• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Eschewing Newer Motorcycles

McBeemer

The other day I was listening to an episode of the Airhead 247 Podcast in which the host, Daren Dortin, is interviewing Elspeth Beard. There is a point in the interview in which the two of them begin espousing their philosophies on technology getting in the way of motorcycling adventure or at least detracting from it. Dortin states that he doesn’t use a GPS but relies on state gazetteers for both planning and navigating on trips (I believe he says that doesn’t even own a cell phone). Dortin, who owns a number of airheads, goes on to say that he’s only ever purchased one new motorcycle and that he didn’t keep it long.

This got me thinking about the type of person that eschews newer motorcycles and their philosophy towards the motorcycling lifestyle. What are the personal reasons for those that use their bikes on a regular basis for traveling, commuting, and canyon carving to view their airheads as their preferred mounts? Why choose to only own older bikes/airheads? Why does someone choose to not own both newer bikes as a daily rider and airheads, etc. for enjoyment (assuming financially feasible)? Is it really just the ease of maintenance? Expense? Childhood nostalgia? Or does that type of person subscribe to a different philosophy?

I am currently on my tenth bike and my first BMW, all but two purchased new. I have only owned one “classic” bike, a 1983 H-D Super Glide. That bike was fun to ride and I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well it performed considering its age. That being said, it was never going to be my choice for anything more than local rides down country backroads due to the vibration above 60 mph and a lack of wind protection in Winter. Now that I have retired from the military and looking to possibly reduce expenses, I have considered going to only owning an airhead. It has made me ponder this philosophy and wonder, could I be one of these folks and live with only an older bike(s)?

If you’re a person that only owns older bikes, what is your philosophy on the bikes you have?

~Jim

If you’re a person that only owns older bikes, what is your philosophy on the bikes you have?

Weight, cost and complexity have gotten out of control with BMW Motorrad, imo. I have sold all my later-model BMWs and kept my G/SPD. That said, I've invested about $4k in the bike below on updates like Wedgetail ignition, Motorrad Elektrik charging, Acewell speedometer... this doesn't count additional money spent on Kent Holt paint, some Siebenrock bits, Gian Stichermann graphics, hipster seat bag from MaxKaido in Italy, and an endless list of NOS parts from MAX. Just got my carbs cleaned and rebuilt instead of putting on some Mikunis. And all this was recent... 25 years ago I had this built into a sleeper, R100, 40mm carburetors, dual-plug, Fox Twin-clicker, Racetech Gold Valve cartridge emulators, HPN fork springs..... my philosophy is to keep making refinements over time.

GSPD_Refurb-X3.jpg

This is one of my two modern bikes... Honda CB500X. This bike, imo, represents a major hole in the BMW Motorrad product lineup: $6k new, 500cc fuel-injected, 425 pounds, it's a Honda.

Ian_Stelvio-X3.jpg

And, how could I possibly sell this bike... the original adventure bike:

IMG_0585-X3.jpg

Never, EVER should have sold this bike... 420lbs, 110hp, blueprinted engine, no ABS or other gee-gaws... it was perfect.

IMG_1168-X2.jpg

That said, I've invested about $4k in the bike below on updates

And having seen the collections of bikes of the folks on here and the money they have spent making small upgrades has me convinced that it's not a financial motivation.

Great looking bikes and love the Trail 90!

And having seen the collections of bikes of the folks on here and the money they have spent making small upgrades has me convinced that it's not a financial motivation.

Great looking bikes and love the Trail 90!

Yes, I was trying to make that point in a roundabout way. I did say "cost"... but, as the saying goes "those who know the cost of everything know the value of nothing."

35 years of progressive refinement to a motorcycle that is "just right" for me is an investment in my personal satisfaction. I built a long-term relationship that offers WAY more rewards than the monetary value of the bike.

The only bike I would say delivered more value in that respect was my '67 R69S, 10 minutes on that bike and all is right with the world.

There are way too many bikes in my past that I never should have sold...

R96S_Ian.jpg

Interesting topic.

I subscribe to the saying, "Be happy with what you have".

I've had my '74 R90s for over forty years and my 2004 RT since it was new. The RT has just enough technology (ABS, electric windshield, heated grips) to make me a bit safer on longer trips, without the need for:

Gear Shift Pro
Ride Modes Pro
Adaptive Cruise, etc., etc., you get the idea....

I'm not denigrating any of the new technology, but some recent test rides on a new RT haven't convinced me that any of that technology makes a more enjoyable ride. And $25,000 -$28,000 for a new bike? C'mon.

I can take my R90s out for a fun ride on some Michigan twisties and still marvel at its dated performance. And on longer trips, my old RT still has enough performance to get me into trouble, the brakes are still incredible and the bike is reliable and super comfortable. Oh, and isn't worth much, so I don't need to worry about it getting stolen. :)

Last edited:
I love a simple old bike, but at the same time, I am simply becoming older. I'm cognizant of the decline in my riding skills and have no aversion to adding newer technology to my riding. I'm going to move my RT and my Ducati 916 and probably buy something from BMW made in the last couple of years.

I was notably faster ten years ago. Ten years from now, I'll be slower, but I'd still like to be able to ride as safely as possible. I'm actually seeking a "more complicated" bike to ensure I don't leave my wife of nearly 40 years a widow, right as we retire.

My /2 and my R100, along with my '98 VFR will remain, but they'll share a garage with a modern bike that keeps me safer.

I don't think it has to presented as a sort of "false binary", which is common in these kind of discussions. Forcing this as a choice seems like a weird idea. It's possible to quite enjoy wrenching on my /2 while I appreciate that my newer bike is looking out for me in ways the /2 isn't.

To my thinking, sure, let's keep a couple pretty elemental bikes in the garage, but if I'm heading somewhere a ways away, I'd appreciate the latest ABS and stability controls if things get weird.

To my thinking, sure, let's keep a couple pretty elemental bikes in the garage, but if I'm heading somewhere a ways away, I'd appreciate the latest ABS and stability controls if things get weird.

Or, you could get a smaller bike without enough power to get you in trouble?

I test-rode an S1000XR at Bikeweek, they've come a long way since I tried one out at Laguna Seca 5 years ago, but I didn't even want to find out how the bike rode in "Dynamic" mode. :eek

I bought my first BMW and loved the simplicity of it as well as the styling. That bike was traded in for a newer bike that had a beautiful, functional simple full factory fairing as well as electronic ignition and dual front disc brakes. I have kept that bike now for 39 years, and 240,000 miles. It gets ridden all year round when there is not ice and the roads are dry enough to keep salt spray down.

I bought my second BMW used and it was and still is in my mind the most beautiful BMW ever made. Sadly, I just wrecked it so I won't be putting a lot of miles on it.

The start of the K bikes in 85, and then the boxer oil heads in 95, marked my split with BMW, I didn't like the complexity of the K bikes nor the oil head bikes. BMW wrapping everything in expensive and to my eyes ugly plastic panels and fairings, killed my love for BMW.

More and more complex bikes and the BMW dealership system really put me off the newer bikes. I like being able to repair my own bikes and change oil and such without an enormous bill.

To me motorcycles should be simple, my two bikes do everything I ask them to do without high prices and high HP. I am not tied to a dealership that may or may not provide good customer service. Unlike my car, where I have a few dealers nearby giving me an option to deal with the best dealer for service, BMW dealerships are either non existent in my area or there is a single dealership covering a wide area. I have been reading the MOA forum for awhile and sometimes BMW dealerships don't give the best customer experience.

In my mind motorcycles should be simple and fun, mine are that. As I have said in other posts, BMW built a nearly perfect motorcycle, I bought it and with some of the aftermarket accessories, I have moved closer to the perfect bike for me. St.

Or, you could get a smaller bike without enough power to get you in trouble?

I test-rode an S1000XR at Bikeweek, they've come a long way since I tried one out at Laguna Seca 5 years ago, but I didn't even want to find out how the bike rode in "Dynamic" mode. :eek

It's more about weight than power for me. The RT is too much right now, where I used to be able to chase sport bikes with it, even with Tina and all our crap on it.

I just bought my 2nd airhead that I'm looking forward to touring on. I have done long runs on my R65 that I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed for and it worked great. But I also have a couple of KTM's that I love for what they do and how they do it. I am a little put off by the level of technology in the new machinery but I get how it got there and why. For now I have no interest in anything new and I like the simplicity of not even owning a bike with ABS.

I think many features on new machines are interesting, but I simply refuse to be held hostage to proprietary designs that are only marginally reliable AND outrageously expensive to repair or replace. BMW has this covered pretty well, and it’s not unusual for a unique fit (but common function) part to cost many times the going price of a more common substitute. $2300 for a single shock? $2000 for a headlight? $1200 for a stator? $180 for a fuel filter/regulator? Say what?

I’m guessing most first time buyers are unaware of the potential maintenance cost liability one assumes when purchasing any complex BMW product. Granted, they are nice machines but they can also quickly become disappointing money pits. Simple to maintain and repair can be a good thing, especially over the long haul.

I’ve been riding BMW for 25 years, all airheads until my current ride a 2013 R1200R. It’s been extremely reliable and easy to maintain. I doubt that I will ever buy newer and, if the right airhead comes along, I will regress. I miss all the airheads that I’ve owned; RT, RS and GS. The R1200R has been great, so I’m in no hurry to replace it. It is owner serviceable, which can’t be said for the new BMW fleet.

Doug

What bikes are best?

Like many on here, I'm getting older, and strength and stamina, are lessening. These deficiencies can't help but affect choices when it comes to which machines one enjoys riding. I've got a racey bike with upright seating (XR), an 850 dual sport, an RT for longer cruising, and an old Virago cruiser. I like'em all, and they're all different. I know the traction control has saved me a few times, from potentially going down, or having a "come to Jesus" moment. I've finally decided I'm going to sell the Virago. I've done a lot of work on it recently (rebuilt both front brake calipers, serviced the forks with new seals and oil, replaced a crankcase oil level switch o-ring, and now doing cosmetic upgrading (check out the right fork leg just finished, next to the left one, next in line for refurbing):

forkRedo2_26feb23.jpg

I'm tired of the maintenance though, and although I can do it, and have all the tools, I'd rather ride. Don't mind installing farkles and oil/filter changes, etc. Anyway, the Virago's clutch pull is tough on my wrists, it makes a lot of noise with the double d's exhaust slipons, harder on my hearing, and although bigger engine than my F850 dual, has less power. The brakes are single pot, and don't pull the bike down like the Beemers do. One does consider consequences of their actions a lot more as they get older, and I would not like to leave my wife a widow either, as one poster remarked.

I'm looking at a CB1100 to replace the Virago. Smooth-smooth 4 cylinder power, fuel injected, abs, hydraulic clutch pull, modern brakes, etc. Similar style to some extent, and the bike is newer (2014). But what I really like is how the thing looks. We don't talk about it much, but standing there viewing the bike as we don our helmets getting ready for a ride, is part of it. Its also a lot of fun selling one and buying another, a bit of adventure, some farkling, and enjoyment.

It's more about weight than power for me. The RT is too much right now, where I used to be able to chase sport bikes with it, even with Tina and all our crap on it.

Well with power always comes weight, except that badass HP2 enduro. One blip of the loud handle and you’d be around those sporty bikes… well, at least out of corners! :burnout

Does anyone feel that these older bikes provide a more direct experience? Do you feel that wrenching on your bike has created a more personal bond with the machine that enhances your riding experience?

I find something admirable about folks like Skibum that still tour on "smaller" bikes like an R65, etc. I remember reading Peter Egan's first collection of Cycle World essays, titled Leanings, and being completely fascinated with his stories of travel on his old Triumphs. I'm curious if it is less about the bike you're riding and more about the way you are traveling. Is it more about leaving open the space for a unique trip experience, e.g. camping instead of hotels, old bike character instead of complete reliability, etc.?

This year I plan to be touring on my KTM 525 which is pretty small but for the almost 2000 km's of dirt we plan to hit it will be amazing! I've done a lot of touring on my KTM 640 Adventure too. It doesn't get much simpler than an old school single cylinder.

That being said my newest to me bike is an '83 R100 RS which I think is going to be excellent! I need to figure out the throttle weirdness first.

Bought a '22 Royal Enfield INT 650 and a '22 F750GS last year. At age 75 I wanted less weight and certainly didn't need more power. So now I have two new bikes, one with all the touring power/gear necessary and one that has only a fuel meter and ABS. The 650 takes me back 6 (most fun) decades in style, but has adequate power, modern brakes, is injected and simple to work on. The 750 has more than enough power and all the tech I would ever want (actually even more). After early decades of 165 to 750cc Hondas, 650 to 1100cc Kawasaki bikes, 1100cc Yamahas, late 1000 to 1690cc Harley's and '73 to '22 R&K series (mostly RT's) BMW's, this is where I'll end. Lighter, adequate power, mix of older simplicity and newer technology delivered satisfactory. As far as Airheads go, still love the vintage vibe however, neither need nor want wooden brakes, higher potential for fuel leaks, continual maintenance and lack of modern basic safety technology.

Well with power always comes weight, except that badass HP2 enduro. One blip of the loud handle and you’d be around those sporty bikes… well, at least out of corners! :burnout

S1000R is about 425lbs. R1250R is about a hundred more and is down almost 50 hp.

Lighter and lower is the objective, with some decent ergonomics. F900R/XR, S1000R not RR, kind of in that weight range.

The V100 Maranello is attractive, especially with electronically adjustable Ohlins from the factory, but I think I'd like something more in the 450 pound range.

Does anyone feel that these older bikes provide a more direct experience? Do you feel that wrenching on your bike has created a more personal bond with the machine that enhances your riding experience?

I find something admirable about folks like Skibum that still tour on "smaller" bikes like an R65, etc. I remember reading Peter Egan's first collection of Cycle World essays, titled Leanings, and being completely fascinated with his stories of travel on his old Triumphs. I'm curious if it is less about the bike you're riding and more about the way you are traveling. Is it more about leaving open the space for a unique trip experience, e.g. camping instead of hotels, old bike character instead of complete reliability, etc.?

No. I work on my bikes, but I also understand that newer technology is way, way more reliable than points/condenser and carbs. So I've learned to work on them. You just need some knowledge, some tools and a place to work/learn.

I'm stuck in the middle ground here...

I like EFI rather than carbs... EFI doesn't go south quite as easily. Sure, old gas will make it run kinda crappy, but the fix is pouring in some fresh gas. Old gas in a carb often means taking the carb out and cleaning it.
I like ABS... it's not required, but it's nice to have during a panic stop for when I mess up and give the brakes a bit too much pressure. ABS tends to correct a skid faster than I do.

On the other hand, *NEW* bikes seem to have gone tech overboard. I'm scared to know what that fancy LCD screen is going to cost when it breaks 10 or 15 years from now.

I can find aftermarket speedos and tachs for my *old* bikes... change out faulty power switches for the AUX lights and GPS mounts... but that fancy LCD screen is entirely dedicated to that specific bike.
There is no aftermarket for it, and that is a scary thought. If the screen dies, you have no option but to buy it directly from the manufacturer, who may or may not still build them.

I see a future where a perfectly good motorcycle is non-operable and deemed worthless because a damaged LCD screen would cost multiple thousands of $$$ to replace.
I hope I'm wrong and these LCDs just keep getting cheaper & cheaper where a replacement is only a couple hundred $$ instead.

Back