• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Option 719 Seat comfortable?

jluff

Picking up a new 1250RT and the sexy Option 719 seat has caught my 👁️. Anyone with experience know how comfortable they are compare to the stock seat? I know they only come in one height and the video says they are leather. TIA for any feedback.

I never had a stock seat, but I had the Option 719 seat on my bike for a couple years. The longest I rode with it was 800km with stops every couple of hours. It was no big deal, the last couple of hours my ass was getting a bit sore though. I switched to a Sargeant seat, which is slightly more comfortable, but it wasn't a big difference.

The 719 seat is more comfortable than any other OEM seat I've ever had on my previous bikes.

I never had a stock seat, but I had the Option 719 seat on my bike for a couple years. The longest I rode with it was 800km with stops every couple of hours. It was no big deal, the last couple of hours my ass was getting a bit sore though. I switched to a Sargeant seat, which is slightly more comfortable, but it wasn't a big difference.

The 719 seat is more comfortable than any other OEM seat I've ever had on my previous bikes.

Thank you for your reply

Picking up a new 1250RT and the sexy Option 719 seat has caught my 👁️. Anyone with experience know how comfortable they are compare to the stock seat? I know they only come in one height and the video says they are leather. TIA for any feedback.

Have you seen the cost?

I didn't know the Option 719 seat was different then stock except for the cover and pattern,

Attachments

• Option 719 seat.PNG
    Option 719 seat.PNG
    257.9 KB · Views: 152
My 2015 was slightly used when I bought it. It is loaded and had the 719 option.

Before buying the bike - again, it was used - I took it for a 500 mile test ride. Before heading out, I asked the dealer how late I could return and was told that he'd be there until @ 8 PM. That test ride was a combination of Interstate, local back roads, high elevations, straight roads at elevations and significant curves in the mountains of NM.

When I returned to the dealership, the first words out of my mouth were - can you swap the saddle out for a stock saddle. FOR ME the 719 saddle was literally a pain in the ass.

The stock saddle was only a temporary fix and I immediately ordered a low, Sargent saddle. Over 30K miles later, that problem is solved satisfactorily for me.

I've have a number of aftermarket saddles on my BMW's over many years. IMO, the best you can do is with a Russell Day-Long. Number two on my list is the current Sargent. The biggest downside to Russell is the time it take to get the seat built.

All just my experience/opinion. Ride safe and be comfortable.

If you are looking a comfortable seat, I would pass and get an aftermarket seat.

E.

If you are looking a comfortable seat, I would pass and get an aftermarket seat.

E.

:thumb

The 719 options are pretty, but I'm not a fan of logos and labels, so I would rule out all the 719 options just because I think they would all look better without the 719 imprint.

None of the 719 options claim any functional improvement. "adds design highlights... add a clear sense of exclusivity... emphasizes the quality appeal..."
The billet valve covers are aluminum instead of magnesium, so they are likely a bit heavier than stock.

I don't see anything in the 719 seat description about increased comfort, it's all about appearance. My experience with BMW stock seats is that they can be painful in as little as 300 miles. I can't see the seat while I'm riding, so I would put the money toward a Russell Day Long.

Option 719 Seat Better For Me

I’m on a 2021 R1250RT, Racing Blue Metallic, the fastest one. 😇 I liked the looks of the Option 719 saddlery, so ordered it.

I find the 719 to be more comfortable than the stock seating. It is my understanding that the Option 719 has an extra layer of memory foam in its construction. I really like it, and am glad to have it.

On my last long distance (Iron Butt) bike (Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS) I had a custom Baldwin saddle which was awesome. The 719 is obviously not custom-fitted, but it is extremely comfortable, easy to live with, and I think great looking. XYL agrees.

Yes it is pricey — but so was my bike! 🤩

I've have a number of aftermarket saddles on my BMW's over many years. IMO, the best you can do is with a Russell Day-Long. Number two on my list is the current Sargent. The biggest downside to Russell is the time it take to get the seat built.

All just my experience/opinion. Ride safe and be comfortable.

Yep. After thinking about it and researching it for years because I didn't want make an expensive mistake, I arranged for my RDL build date to be in February. That way not being able to ride for a month and half didn't hurt so much. Luckily BMW hasn't changed the seat pan so I was able to move it over from my 2014 to my 2023.

On my 2010 R1200R I bought an Italian made BMW "comfort seat." It was a little better but not even close to being worth the $800 it cost.

20230108_154542.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 719 seat on my '22 RT. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Sargent or Russel seats to compare it to but I find the seat to be decently comfortable. The longest I've sat on it was five hours straight and indeed my posterior was complaining by the end but I find it hard to believe that there is a motorcycle seat in existence where it wouldn't be. I can't even go that long in my lazyboy massaging car seats without complaint so as a previous poster mentioned, I feel the difference between a 719 and Sargent would be negligible. One noticeable difference would be how much slimmer my wallet would be to sit on if I bought another aftermarket seat! Maybe therein lies the difference in comfort!

As a side note, I think the saddle brown makes for a striking contrast with my triple black.

The longest I've sat on it was five hours straight and indeed my posterior was complaining by the end but I find it hard to believe that there is a motorcycle seat in existence where it wouldn't be.

I've done 8-10 hour rides on my Russell Day Long with short breaks every hour to hour and a half with no discomfort at all.

The stock seat can make my sit bones scream "Get off of me!!!" after as little as 250 miles. It's just painful. I think they draped a half inch of foam over a 2x4 on edge and called it good. After a 700 mile return from NC I couldn't walk right for two days.

I found a used set of RDL seats in the Marketplace before the Salt Lake rally and had total comfort on the trip out. Coming home, I left Gunnison, CO around 10 am, enjoyed the ride so much I just kept rolling, ~1500 miles in 28 hrs. Stops for gas near empty, 10 minute snack breaks at half tank, a two hour nap around 3am. Never once thought about the seat or the condition of my butt until the next day when I washed the bike and realized I felt great.

The stock seat is fine for commuting and local errands and feels OK on a test ride. The slightly lower height and lack of wings do make it easier to get my feet down at stop lights. If I'll be on the bike more than a half hour, the RDL is on the bike.

The stock seat is fine for commuting and local errands and feels OK on a test ride. The slightly lower height and lack of wings do make it easier to get my feet down at stop lights. If I'll be on the bike more than a half hour, the RDL is on the bike.

The RDL height is an issue for me. I'm "inseam challenged" and old so even with it at the lowest setting I have to wear lug soled boots to get enough traction to back out of my garage or a parking spot. Sidi On Road and Canyon work for cooler weather but I had a hard time finding hot weather boots with a lug sole and finally ordered a custom pair from Gasolina.

shortcut boots in black perforated leather with lugged sole.jpg

Back