• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Repeat Sites

I'm not on the rally site committee ( I appreciate those who are) but I wouldn't mind a few repeats or having a few sites and make it a rolling 6 sites for a while thinking the same 3 zones but then split the zones by north and south and find a rally site in each that meets our needs and just move through them.

We have repeated Redmond, OR… which is a phenomenal site. My 2001 photos are on an old hard drive…. Here is 2010.

i-Nv4cvjQ-X2.jpg

i-8mRNRTL-X3.jpg

i-LVZtGDt-X2.jpg

i-LZH7c7V-X3.jpg

i-BVhmQvg-X3.jpg

i-dmCwFRf-X3.jpg

I like that idea.

So do I.
It seems that the most successful rallies are in certain locations that are worth repeating, specially as the riding to, from and in are great. If I only have 2 weeks vacay, I certainly won't go to a dud of a place in BFE nowhere....

I have no doubt that the selection committee does their best to accommodate a site that would be best suited to the "whole" of the BMW group. While the concept of repeating sites sounds good, it is still possible to be a "dud" upon a repeat possibly 3 or 4 years down the road when the revisit would actually occur.
Changes in ownership or management along with changes in the local establishment(s) or municipal entities can turn what once was great into a whole new deal. Many trade shows/expositions that were really well done in the New England area have succumbed to site "management" decisions. Who wants to pay $100.00 and wait for an electrician to plug in your extension cord?
I don't envy the work of any site selection group, especially for a group this size with a continuation of long provided services. Of course there is a way around this, it would be doubling the attendance cost and "hiring" a for profit venue.......but we all realize the problem with that. :deal

OM

I have no doubt that the selection committee does their best to accommodate a site that would be best suited to the "whole" of the BMW group. While the concept of repeating sites sounds good, it is still possible to be a "dud" upon a repeat possibly 3 or 4 years down the road when the revisit would actually occur.

OM

The locations do not have to be set in stone forever. There will be times they'll have to make changes.
Even when they pick a site that looks perfect there can be several problems that pop up that could not be predicted until the rally takes place.

Having attended over a dozen National Rallies I honestly don't recall having been to a BAD one. Yes ... some better than others and some nicer facilities. But I try to keep in mind it is a motorcycle rally and hosted and run by volunteers. I loved West Bend and Great Falls but I attended Lima and Bloomsburg which were not my favorites. But nonetheless all were good. It's like a buddy used to say .."it's like pizza, even bad pizza is pretty good" Or was that sex? Hmmm! :laugh

I'm not on the rally site committee ( I appreciate those who are) but I wouldn't mind a few repeats or having a few sites and make it a rolling 6 sites for a while thinking the same 3 zones but then split the zones by north and south and find a rally site in each that meets our needs and just move through them.

I have made this same pitch multiple times over the years.

My pitch was a super site in each zone with a rotation. Rally Rats would remember how good it was xx years ago and help spread the word. Always look for change but it would have to be better than the super site.

The no-repeat thing is a legacy policy that needs to be pitched. I confess that after visiting the Meadows Event Center on my way to MMM and spending a night there I wonder where the process went so horribly wrong.

The best MOA rally held in terms of attendance and enthusiasm was in Essex Junction Vermont in 2006, now 17 years ago. It was arguably one of the best if not the best sites ever.

My pitch was a super site in each zone with a rotation. Rally Rats would remember how good it was xx years ago and help spread the word. Always look for change but it would have to be better than the super site.

The no-repeat thing is a legacy policy that needs to be pitched. I confess that after visiting the Meadows Event Center on my way to MMM and spending a night there I wonder where the process went so horribly wrong.

The best MOA rally held in terms of attendance and enthusiasm was in Essex Junction Vermont in 2006, now 17 years ago. It was arguably one of the best if not the best sites ever.

In another thread, it seems that there are already complaints about this year’s rally being too close to areas already ridden.
I don’t think any selection committee picks a site that will be other than “good for most”.
OM

In another thread, it seems that there are already complaints about this year’s rally being too close to areas already ridden.
I don’t think any selection committee picks a site that will be other than “good for most”.
OM

Like they say ... "you can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please ALL the people ALL of the time". Having attended over a dozen National Rallies some were in my opinion better than others but none were horrible. Good vs bad locations seems personal based on what is important to that individual.

Amen! Been saying the same as well, but ignored just as enthusiastically..:rolleyes

And THAT was one of the hottest Rallies .... 90's in Vermont!

Back