• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No longer able to ride K1300GT

My beloved black K1300GT is going to be pushed off to the side and put in storage. So sad. I wanted a BMW for 30 years and finally bought one. Got barely 3 years of riding out of it. Turned 70 last year and between a hip problem and bad neck vertabrae i can no longer handle even a hundred mile ride without hurting badly. I'm trying to figure out options like maybe lowered pegs and handlebar risers. It had some risers on it when i purchased it so those may go back on. I don't have any major problems with my other bikes(3 Harleys) because i can stretch my legs and arms out. Took a 2400 mile round trip last year on the Road Glide. So i guess i'm asking a question for which i probably already know the answer. Like John Prine said, "A question ain't really a question if you know the answer too". Is there any way to make this bike comfortable for someone with those body problems?

My beloved black K1300GT is going to be pushed off to the side and put in storage. So sad. I wanted a BMW for 30 years and finally bought one. Got barely 3 years of riding out of it. Turned 70 last year and between a hip problem and bad neck vertabrae i can no longer handle even a hundred mile ride without hurting badly. I'm trying to figure out options like maybe lowered pegs and handlebar risers. It had some risers on it when i purchased it so those may go back on. I don't have any major problems with my other bikes(3 Harleys) because i can stretch my legs and arms out. Took a 2400 mile round trip last year on the Road Glide. So i guess i'm asking a question for which i probably already know the answer. Like John Prine said, "A question ain't really a question if you know the answer too". Is there any way to make this bike comfortable for someone with those body problems?

I have lowered footpegs on my GT and the bars set at the highest position in the stock mounts. The lowered pegs helped a lot with my legs and the bar height is fine for me, but I have long arms. I also have an aftermarket saddle that is just a little bit taller than OEM—that also helped with the legs. Lastly, the OEM seat puts the wrong pressure on your bottom and that can be a factor in leg pain as well.

Lowered pegs and bar risers/bar backs will put you more upright and may have you wanting a taller screen, but that combo could be more comfortable for you. Having said all that, I find as a tall person I’m much more comfortable on my R1200GS (with lowered pegs) than on the GT.

Best,
DeVern

It came with a taller C Bailey windshield which i still have as well as the risers. I'm 6 1" so i can set the seat on the higher position and still plant my feet on the ground but i really don't think it's going to be enough to make everything work. Going to do a little changing the next warm day outside(next week). I may try a set of lowering footpegs and see if it makes it comfortable enough to ride. In the long term though, it looks like that neck surgery i've been postponing for the last few years is going to have to be done. Whatever the outcome if i keep the bike, it won't be a long distance rider any longer.

Back