• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A question regarding Red Kote tank coating

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
The good news is that I had my gas tank cleaned and recoated. While the local company came recommended, I do have one slight issue. They used Red Kote to as the liner. For better or worse, they had to use two coats. Unfortunately, this narrowed the holes for the petcocks to the point that the copper petcock filters will not fit in. As such, I need to thin the coating. Does anyone know what would be good to use?

I'll be interested in this discussion! I need to derust/reline my R25/2 and I was worried about this very issue. :scratch

I would probably call the vendor and ask them about their normal procedure when this happens. I’m not sure what you are trying to “thin” or it’s location….. I’m thinking it is interior?
OM

I would probably call the vendor and ask them about their normal procedure when this happens. I’m not sure what you are trying to “thin” or it’s location….. I’m thinking it is interior?
OM

I probably should have started with this. So, after a phone call, it was recommended to use Acetone on a rag or brush to slowly remove/wipe away the RedKote until the opening is large enough for the petcock with the filter. I think I'm going to stick to a rag, since it was also recommended not to get the Acetone on the paint. Brush can "flick" material. He also said MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) is a better alternative, but isn't sold here in California. FYI, they use Acetone to remove the rust in case anyone is curious. They also pressure tested the tank to make sure it's tight, which is a benefit of having them do it.

M.e.k.

I use Red-Kote on all gas tanks that need it. I don't think acetone will touch it but I could be wrong. I use M.E.K. to clean out the extra stull in the lid and petcock tubes, you don't have the option apparently. I would take a sharp ex-acto knife or narrow blade and physically clear out the Red-Kote slag from the petcock outlets and then blow some high pressure air through the fill cap opening.

I don't think acetone will touch it but I could be wrong. I use M.E.K. to clean out the extra stull in the lid and petcock tubes, you don't have the option apparently.
This came from the company that re-coats gas tanks with Red Kote. They use acetone to clean things up. He did say that I may have to let the acetone sit for a few minutes. So, I think it's possible just not as effective as M.E.K. On a side note, the manufacture of Red Kote indicates in their instructions to use Acetone to thin Red Kote. I will give an update after I "clean" things up.

Good news. If you do get a little bogged down, you can try fingernail polish remover.

OM

Nail polish remover is not acetone. In some cases it might include some acetone. But you can give it a try and see if it works, but a pint of acetone was not that expensive.

From an online search

Nail polish remover is a solution of limonene, methyl pyrrolidone, and cetyl acetate that together can dissolve the color in the nail polish. Acetone may also be added to the nail polish remover to make it more effective.

https://naildesigncode.com/nail-polish-remover-vs-acetone/

Nail polish remover is not acetone. In some cases it might include some acetone. But you can give it a try and see if it works, but a pint of acetone was not that expensive.

From an online search

Nail polish remover is a solution of limonene, methyl pyrrolidone, and cetyl acetate that together can dissolve the color in the nail polish. Acetone may also be added to the nail polish remover to make it more effective.

https://naildesigncode.com/nail-polish-remover-vs-acetone/

Some have MEK as an ingredient.

OM

[QUOTE

https://naildesigncode.com/nail-polish-remover-vs-acetone/[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe I opened that link and read about the differences between acetone and nail polish remover.
My life is that small. I need to go for a ride.

Back