• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650 shuts down after 1 minute

samnash

I have a 2005 F650 that has not run for 2-3 years.(only 12,000miles) Put a battery in, checked the fluids and planned on a short ride followed by an oil change.

After starting, the bike will run for about 1 minute then spools down. After waiting about 5 minutes, it will do it again. I drained the fuel, put a new filter on the pump pickup foot, and put in a new in line fuel filter (what a pain).

No change, runs a minute, then off.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam Nash

Try it with the fuel tank filler cap open. It might be a clogged vent. I think that might be a long shot but worth a try.

It would seem that the bike is getting the initial push of fuel when the key is turned on. It could possibly be it is only getting enough fuel to run for the minute.
If this is at an idle, once it starts, run it up to 4,000 rpm and see if that cuts the one minute run time.
You can spray Gumout aerosol into the intake and see if that keeps it running. This will help eliminate/sort an electrical problem.
Let us know how you make out.

OM

I recently had to replace the fuel filter / pressure regulator combo on my 2005 F650GS (pull the seat and you'll see it forward, on the port side).

BMW wants around $200 for it, although I've read of somewhat similar alternatives.

It's a possible item to check.

I recently had to replace the fuel filter / pressure regulator combo on my 2005 F650GS (pull the seat and you'll see it forward, on the port side).

BMW wants around $200 for it, although I've read of somewhat similar alternatives.

Ouch!
A combo filter/regulator for a C5 Corvette is about 20 bucks!
Any chance one of those might work?

It would seem that the bike is getting the initial push of fuel when the key is turned on. It could possibly be it is only getting enough fuel to run for the minute.
If this is at an idle, once it starts, run it up to 4,000 rpm and see if that cuts the one minute run time.
You can spray Gumout aerosol into the intake and see if that keeps it running. This will help eliminate/sort an electrical problem.
Let us know how you make out.

OM

Once past these ideas, this Best of Forum may help- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?55047-Everything-you-wanted-to-know It is a great thread about fuel pump controllers, some work arounds and some bypasses.

OM

I would buy one of the el cheapo fuel pumps on e-bay and swap out the old one.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I have a 2005 F650 that has not run for 2-3 years.(only 12,000miles) Put a battery in, checked the fluids and planned on a short ride followed by an oil change.

After starting, the bike will run for about 1 minute then spools down. After waiting about 5 minutes, it will do it again. I drained the fuel, put a new filter on the pump pickup foot, and put in a new in line fuel filter (what a pain).

No change, runs a minute, then off.

Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam Nash

Sam, I would get a fuel pressure gage and tee into the line before and after the pressure regulator to see what the pressure looks like. Should be at 45-50 psi during power up and running. I have a spare regulator assembly if you need one to test with.

Back