• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Key out of range - No, it's not!

40dcoe

2016 R 1200 R, remote key.

Starting bike up for ride Monday, I got an alert: Key symbol with question mark.

Manual says it's 'key out of range.'

But the gas cap opened. The bike started, and ran two hours.

I replaced the battery in the keyfob today. My Fluke said the old battery had 2.9V. New battery is near 3.3V. So it needed changing.

Started bike up. I still get 'key out of range' alert. The manual doesn't say anything about a reset. Reads like changing the battery is all it takes.

Any ideas ???

Some of these systems require a number of “no fault detected” cycles before a self clear. Maybe just wait a bit?

BTW, unless I break out the Simpson 260 VOM, I don’t get a “good” reading when I try to test coin batteries, iffin that is what in your Fob.

OM

Good idea, Man. I'll let the problem age a week or two before I head to dealer.

Battery is 2032; "coin" is good descriptor.

+ lead on top; - lead on bottom.

That's a strange one. Like you say, the key with a question mark is "key out of range"
A key with a battery symbol is a low fob battery.
Did you still get the Key Out of Range when you were away from your garage?

“Coin” is a common term. I try to be real careful when I change them….. Just changed one in the “on stem” tire pressure monitors on my motorhome. I like to see how they “sat” before removing them as I find the usual installation instructions fuzzy.

OM

“Coin” is a common term. I try to be real careful when I change them….. Just changed one in the “on stem” tire pressure monitors on my motorhome. I like to see how they “sat” before removing them as I find the usual installation instructions fuzzy.

OM

If the battery is upside down he should get a bad fob battery symbol instead of the Out of Range Symbol and I don't think the bike will start with a improperly placed fob battery.

Something is out of wack for sure since the bike should not start with the fob out of range.

2016 R 1200 R, remote key.

Starting bike up for ride Monday, I got an alert: Key symbol with question mark.

By any chance did you step back from the bike a couple feet after starting it?
With the bike running you'll get a out of range symbol if you step back from the bike.

By any chance did you step back from the bike a couple feet after starting it?
With the bike running you'll get a out of range symbol if you step back from the bike.

:thumb

If my key gets too far from the dash area, I get the out of range symbol too.

E.

10-4, Lee. Key? symbol and delta! remained on for my entire 2 hour ride.

. . . and they come on now (just checked again).

Negative on stepping away. Symbols there when I first powered it up.

Fingerprints

2.9V for a coin battery is DEAD. So, that would be why you got the original warming.

So, now something is wrong with the "new" battery or the installation in the FOB.

Did you touch the surfaces of the "new" battery when installing it? They typically warn you NOT to touch it with your fingers as the oil on your fingertips can result in a bad connection - the oil is an insulator. The current from the battery to the FOB circuit is so tiny that the oil DOES make a difference.

Is the spring tab connection to the one side of the battery making good contact?

I'd open up the fob again, check with a voltmeter that the "new" battery really is good, and then clean its surfaces and check the contacts to the battery for a good connection.

When I had to replace mine, the symbol was gone when I restarted with the new battery installed - it doesn't take multiple cycles.

I'm also assuming that you haven't changed something else (added something to the key ring of your FOB, or started carrying something new made of metal in the pocket you keep the FOB in...

If none of this works, I'd disconnect the bike's battery for a few hours to reset its electronics and then try again.

2.9V for a coin battery is DEAD. So, that would be why you got the original warming.

So, now something is wrong with the "new" battery or the installation in the FOB.

Did you touch the surfaces of the "new" battery when installing it? They typically warn you NOT to touch it with your fingers as the oil on your fingertips can result in a bad connection - the oil is an insulator. The current from the battery to the FOB circuit is so tiny that the oil DOES make a difference.

Is the spring tab connection to the one side of the battery making good contact?

I'd open up the fob again, check with a voltmeter that the "new" battery really is good, and then clean its surfaces and check the contacts to the battery for a good connection.

When I had to replace mine, the symbol was gone when I restarted with the new battery installed - it doesn't take multiple cycles.

I'm also assuming that you haven't changed something else (added something to the key ring of your FOB, or started carrying something new made of metal in the pocket you keep the FOB in...

I haven't seen fingerprints bother a coin battery although I do try to handle them as little as possible. Interesting that you bring this up as I seems children look at them as something to put in their mouth. Duracell has started to- put a bitter tasting coating on their coin batteries. I wonder if they have a cleaning recommendation for normal usage?

If none of this works, I'd disconnect the bike's battery for a few hours to reset its electronics and then try again.

If it doesn't clear on its own, I think this is the next thing to try.

OM

It's not the fob battery; the fob works.

I'm thinking the alarm is out of sequence. It should be a run-time error only.

Today, I'm going to crank it up, then walk away. That should produce a genuine 'key out of range' error. Then I'll walk back to it. That would fix a normal out of range condition.

If that fails, cranking battery disconnect is next.

I don't think it will help but start the bike with the plastic emergency key to see if it acts the same. Can't hurt :)
Poke the fat part of the emergency key in the seat gap.

Correct Placement Plastic Key (1).jpg

Today's testing:

Turned bike on. Had same 'key?' alert.

Walked about 30 yards away with key, came back, error message still there.

Powered down, then back up. Started bike. Walked about 50 yards away with key, then back. Message still there.

Decided to disconnect battery. But first, just for jollies, I hit the power button, even though I didn't have the key with me. It powered up! Powered it down, moved key to back of house, maybe 75' away. Still powered up. Gas cap opened.

Powered it down. Disconnected cranking battery for a minute. Reconnected, no change.

Current state: I disconnected battery again. I'm going to leave it disconnected til tomorrow.

I gotta ask what brand of cr2032 battery are you using. I tried some no name battery’s from Amazon and got some wonky results, switched back to Panasonic and issues went away

Energizer Lithium.

Update:

Progress. Maybe.

Reconnected cranking battery this AM. Same symptoms as before; no change.

Had been looking over owners manual some more. Ref plastic key (good call, GTRider).

I inserted plastic key and switched to on position. Then a few minutes of random actions - I can't remember all of it - resulted in Key? going OUT! Important action was probably when hit ignition on and red key search light came on. I moved remote away from bike and repeated. Brought key back to bike and repeated, and it appeared to find it!

Success . . . well, partially. I am now getting 'service' light instead of Key?. But service symbol disappears after cranking, and instrument display looks all normal again. I'll get to the dealer sometime to have them check for a code.

Service light came on when I reconnected battery, so I assume it has something to do with power outage, not key issue. I'm calling key issue closed.

Thanks for all responses!

Service light came on when I reconnected battery, so I assume it has something to do with power outage, not key issue. I'm calling key issue closed.

When you had the battery out the bike lost the date, causing the service light. If you have a BMW Nav mounted, it reset the date for you.

When the problem started did you have the fob and emergency next to each other? The manual says this will interfere with the signal.
I've had both my fob and wife's fob next to each without problems but I don't think I've had my fob and emergency key next to each other to see if it caused a problem.

Last edited:
Energizer Lithium.
Update:
Progress. Maybe...
I'll get to the dealer sometime to have them check for a code...
Service light came on when I reconnected battery, so I assume it has something to do with power outage, not key issue. I'm calling key issue closed...

Sounds like a good excuse to go for a ride (to the dealer).
Let us know what the dealer says.

Good luck.

E.

When the problem started did you have the fob and emergency next to each other? The manual says this will interfere with the signal.

Long look for plastikey in kitchen key drawer. Found expired passport, medicare card, and $50 Shell gas gift card, but no key.

Removed seat on bike to get bag with owners manual. Sure enough, key was in same bag. So, yes, plastikey was under seat while remote key was in my jacket pocket, probably less than a foot apart.

That may well have been the source of trouble.

Back