• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Getting Older

pglaves

Here are three photos - the first - where we just rode 195 miles round trip for the annual (stupid) vehicle inspection of Big Red (Voni's R1100RS) with about 416,000 miles and my lightweight K75 with a mere 130K or so.

I turned 78 in February, just in time to celebrate my new little two-wheeler, shown in the second photo.

I started smoking around 1960 or '61 and finally quit in 2000, after smoking two to three packs a day. When I couldn't quit coughing I was promptly diagnosed with COPD. Initially they said chronic bronchitis but now they say Emphysema. Several years ago, after camping in forest fire smoke for a few days, and a couple of trips to the emergency room, we parked the bikes in storage in Libby Montana, bought a car and retreated home to Texas. After a month or so we went back with a trailer and got the bikes. My lungs were better then for a while. But ....

Now since the wheels on my new little two-wheeler didn't look like they would take the speed or distance I would need for a trailer I got a Portable Oxygen Concentrator that would sit on my bike seat, plug into the bike, and keep my Pulmonologist happy and me alive. That is the third photo.

So I can now still ride for hours as needed and get the oxygen my doctor insists I need.

Just Riding.

Attachments

• Inspection.jpg
    Inspection.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 302
  • Solution.jpg
    Solution.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Hope that set up serves you well. Getting older ain't for the faint at heart. Keep pushing back against it like you are!

Boy, that's a long way to go for an inspection!
Good on you for still riding.
The Wife has copd and several other ailments.
She can't ride any more.

I remember reading about your trip to the hospital that year, Paul.
We were out there then too, riding loops from our base camp. The sky was often surreal with a reddish brown haze that blocked the sunlight and there were fire crew camps in several places. We never actually saw flames but the smoke was uncomfortably thick at times.

Now that we are older many have needed to make adjustments to our riding ways. Trailering to a destination, riding smaller bikes, shorter days in the saddle, portable cpap machines and even O2 concentrators are all part of what many have needed to do to adjust to the realities of age.

But even a short ride on a small bike trailered to the right destination is still worth it all.

Paul, I hope you and Voni can keep riding for many more miles and smiles! The portable O2 concentrator is a good move—my in-laws tried using portable tanks but found it too difficult to manage the inventory and status, even tho they lived in town and close to two hospitals and supply providers.
Keep rollin’!

Best,
DeVern

Paul, attitude counts for a great deal in overcoming the challenges of advancing age while still living a life worth living. You seem to have a mindset that will help you overcome and continue riding. Carry on!!! You offer hope to us whipper-snappers.

Rock On, P&V! Play the hand you’ve been dealt as best U can... :thumb

Hope y’all gots many more Miles & Smiles together along your Highway of Life...

No Oxygen packed this week pour moi, but I just got a steroid shot into my right eye today... :brow

Hope to SEE Y’all in Doswell in June!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

But even a short ride on a small bike trailered to the right destination is still worth it all.

Indeed!! Last year we spent a couple of weeks in the Wyoming Big Horn Mountains after years of just quickly passing through on the way to somewhere else.

Last edited:
Good for you. My dad is 92 and still dancing. I’m 67 and have had to adjust to a more upright ride, an 1100rt.

Indeed!! Last year we spent a couple of weeks in the Wyoming Big Horn Mountains after years of just quickly passing through on the way to some way else.

In the Big Horns during Covid. Now the bike is in the back of the (new) van, no trailer!

Putty_BigHorn-X3.jpg

Indeed!! Last year we spent a couple of weeks in the Wyoming Big Horn Mountains after years of just quickly passing through on the way to somewhere else.

Will be running through there mid August on our way back from Jackson Hole, through Cody to the Big Horn Mtns.. Like you, we've passed by on our way somewhere else, but this year we want to explore that area a little more.

As for getting old, just 5 years ago I could do 800 a day for days on end when necessary, preferred 4-600. Today, 400 is a long day for me and prefer 300-350 per day when traversing the US.

71 closing in on 72, fortunately the health has remained mostly good, yet I figure another 5 years and I may have to go to a trike.

Will be running through there mid August on our way back from Jackson Hole, through Cody to the Big Horn Mtns.. Like you, we've passed by on our way somewhere else, but this year we want to explore that area a little more.

As for getting old, just 5 years ago I could do 800 a day for days on end when necessary, preferred 4-600. Today, 400 is a long day for me and prefer 300-350 per day when traversing the US.

71 closing in on 72, fortunately the health has remained mostly good, yet I figure another 5 years and I may have to go to a trike.
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/asset.php?fid=83544&uid=68508&d=1677881132

Attachments

• gettyimages-664722765-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-664722765-612x612.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 190
I got a Portable Oxygen Concentrator that would sit on my bike seat, plug into the bike, and keep my Pulmonologist happy and me alive.

So I can now still ride for hours as needed and get the oxygen my doctor insists I need.

Just Riding.

Genius! :thumb

But then again would we expect anything less from Paul who in the past has devised means carrying additional water and fuel supplies on his bikes?

May You and Voni have many more (s)miles on your bikes! :clap

Getting older

Paul in 400,000+ you haven’t figured out how to stop that little oil leak around Big Red’s oil filler :nono
On my 1994 R1100RS I haven’t figured out how it knows when I am wearing new riding pants but it does and like a tomcat it marks them :)

Paul in 400,000+ you haven’t figured out how to stop that little oil leak around Big Red’s oil filler :nono
On my 1994 R1100RS I haven’t figured out how it knows when I am wearing new riding pants but it does and like a tomcat it marks them :)

I have replaced both O rings several times. But you are right. It looks like it is due to be done again. I keep them on hand. :)

Never give up

Glad you have found ways to keep doing the things you like. Thanks for all your contributions to the Forum; your answers to technical questions have helped me out many times. Happy Riding to you and Voni.

Back