• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS Windscreen Restoration

VIEJO

Riders,

The windscreen on my 2003 K1200RS is in remarkably good condition for its age, but it is starting to show its age. I clean it on a regular basis and have used Plexus since the bike was new. Is there a way to polish it back to its original condition.... or as nearly to original as possible?

Thanks,

Dave

@Viejo

Automotive Headlight kits are intended to remove the outer layer of oxidized plastic. I'm guessing that you have surface damage that you'd like to either remove or minimize in which case
Google "aircraft windscreen polish / repair" and a large number of products will come up. You are looking at kits targeted towards older small unpressurized aircraft like single engine Cessnas and Pipers.

Any aircraft repair station could either do the job or refer you but I assume you'd like to do it your self and that you don't want to pay aviation pricing.
Vintage Motorsport magazine usually has advertising for specialty firms that offer plastic/Lexan windscreen polish/repair as well.

We might want to note that the headlight restoration kits are specifically designed to remove a coating that's put on headlights that gets cloudy when exposed to years of UV. This may not be the best solution for a bike windscreen that, I presume, has no protective coating that's yellowed and cloudy.

It's a different problem than a scratched or aging bit of plastic.

I'd consider using Novus' line of plastic polishes that are designed for what you'd like to do. As mentioned above, products designed for aircraft are what you probably want.

For cars with headlights that are cloudy, +1 on Cerakote.

Just noting that the Cerakote kit uses 2000 and 3000 grit.
This is for polishing an already smooth surface and/or removing a surface layer of oxidation.
If that's what you need - perfect.

Try removing actual surface damage with 2000 let alone 3000......and let us know how long that takes....
If your windscreen has scratches/crazing/pits from road debris impact it will need to be approached with something different than a "head light polish kit"

Just noting that the Cerakote kit uses 2000 and 3000 grit.
This is for polishing an already smooth surface and/or removing a surface layer of oxidation.
If that's what you need - perfect.

Try removing actual surface damage with 2000 let alone 3000......and let us know how long that takes....
If your windscreen has scratches/crazing/pits from road debris impact it will need to be approached with something different than a "head light polish kit"

If it's truly gouged, you might as well buy another one, in my experience.

BMW windscreens are made out of Lexan - the trade name for Polycarbonate - Polycarbonate is a very tough but soft plastic that scratches easily if not protected by a "Hardcoat". When the "Hardcoat" begins to deteriorate it often turns yellow and sometimes delaminates from the polycarbonate. If you try to polish the BMW windshield with an abrasive it will get hazy and the more you polish the hazier it gets, due to scratching of the soft plastic under the "Hardcoat".

Most aftermarket windscreens and aircraft windscreens are manufactured out of acrylic - a hard but much more brittle plastic. Acrylic windscreens can successfully be polished as they do not have a "Hardcoat" applied to the plastic.

National Cycle - VStream - same company - makes polycarbonate windscreens for your '03 K1200RS

http://www.nationalcycle.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/id/142

@bigjohnsd

good to know the difference between Lexan/Polycarb and Acrylic!

thanks.

I am the 4th owner of my 2003 K1200RS and it came with a freakishly tall, strangely curved windscreen adorned with clamp on air foils and was thoroughly scratched/damaged over much of it's surface.
I ordered a BMW OEM windscreen from Bob's and it arrived from Germany in 5 days at a "delivered to my door" price of $265.
Pics of new OEM screen installed:

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2874.jpg

@ kbasa

I just saw a pic of a K1200RS with the same grotesque windscreen that I removed immediately after purchasing the bike and the pic caption said it was a “CEE Bailey”.

Back