• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED update

Knowing what I know about my own R850R but not having done an LED update yet:

The headlight, most of the dashboard lights (with one exception), and the brake/tail light are all simple switched circuits so there should be zero issue.

The exception is the turn signals and turn signal indicator light on the dashboard. I believe our bikes came with an analog flasher relay. LED's don't put enough load on the circuit to trigger the relay's correct flashing pattern. To upgrade turn signals to LED, you'll have to change that relay to something that's digitally controlled.

One warning as well: unless it's been retrofitted in, the headlight/tail light circuit that turns on with the bike's ignition has no fuse. Unscrupulous sellers of LED lights (Amazon/Ebay mostly) sometimes either fail to list the wattage draw of their lights or outright lie about the numbers.
On another bike, a vintage Honda, a generic 7" LED headlight my dad bought on Amazon blew out a 10 and then a 20 amp fuse and only stayed lit with a 30. I immediately said "no way are we keeping this thing on the bike. It has to be drawing over 240 watts at its peak!" Perhaps that bulb only had a huge current spike when it was first turned on, but I'd much rather be safe than potentially catch a wiring harness on fire.

To ensure safety you can either measure the amperage draw of a suspicions light with a current clamp, or buy your LED headlight from a reputable source.

Back