• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helite Adventure air bag jacket question

stevenrankin

So I placed an order for one of Helites airbag adventure jackets, LOL, they fit me. My first time with an air bag system and I needed a jacket to replace my Aerostich. I figure I would kill two birds with one stone buying this jacket.

Anybody have any long term use of one of these jackets? Aerostich is a pretty hard act to follow for protective jackets but I was not sure if I could fit an air bag vest under the largest Aerostich. I like the Helite airbags and they have good reviews, not sure about the combo jacket.

My second choice was Klim's systems but again, fitment was an issue. Nobody nearby has any stock my size to try on for fit and I am Leary of the size charts on the websites to order online. Helite was kind enough to confirm the jacket I have order will fit, so that is a plus.

St.

Tuesday

My Helite Adventure jacket is due to show up this Tuesday. I was hoping someone would have had some kind of experience with one so I had an idea as to if it is a good jacket/airbag combo.

I will let you know how it works out. St.

I've had mine (XL) for 6 years now and love it. It gets hot above 85'ish but also keeps me warm with a long sleeve shirt down to 40F. Zippers on the sleeve along with the chest vents help also. I had one accidental & deliberate inflate. Get yourself several spare C02 cartridges. Gives you a chance to see how they get replaced.

I’ve had my helite jacket for a year now, zipper failed first week(really substandard) returned to to Helite in Reno. Thirty days later shipped back to me with a real zipper, very heavy duty. Since that time have been very happy with jacket
2 caveats one don’t forget to connect lanyard, 2 and don’t forget to disconnect

2 caveats one don’t forget to connect lanyard, 2 and don’t forget to disconnect

If they make a jacket with the electronic system (no tether), don't forget to turn on before you ride away, and turn off when you are done riding. I have the E-Turtle Helite vest, since I wanted a product that worked with my several jackets.

I am tethered to the front seat attachment point and the tether is naturally tucked in front of you. If I forget to unhook, there is plenty of elasticity to remind me before a leg over off.

Got it

Well, I got my Helite Adventure Jacket and I will say the airbag system is fine. I am not impressed with the jacket part. I am looking already to replace it but will wear it for now. St.

In the air

Hey Paul, hindsight being what it is, I should have just gone with the vest and bought a better designed Jacket to wear the vest over.

As for now I am on the fence again regarding airbags versus none. I have had three accidents in my riding years. Only one would have had less injury if I had been wearing an airbag.

For less complexity I am thinking of going back to a well armored jacket. I am finding the airbag to be hot in the summer so, I am not wearing it. Kind of negates the reason for buying it.

When I originally started this post I was hoping to hear from others who had purchased the Adventure Jacket. I have seen no reviews of it, only the vests. I would have liked to have made a better decision based on review of others. As it is, I gambled I would like the jacket, it would replace my Aerostich and sadly, it has not.

The best world I could conceive is an airbag in an Aerostich Road crafter with perhaps more venting. St.

So Far

I have owned my Helite Adventure jacket for a few months now and I have to say I am sorry I bought it.

Ergonomically a disaster, French zipper on wrong side, other zippers too small, poor pockets, poor venting, not water proofed, poor fitting of other armor. Could have been a great product with a bit more thought and design but isn't. St.

I have owned my Helite Adventure jacket for a few months now and I have to say I am sorry I bought it.

Ergonomically a disaster, French zipper on wrong side, other zippers too small, poor pockets, poor venting, not water proofed, poor fitting of other armor. Could have been a great product with a bit more thought and design but isn't. St.

That would be a European zipper. https://www.williamjacket.com/blog/which-side-should-be-the-zipper-on-a-mans-jacket/

Having a bad there buddy? How about a nice ride that, with a taste of fall, should be enjoyable.

OM

Right

LOL, every riding jacket I have ever owned until this one has had the zipper on the right, right side.

Helite has a good idea with the jacket vest combo but seriously needs to do a better job with the jacket aspect. I got spoiled with my Aerostich. I do have to say the Aerostich back pad and armor did their jobs, maybe not as good as an airbag but better than nothing. St.

Back