bike they have a negative terminal post sticking out of the cylinder but there's no nut or screw there for me to fasten this wire down to. Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe I need to pay the dealer to run some type of negative extension or lead out from the battery’s negative terminal bolt. Anyone run into this or have any ideas on a workaround? Send me a YouTube link or something. I haven't gotten to my 400-mile break in point yet so when that comes I can always ask the dealer for help but I hoping I could do this on my own. Any suggestions guys?

Warm Regards, :usa
Joe

Have you tried attaching the device's ground wire to any ground point on the bike? I don't know why it would have to be directly attached to the battery negative terminal.

Doug

I agree

Any good ground point will do for the negative wire. You will at some point need a new battery so start thinking about an extra fuse box or terminal block with a direct to the battery ground and a fused positive connection that will be easy to get to.

You guys are great

I appreciate the responses fellas. Like I said in my initial post, though, I'm not the handiest person so when you say something like "Any negative ground point," what does that mean? Like a piece of metal inside the frame. Except this black wire is not an alligator clip style. It's a U-shaped wire that's designed to be fastened down underneath the negative battery terminal bolt. How do I know which bolts I'm looking at underneath the seat compartment are negative, if any? It's kind of embarrassing to ask this stuff out loud. I know it must sound absurd. Thanks again for any help leading the blind over here. :banghead

I appreciate the responses fellas. Like I said in my initial post, though, I'm not the handiest person so when you say something like "Any negative ground point," what does that mean? Like a piece of metal inside the frame. Except this black wire is not an alligator clip style. It's a U-shaped wire that's designed to be fastened down underneath the negative battery terminal bolt. How do I know which bolts I'm looking at underneath the seat compartment are negative, if any? It's kind of embarrassing to ask this stuff out loud. I know it must sound absurd. Thanks again for any help leading the blind over here. :banghead

The "negative" on this motorcycle is the ground. The negative battery cable attaches to the frame or engine/transmission case. Any point of solid contact (free of paint, grease, etc) on a bolt that attaches to either the frame or engine or transmission case will work. Find one and try it. Loosen the bolt or nut, attache the wire, tighten the fastener.

FM Dual Exhaust and PAUL

Thanks so much boys for the help. I'm going to try your suggestion(s) and make something happen here!

Back