• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Condensation from Pipe Connection During Startup - Normal or RT Silicone?

Zwniana

I had taken off the factory exhaust and put it back on. Now I notice some condensation coming down exhaust pipe at the connection between muffler and exhaust pipe. Once bike heats up, it goes away. Should I put some High Temp RT silicone at the connection or is this not a problem.

Thank you!

Condensation/water vapor seems to be a byproduct of the new emissions systems. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it results in a stain- which is possible.
There is a possibility that this is “seasonal” and may change when temperatures are more equal.
Usually the High-Temp silicone (red) is used in this type of sealing but could easily end up being more of a mess than the drip.
Chances are there is a low-point drain in the exhaust system.
Good luck.
OM

Red silicone worked. Hope I never have to take muffler off since it looks impossible to do so with the silicone :)

I'd rather have condensation outside the exhaust system than inside. Hopefully, there is a drain at a lower point.

I had taken off the factory exhaust and put it back on. Now I notice some condensation coming down exhaust pipe at the connection between muffler and exhaust pipe. Once bike heats up, it goes away. Should I put some High Temp RT silicone at the connection or is this not a problem.

Thank you!

Some models do require muffler movement for wheel access. There is usually a small hole to allow moisture escape from inside the exhaust pipe or silencer, especially useful and noticeable in cooler weather when more condensation takes place. Have had numerous bikes with obvious "dip" hole at lowest point of exhaust system.

Back