• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank grips 2022 G310R

Has anyone installed rubber tank grips on their G310r? How do they look? Are they helpful?

I prefer tank grips on all my motorcycles. That currently includes a '22 G310GS, '21 S1000XR, and '17 S1000RR (which is set up like an RS with the handlebars raised 4" and a Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen).

For me, it's not about looks, it's about (1) having a non-slip surface between both knees so I can keep my arms relaxed and unweighted as the bike moves under me in the twisties and (2) it's about having a non-slip surface under my outside knee when I'm leaning (i.e., when my inside knee is out and down). Leaning in is mostly a track thing on my RR and it's high footpegs. However, because my XR is a low suspension XR, I find it necessary to lean in on the XR to avoid dragging my footpegs in the twisties.

I have TechSpec grips on both my XR and RR. Unfortunately, TechSpec did not have G310GS tank grips available when I was kitting out my GS, so I purchased Wunderlich's G310GS tank grips. I should have waited for TechSpec's GS tanks grips. The Wunderlich tank grips are quality products, but they are too smooth to be a non-slip surface. TechSpec now has G310GS tank grips; I've bought a pair; and I will install them the next time the temp is above 80F (per their recommendation).

TechSpec does have G310R specific tank grips at...

https://techspec-usa.com/products/g...rips-free-center-tank-protector-included.html

Alternatively, if you prefer clear grips that are non-slip, I've had Stompgrips and they also provide a good non-slip surface and they also have G310R tank grips at...

https://stompgrip.com/products/bmw-g-310-r-16-19-tank-grips-0154?variant=43008697139440

That said, looks-wise, I prefer TechSpec over Stompgrips, but that's very much a personal taste thing.

P.S. For completeness, I should have also said that I find tank grips extremely useful off-road when I'm standing and want to hold the tank without my knees slipping. I omitted this because you have a 310R. I'm adding it in case someone with a 310GS reads this thread.

Back