• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1964 R69S BMW locking gas cap problem

101r69s

Good morning folks! I'm the proud new owner of a 1964 R69S. I just trailered it home yesterday from a local auction. It has about 6500 mi's on it that I believe are original. All appears to be factory original on the bike and it's in very good shape.
I haven't been a BMW guy but I truly am now! One of my best friends has always ridden them and can never say enough about them... he's happy to have pulled me into his league.

I have about a million questions but I'll simply start with a few basics today.

The motor is free turning but I'm not going to try to start it until I can view the inside of the fuel tank and get things cleaned up, fresh fuel line filters and probably do a carb rebuild.

First off, the gas tank has a "BMW" locking gas cap which is screwed up where the key inserts. I can turn the cap by hand but when looking into the "covered" opening, it looks like a spring has come loose and as I turn the cap, it wants to come out of the entrance hole. NOT GOOD! So, would the cap have used the ignition switch key to open it, maybe the tool box key, or would it have been a totally different key?

If I can't get this unlocked... is there some way to get the cap off without damaging anything except maybe the locking internals. Obviously, at least to me, I'd like to get the cap off with as little damage to it as possible so that maybe I can find a locksmith to repair it. Original is original...

Who and where is the best source for vintage parts like basics... carb gasket sets, fresh rubber grommets for headlight wiring etc.

Thanks to all in advance, any and all advice is more than welcome!120230308_163127.jpeg120230308_162952.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice purchase. I didn't think that these bikes came from BMW with a locking gas. The gas caps later on in the '70s can be removed by drilling holes, but I don't know about how one can defeat the locking mechanism on these caps.

As for parts, the original go-to place was Benchmark works operated by Vech. But he sold all his supplies to Max BMW. So you might want to call Max BMW and talk to them about your vintage parts.

Thanks for the info Kurt.

I've been to the MAX site and it looks to be very helpful for vintage parts. Since I haven't dealt with them yet I was simply looking for advice or other dealers of vintage parts.

So, maybe the cap was an add-on after the fact part. I'm certain that I can drill it but I'd prefer not to get the drilling chips into the tank and it would just be nice if there was a simple solution to removing it.... but since it's a locking cap I doubt if this is going to be the case.

If anyone out there has a locking cap can they tell me if it excepts the ignition key or if it was a separate key. It somewhat looks like the ignition key might fit it but if it's a separate key then I might as well go ahead and drill it... as I don't have any other keys.

Thanks again

In the owners manual, I see that the lockable gas cap was a "Special Accessory" that was available. As such, I'm hoping that the ignition key would if this cap... if I can figure out how to remove it without ruining it.

In the owners manual, I see that the lockable gas cap was a "Special Accessory" that was available. As such, I'm hoping that the ignition key would if this cap... if I can figure out how to remove it without ruining it.

Most of these are very simple locks. I mystified an owner of an older Porsche when I unlocked the 4 wheel locks on his new to him car. You didn't fill in your profile yet, maybe someone local with lock experience could help you out.

OM

The ignition key on an R69S is called a nail, basically just a spike that sticks into the hole. Doubt anything like that would work on a more standard key lock for the cap.

Thanks for the support.
Yes, the ignition key looks too long for the it to work in the tank cap... but, being new to the BMW world and never having had the cap off the tank and German engineering as such, I figured it was worth asking the question.
I'll continue my adventure as time allows since I have shop full of projects and 5 to 10" of snow on the way today and tonight. So, the 64' won't be hitting the road anytime soon and much more to do before we will be going down the Mississippi River Road together. That said, I haven't needed a 6 volt battery since I was in high school and driving a 65 VW bus! Or was it the 62' bus? Either way, I'm thinking that one of those gas caps would probably fit this bike!
Take care,
John

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a nice purchase. I didn't think that these bikes came from BMW with a locking gas. The gas caps later on in the '70s can be removed by drilling holes, but I don't know about how one can defeat the locking mechanism on these caps.

As for parts, the original go-to place was Benchmark works operated by Vech. But he sold all his supplies to Max BMW. So you might want to call Max BMW and talk to them about your vintage parts.

I've got the bill of sale for mine, delivered in Germany and it has a locking gas cap listed. It looks just like the one in the photo.
A 1967 R60 US.

If this is an R69S, didn't they all come with the Sporttank and sport bars, not the US bars, like this one? I'm no authority, just trying to learn.

Going back to the owners manual/instruction manual, I see the 6 1/2 gallon "oversize fuel tank" as a Special Accessory" along with the "cross-country" handlebars.

This S69R has a locking tool box cabinet built into the gas tank and I think it's a 4 1/2 gallon capacity. I don't have enough knowledge of the handlebars to make a call on which ones are on this bike. I did get what I think should be the original seat, "dual seat", "wider seat model for the USA market".

You have the US bars. It's possible that the key for the toolbox could fit the gas cap but I really am not sure. Yes you have the nominal standard tank which is about 4 and 1/2 gallons in capacity.

You've probably already looked but search all the storage areas and in the tool roll if it's still there, maybe a spare key is hidden some where on the bike.

Here is a video demonstrating how to remove a generic motorcycle gas cap without a key. The first two suggestions are punching out the lock mechanism.

But, far more interesting was how the content creator picked the lock and walked us through how to pick the lock. Good stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_wkwKZLDCB-KO0PEPx4yQ8A0_34

Cheers

Kurt, I'll post a better pic of the cap this afternoon. I need to plow some snow before I settle into the shop for the day.

Manitou, thanks for the video, this guy makes picking the lock look pretty easy!

I've got the bill of sale for mine, delivered in Germany and it has a locking gas cap listed. It looks just like the one in the photo.
A 1967 R60 US.

If this is an R69S, didn't they all come with the Sporttank and sport bars, not the US bars, like this one? I'm no authority, just trying to learn.

Hey, Kbasa, thank for the info! So, I'm wondering if I could lean on you to take a picture of the opened tank and the bottom of the lock?
It would be good to see what the underside of the lock looks like and give me a better idea of what I'm up against.

Thanks! I thought I had one of these gas caps, but can't seem to find it or even an old picture. I thought it said "Hama" on the top of it. It had a small little "door" that would swing and reveal the key slot. This is a picture of the key as far as I remember.

CapKey.jpg

You've probably already looked but search all the storage areas and in the tool roll if it's still there, maybe a spare key is hidden some where on the bike.

Yes, that's a good point and I'll look everything over again. I had the toolkit out but I didn't dump it upside down and feel for a key, I'll do that.
Also, I did look the toolbox key over but haven't tried it in the lock yet.
As I said on an earlier post, looking into the lock body, there's a few parts of the lock that don't look right! When I swing the rain cover off to the side and look in, there's what looks like a tail end of a spring that's loose and moves around, it swings over the spot where the key would go in. The spot where the key enters into the lock mechanism looks like it should/could maybe be a "round ended" key.... but I'm just guessing at that.

Thanks! I thought I had one of these gas caps, but can't seem to find it or even an old picture. I thought it said "Hama" on the top of it. It had a small little "door" that would swing and reveal the key slot. This is a picture of the key as far as I remember.

View attachment 91113

Yes, my cap has the door that covers the slot. I'll get a pic and post it before I go plow snow. The key picture that you posted is probably the correct shape as the end has a pretty good point on it. That key would seem to go into the slot pretty well. I'll take a better look at the tool box key also.

Kbasa, if you do get a chance to take a couple of pics for me, please also include a pic of your key.

Thanks again to everyone here for the patience and help.

I know this is kind of dragging out over a stupid gas cap but with the condition that the lock is in, I just want to give it my best effort the first time that I go for it because I probably won't get a second chance without having to drill it and ruin it for good.

Hey, Kbasa, thank for the info! So, I'm wondering if I could lean on you to take a picture of the opened tank and the bottom of the lock?
It would be good to see what the underside of the lock looks like and give me a better idea of what I'm up against.

Mine is in a box of parts. I'll take a pic this weekend and try to snap a shot of the key, provided I can find it. :D

Here is what my gas cap looks like.

Attachments

• 20230310_124636_resized.jpg
    20230310_124636_resized.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230310_124608_resized.jpg
    20230310_124608_resized.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 56
Back