• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help with choosing led driving lights for my 85 r80rt

So, as Click n’Clack said; “It’s the stingy man who spends the most!”

Ya tend to get what U pay for (most of the time)! Find what’s right for your situation!

Sláinte! HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

:1drink

The exception being BMW parts which are outrageously overpriced. There are many examples of being able to buy the exact part that BMW uses and made by the same manufacturer that BMW sourced from at considerably lower prices by shopping around.

The exception being BMW parts which are outrageously overpriced. There are many examples of being able to buy the exact part that BMW uses and made by the same manufacturer that BMW sourced from at considerably lower prices by shopping around.

True, but I've found that true for most OEM parts, regardless of the manufacturer.

True, but I've found that true for most OEM parts, regardless of the manufacturer.

When Ducati and BMW share the same OEM supplier and parts it is not unusual to see the KTM part selling at 1/3 the price of the identical BMW part.

This was recently pointed out in a tire pressure thread posted here. BMW wants US$220 for the Schrader 3141M sensor and KTM sells it for US$70.

There are a great many similar examples. When it comes to outrageous parts pricing BMW is in a class of its own especially in NA. Many find it cheaper to order BMW parts from the EU even with the shipping cost.

I ended up buying some LEDs on Amazon to experiment with the piaa 1100x lights. I got the 70watt@640 lumens, 5000k cool light level. I will give an update later once I give them a try. If they do work out and anyone looking for original piaa 1100x bulbs I'll donate them. I have 2.
I'm in the process of installing a Reynolds rack, a fuze block and the lights. I'll report back in a few days once work is completed.
Thanks for all the help.

When Ducati and BMW share the same OEM supplier and parts it is not unusual to see the KTM part selling at 1/3 the price of the identical BMW part.

This was recently pointed out in a tire pressure thread posted here. BMW wants US$220 for the Schrader 3141M sensor and KTM sells it for US$70.

There are a great many similar examples. When it comes to outrageous parts pricing BMW is in a class of its own especially in NA. Many find it cheaper to order BMW parts from the EU even with the shipping cost.

For better or worse, luxury vehicles come with "luxury premium." Here's an example not from BMW. I owned an Acura a while back. I had my mechanic say that the exact same part under the Honda name was hell of a lot cheaper than the exact same part with an Acura name (I don't remember the exact amount but there was a big premium for the Acura part over the Honda part--I think it was close to twice as expensive for the Acura part, but my memory could be wrong here). Both parts identical and made by/for Honda.

For better or worse, luxury vehicles come with "luxury premium." Here's an example not from BMW. I owned an Acura a while back. I had my mechanic say that the exact same part under the Honda name was hell of a lot cheaper than the exact same part with an Acura name (I don't remember the exact amount but there was a big premium for the Acura part over the Honda part--I think it was close to twice as expensive for the Acura part, but my memory could be wrong here). Both parts identical and made by/for Honda.
More like a "gullibility premium". Apparently a majority of BMW owners think that there is something special about BMW parts and have a willingness to pay more. This willingness to pay is ruthlessly exploited. So convinced are some people that if one suggests that there are lesser cost identical parts one gets accused of harming the brand. Crazy. The whole idea behind a functioning market economy is that consumers have the information they need to make informed choices.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have tested the lights off my bike and they do work, however I'm struggling with my Reynolds rack #230 specific for my 85r80rt. I will post an update once I get past this hurdle with the rack. I put up another post inquiring help with the rack install, so if anyone has any insight on it I would be very greatful. Thanks again, John

Help with led driving lights

I have been waiting for an Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness and their PC8 fuse block. I will be installing them and then I will put my piaa 1100 lights with the led bulbs I bought and see how the light output is. I will post my results once I get it put back together. This may not be the most direct route on how to achieve better night vision but it's educational and enjoyable. Thanks to all the input and suggestions from fellow members.

Here is the update from original post.
I installed an h4 headlight harness from Eastern Beaver along with their PC8 fuse block.
I have an LED headlight h4 bulb that I just removed to try a Hella 100-55 h4 bulb trying to achieve better throw and visibility on hibeam. Have not driven at night with it yet.
I installed a pair of 70 watt led bulbs from Amazon into my Piaa 1100x pods. Brand name is Linkind.I have tried them out at night and they don't produce the the light achievement I am looking for. If anyone wants to try this setup out let me know. I have the Piaa and more of the Linkind bulbs. I will update this post when I try some other lights for auxiliary lights. Thanks John

Back