Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: R1200GS will not start unless handlebars are turned

  1. #1
    Mark A. dmaust01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    156

    R1200GS will not start unless handlebars are turned

    My R1200GS-ADV (2007) will not start unless the handlebars are turned. Initially, it would only start with the handlebars turned to the right and would run fine once it started. I removed the tank, etc. to look for a broken wire and could not find one. I reassembled the bike and now it will not start unless the handlebars are turned to the left. Just like before, it will fun fine once started and will start if I turn the ignition on and turn the handlebars to the other side with the ignition left on.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to proceed from here? Thanks.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

  2. #2
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,108
    That era bike had quite a few problems with wires breaking inside the sheath because the factory over-tightened the cable ties. You might try tracing the wires from the starter button. One by one, cut the cable ties as you go and wiggle or massage the wires in that area while trying to start the bike. The broken ends will probably make at least temporary contact and you will know where the wire needs to be spliced. Then check any remaining ties for tightness, they should be slightly snug but the wire should be able to slide a little bit. Over-tight concentrates stress at a single point.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  3. #3
    Mark A. dmaust01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    That era bike had quite a few problems with wires breaking inside the sheath because the factory over-tightened the cable ties. You might try tracing the wires from the starter button. One by one, cut the cable ties as you go and wiggle or massage the wires in that area while trying to start the bike. The broken ends will probably make at least temporary contact and you will know where the wire needs to be spliced. Then check any remaining ties for tightness, they should be slightly snug but the wire should be able to slide a little bit. Over-tight concentrates stress at a single point.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

  4. #4
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    23,145
    Mark,

    Look for the wire tie closest to the steering head. Remove that wire tie and wiggle the wiring bundle right at that location. If this changes things then carefully slit the outer sheath and wiggle the individual wires until you find the one that is broken.

    I have had this issue on both my R1150R and my F650 Dakar. Always on a trip too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  5. #5
    Mark A. dmaust01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Mark,

    Look for the wire tie closest to the steering head. Remove that wire tie and wiggle the wiring bundle right at that location. If this changes things then carefully slit the outer sheath and wiggle the individual wires until you find the one that is broken.

    I have had this issue on both my R1150R and my F650 Dakar. Always on a trip too.
    Thank Paul...I hope all is well with you and Voni.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

  6. #6
    Jiggs 59163's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Ulm,Minnesota
    Posts
    68
    Mark,

    Just as the others stated it's a broken wire. Had the same problem on my '05 GS and it was a broken wire by the steering head.

    Good luck you'll find it.

    Jiggs
    Jason Olson "Jiggs"
    Ambassador Liaison
    Be The Adventure Billings Montana 2015 Rally Co-Chair
    '15 BMW R1200GSA

  7. #7
    Mark A. dmaust01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by 59163 View Post
    Mark,

    Just as the others stated it's a broken wire. Had the same problem on my '05 GS and it was a broken wire by the steering head.

    Good luck you'll find it.

    Jiggs
    Thanks Jiggs...it seems to be more common than I initially thought.
    Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-23-2021, 10:24 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
  3. Won't start, unless
    By 22600 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 05:48 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •