• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final Drive ratio

r1200rst

Has anyone ever come across a /2 final drive without a ratio stamp? It is not in my possession so I can't count it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_7225.jpg
    IMG_7225.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 67
In my limited experience, I've only seen stamped final drives. Are you should that it belongs to a BMW /2? There's not much to go on in the picture.

Yes they are for a /2. Not the greatest pics but they show it's real.

Attachments

• IMG_7224.jpg
    IMG_7224.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 57
The 28 teeth on the splined flange is correct for a /2 (R50; R50/2; R60; R60/2; R69; R69S.). 4 options from what I can tell on the crown gear sets, if no stamping you'd have to count the teeth, 27:7, 27:8, 25:8, and the sidecar rig had 26:6.

To determine the ratio, I think it takes more than counting the teeth. Pick one of the teeth and turn the final drive exactly one revolution while monitoring how many turns the u-joint at the front of the drive shaft turns. Those number of turns of the front joint will let you figure out what the ratio is. It will be something like three full turns so 3.0/1 or 33/11. If it's slightly more than three full turns, it could be 3.125 or 25/8.

I've asked the seller to try to count the ratio by rotating the input. But the difference between 3.125 (25/8) and 3.375 (27/8) might be hard to distinguish.

Possibly. If it's not quite 1/4 past 3 turns, then 3.125. If slighly more than 1/4, 3.375. Do it several times to get a consistent result.

Further info I've read indicates this is likely a pre-war final drive or possibly for one of the early R51 plunger bikes and may have been a replacement.

Back