• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gaspe in June

morgie

Planning trip to Gaspe in June,any recommendations on hotels and restaurants appreciated. Leaving from CT and staying at friends in Maine first night. Second stop will be Campbellton then Perce or Gaspe ,then to Matane and on to Quebec City.One night in each.Probably one more night in Vt before home.Any experienced advice appreciated.

I have camped and used motels in that region a few times. I don’t remember the names of either nor their exact locations but neither were difficult to find and book.

Having said that, after my trip north of Superior last year, due to many more tourists on the road, accommodations, both with camping and motels, it was not always possible to secure a booking by just showing up as I usually have done in the past.

I recommend contacting Quebec Tourism (Ministers du Tourisme du Québec 1-418-643-5959) to possibly book your accommodation in advance. Another option is to determine where you intend to enter Quebec and inquire if there is a Welcome to Quebec Tourism Centre on that entry. Individuals working there are bilingual and can book places for you. It has been my experience that fewer people in the eastern townships are as bilingual as those further west. (When riding with a friend from PA, I asked him to book us a non-smoking room with two beds while I adjusted something on my bike. He returned telling me that no one understood him. My rusty high school/university French got us what we needed.) Ordering food off menus can also be challenging. It might be worthwhile to take a list of a few key words or phrases for getting accommodation, food and for understanding road signs.

Having said that, I find riding the Gatineau Peninsula a more interesting ride than the famed Cabot Trail, both of which I’ve done several times. You should have a excellent trip. :thumb

Cheers!

Paul

Ministère du Tourisme du Québec 1-418-643-5959

Funny I've never made it all the way around the Gaspé but is on my list. The last time I was headed that way I got caught in heavy rain and hightailed it to a friend's in PEI instead.

Regarding Quebec City, “Old Quebec City” has the feel of being taken back in time to Europe of another era. It is indeed a unique place to visit. There are two drawbacks to the “Old City”. First hotel prices are very steep with a limited number; book a room early. Besides Chateau Frontenac (be certain to explore inside the Frontenac), there a few much smaller hotels in the old city. (The outskirts of the city has more reasonably priced rooms.) Secondly, been told that motorcycles are forbidden in the “Old City” unless you have accommodation there. That was not an issue raised for us when we stayed two days and one night. Of course once you arrive, the old section is so small that travel by foot is the only way to experience the area.

I have yet to take the ferry to the north shore of the St. Lawrence River, but locals have told me that it is a more scenic shoreline to travel. On the last trip along the river we had planned on riding the north shore east from Quebec City but regrettably a bridge before the ferry location had been washed out, making the crossing inaccessible to us.

As a side note, as we travelled eastward along the south shore of the St.Lawrence River, at each rest stop my PA friend would ask if that was the ocean now beside us. The answer each time was always no, still the river. The St. Lawrence is very wide indeed and for the most part it is not possible to see the opposite shore.

Yes the north side of the St. Lawrence is nice. There are several ferries crossing the river at different points. They are fine.

Our trip on the Gaspe gave us a reality check with its size. We( me the navigator) were used to scale of US maps and Texas in particular. I looked at my trip map and didn’t do any conversions planning day one, and thinking we would complete in two days :lol I think it was three and a bit! We camped but decided day two to hotel it and waited too long entering city of Perce’ I believe. We didn’t have many choices and H was losing her humor as the rain picked up. I never told her how much that room was :eek
It was also the week prior to July Fourth and everyone was on Holiday it seemed as every provincial and national parks were packed! Still an enjoyable overall trip!

Back