• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inner Timing Cover Gasket With Or Without Gasket Sealant?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I hope this doesn't become a thread with a lot of opinions, but should I install the gasket for the inner timing cover dry or with gasket sealant?

What does that Boxer2Valve know!! ;) Tough call, opposite info from solid sources.

I tracked down an Airheads airmail post where Tom Cutter says no sealant.

But there are a couple of tiny circular gaskets used on the top two holes.

Just my nickel's worth - a few years back I did the same job with the engine in the frame. I used some gray sealant, not as a sealant, but just a little as an adhesive to keep the gasket (including those two circular pieces) in place while installing the timing cover. Made getting all the fasteners in place easier without messing up the gasket.

What's the final decision? The usual crowd at Boxerworks seems to like using some kind of sealant/paste.

FWIW, if it requires sealer, I apply the sealer accordingly. If it doesn’t require sealer, I apply sealer as a way of holding the gasket in place….. Usually something like Permatex Ultra Black.

If I want it to be adhered without fasteners, it’s Indianhead shellac :gerg :eek

OM

What's the final decision? The usual crowd at Boxerworks seems to like using some kind of sealant/paste.

I'm going to skip on the sealant. I was surprised about the recommendation to use grease or oil to hold the gasket in place. I was planning on using a bit of grease to hold the two round gaskets at the top. I'm leaning towards using a thin coat of grease or oil to hold the gasket in place. However, that task will be for the upcoming weekend.

Kurt, thanks for your posts on both sites.

No

All the times I have installed new chains, I have not used a sealer. The two little bitty gaskets are tricky to keep in place I may have used a tiny drop of something to keep them in place. St.

All the times I have installed new chains, I have not used a sealer. The two little bitty gaskets are tricky to keep in place I may have used a tiny drop of something to keep them in place. St.

I’ve never used a sealer either. The big gasket isn’t too tough to keep in place and a shot of 3M spray adhesive works well on the two small round gaskets.

Best,
DeVern

thanks

Thanks DeVern for refreshing my memory, I couldn't remember what I used to hold the little guys in place. St.

Back