• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Have Or Not To Have……Heated Seats?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
I’ve never had a heated motorcycle seat. Occasionally I ride in the mid-forties. When wearing riding pants over regular clothes, do the heated seats provide noticeable comfort?

Heated insoles are certainly worthwhile but was wondering if the heated seat option is worthwhile as I am considering ordering a new seat.

Cheers!

Paul

Toss a coin in the air!

I've found seat heating to be well worth having at times, and under pretty similar conditions, not so much. That's riding factory seats on my RT's.

I've never had a heated Sargent - running unheated one on my '15 RT, and am on the list to get another Russell - also without heat.

Unless it's cost prohibitive to you, I'd say get heat. When you want it, you will want it to be available to you.

For me- YES...Heated grips too. I CAN ride without them but they can both be nice starting out on a cool morning or a cooling dusk.

IMHO it should be really cold.

because ...

If you suffer from monkey butt when riding, consider a heated seat a monkey butt accelerator!

I have some old Gerbing heated pant liners that I might wear to keep warm, but I would probably not actually plug them in.

Best reason to have heated seat might be to please your passenger.

Heated seats, at least for me, heat the inside of my thighs, which is where the big artery lives. Heat the blood up top and it's still warm when it gets to your feet.

It took me a while to realize that.

Monkey butt? Stop wearing cotton underwear which retains moisture and makes you either hot, cold or funky.

I have a heated seat on my 2018 RT, I have not used it. My wife runs the rear seat heat some. I do have a heated jacket liner, and use the heated grips. I run a Bead Rider on the seat and figured it wouldn't transfer the heat so I have never tried it. If it is that cold I often am wearing ski bibs.

Living up here in the tundra I will get out and ride in cold weather fairly often, I will ride in the fall until the snow makes the roads unpredictable.

I definitely like having a heated seat and have had them on several bikes. Even with my heated gear, I find that it helps to better regulate the correct amount of heat you get to differing parts of your body.

I also rode my GSA to work over the winter when it was 12F out (9-15F was what the display showed on my ride). But even at not such sub-freezing temps, I like having the ability to add heat. My wife loves the heated seat on her Triumph as well.

One trick I've done is I've bought a Dorman universal seat heater setup and put that into a non-heated seat if I had one I liked. I've done this with success and they're around $50.

Yep

Its nice to have heated seats and grips when you are out riding and suddenly gets cold...or short trips where you dont want to bundle too much...

Thank for all the warm feedback. :thumb

Now I just have to get off my butt and get around to ordering a new seat,with heat.

Paul

4 bikes have had heated seats and grips. I use the grips often enough, the seat not so much [ but when I want that heated seat, it's there and has been used on a few occasions ]

I use my heated grips much more often than the seat, but the seat is great when the situation demands. I don't need it so much as a butt warmer, but it does a good job as a thigh warmer which tends to radiate the heat well to my legs.

The worst thing with heated seats and grips is when your riding buddies play games turning both on in Summer. You’re riding along and start squirming around wondering why your tail feathers are on fire. Watching a payback unfold in front of you is priceless!

Currently don’t have a bike with option, but as mentioned, nice to hit a switch on occasion. Do have an aftermarket gel heated pad we have used on occasion.

Grips as well! H has an aftermarket set on one bike that even on very cold days, you can’t run on high very long without the hand dance :lol

My current bike, '21 GSA, is the first I've owned with a heated seat.
I find it to be one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had one.

Just sayin....

My current bike, '21 GSA, is the first I've owned with a heated seat.
I find it to be one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had one.

Just sayin....

Amen brother. I have riding buddy who has a GSA. It has a heated seat . He claims it gave him hemorrhoids :D

Hmm. Obviously a limited genius.

Your buddy appears to not understand they have buttons to turn the heat on or off....:doh

Back