• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 RT power outlet

Is it possible to plug a Battery Tender Jr. in the outlet to charge the battery?

Welcome to the forum!

Seems like it is possible but- after reading thread after thread on how there is a complicated relationship between the outlet and the way the computer on the bike “sees” the outlet, a direct connection to the battery works best.

A SAE connector such as the one that came with the Battery Tender works best and allows the possibility of connecting heated gear or a mini-compressor.

There may be more information in your owners manual and there may be a requirement for Can-Bus specific charger.

Enjoy the forum.

Gary

BMW Motorrad Battery Charger Plus 77022470950

I use the BMW OEM Battery Charger to charge my battery directly from the power outlet.

However, you must use a specific procedure to ensure the power outlet remains "live" during the charge:

1. Turn the ignition of the motorcycle to "ON"
2. Connect the battery charger to the "On Board Socket" first, then connect the charger to a 110 volt outlet.
3. Tiurn the ignition key to the "OFF" position.

Your motorcycle will recognize the charger and will ensure the power outlet remains on.

I've used my BMW Battery charger for my last 3 RTs and it's always worked for me.

A Battery Tender Jr will not be "recognized" by the bike as a charger and will not work through the accessory outlet.

Shortly after I bought my RT, I thought charging through the outlet would be convenient, but I felt the BMW charger was overpriced. So I bought a Dual Program Optimate 4, which is recognized by the bike and can work through the outlet. It has also been used on my cars, compact tractor and other bikes.

The Optimate came with several interchangeable connectors - the DIN 4165 plug for the outlet, a cigarette lighter plug and battery clamps. They all connect to the charger cord with an SAE connector. Switching to/from BMW mode requires shorting the clamps.

After doing the little dance several times (change the tender into BMW mode, switch connections, plug into socket, ignition on, plug in power, ignition off) I just skipped all that and put a fused SAE lead on all my batteries. No connectors to swap, no modes to change, just plug it in. It's a lot simpler and more reliable. If you have even a brief power outage, charging through the outlet may not resume until you cycle the ignition again.

SAE leads are cheap and can also be used to power tire inflators, heated gear, a powered tank bag, etc. I find the lead much more useful than the accessory outlet.

Oh, welcome to the forum!
:wave

Thanks so much for the advice. I had already tried the ignition switch on and then plugging charger, then switching off ignition. Only worked for a couple of minutes.

Ikraus, Post #5 has it right. spend the $ for an Optimate and a SAE pigtail for the direct batt.connection. It tucks away under the plastic when riding and is an easy plug-in when you are home.

For clarity- with a SAE pigtail such as the one that comes with a Battery Tender, no need to buy another charger. The Battery Tender (brand) will do just fine.
OM

Shortly after I bought my RT, I thought charging through the outlet would be convenient, but I felt the BMW charger was overpriced. So I bought a Dual Program Optimate 4, which is recognized by the bike and can work through the outlet. It has also been used on my cars, compact tractor and other bikes.

I've never done a mode change on my Optimate 6. I leave in plugged into the bike's accessory socket most of the time but in the spring will use an SAE cable to my lawnmower. It seems to know the difference.

Last edited:
For clarity- with a SAE pigtail such as the one that comes with a Battery Tender, no need to buy another charger. The Battery Tender (brand) will do just fine.
OM

+1.

The Optimate is a good charger, but if I owned a another tender already, I'd use that one. Charging through the outlet appealed to my Gadgetry Gene, but was less convenient than I had hoped.

Currently, the RT has an Odyssey battery which should have a higher initial charging voltage than the Optimate can provide. I'm now using a Ctek 7002 for the RT. The Optimate still sees use on the smaller battery of a Honda CB175.

Back