• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Darlas on a F750GS

motodan

Going to add a Clearwater Darla lights system to my '22 F750GS, anyone have experience doing so? Any tips to share? Thanks

I will be following this. I would like to add additional lighting to the F800GS. A “plug and play” package would be nice and save my making a circuit up.
Looking for the nice “triangle” visibility light pattern.

OM

The Darlas come with a very good wiring harness. You can just wire it directly to the battery with the included inline fuse. Adding a relay to the circuit will allow the lights to be on a switched circuit and go off when the ignition is off. A more sophisticated approach is to integrate the lights into the bikes’s switch system. The easiest way is to use an ezCAN to control the lights. Annie has one on her F8GS and it works well. We also have exCANs on our R12GS and GSA. A fuse block as another option, specifically one with an internal relay (FuzeBloc) so that the lights will be on a switched circuit. Alternatively, a power distribution module, such as a PDM60, will also offer a good way to power and control the lights. Lots of options, but I recommend the ezCAN. They had some problems with units failing but were good about replacing faulty units; they seem to have that issue fixed.

I have a set of Darlas on a F700GS. I first put them on my new FJR in 2013 and now, 10 years later they are on their 5th bike. They have survived many miles and some abuse.

Kevin, is ezCan better than the CANopener sold with Clearwater lights?

Buying Darla's specifically for a F750GS should include a CANopener, making it a pretty simple/plug and play option. If you insisted on using an ezCan, you would have to replace the connectors on the lights.

Buying Darla's specifically for a F750GS should include a CANopener, making it a pretty simple/plug and play option. If you insisted on using an ezCan, you would have to replace the connectors on the lights.

In an installation like this, (CANopener) what would control turning the lights on and off?

OM

In an installation like this, (CANopener) what would control turning the lights on and off?

OM

They turn on or off with the ignition.
You can adjust the brightness with the wonder wheel plus you can have a low and high beam setting.
On our bikes when the bike is on low beam the Darlas are at 50% power. On high beam the Darlas automatically change to 100% power.

OM
The lights are controlled (intensity, on/off) through a combination of the Wonderwheel, turn signals and the bike's ambient light sensor. If you get a generic (non-vehicle specific kit), then in place of a CANopener, you get a 2 knob control device to adjust intensity and on/off.

They turn on or off with the ignition.
You can adjust the brightness with the wonder wheel plus you can have a low and high beam setting.
On our bikes when the bike is on low beam the Darlas are at 50% power. On high beam the Darlas automatically change to 100% power.

The lights are controlled (intensity, on/off) through a combination of the Wonderwheel, turn signals and the bike's ambient light sensor. If you get a generic (non-vehicle specific kit), then in place of a CANopener, you get a 2 knob control device to adjust intensity and on/off.

Sorta what I was thinking. No Wonderwheel on my F800GS. I will probably have to make up a wiring circuit with a conveniently placed switch.
Thanks.
OM

Sorta what I was thinking. No Wonderwheel on my F800GS. I will probably have to make up a wiring circuit with a conveniently placed switch.
Thanks.
OM

Go to ClearwaterLights's website. They offer complete kits such that you should have nothing to fabricate and as little as possible (if anything) to tap into then stock wiring harness. I believe their kit will vary depending on the vintage of F800GS you have. It will come with an intensity knob.

Go to ClearwaterLights's website. They offer complete kits such that you should have nothing to fabricate and as little as possible (if anything) to tap into then stock wiring harness. I believe their kit will vary depending on the vintage of F800GS you have. It will come with an intensity knob.

I would also call in and talk to the owner or one of the engineers.
They're very good about answering questions.
They're quick to answer emails but a phone call might be better for technical questions.

Thanks.
OM

For the F800 - the HexEZcan controls the on/off and intensity levels using the clutch switch (pull or not pulled) and the multifunction display paging button (the one that switches the multifunction display from current mpg, mpg, etc.).

Back