• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 RT----Ram ball question

brownie0486

I'm wanting to add a phone cradle [ quad lock ] to a ram ball that replaces one of the 4 bolts that hold the bars to the steering head. I've got Heli riders on the bars.

I'm not sure what ram ball to buy, but specifically the size of the bolt needed [ M8 etc ] and more importantly the length of the bolt needed with the risers in play.

Anyone got some suggestions, know the bolt size I'd need to make sure comes with the ram ball [ or else have to find one at a hardware store hopefull ]. Phones not going to be the primary gps, but when the gps just won't locate a place like where we stayed at the condo in Rocky Point.

GPS would fine rocky point, from there we were obliged to ask directions, except my brother has his mounted on the bike and google maps found out destination. I want that option when on a trip, I'll download the maps to the secondary phone and have that capability if needed.

As well, I understand there are phones without chips [ no internet/wifi etc that are bullet proof, waterproof etc. Looking for suggestions. I should have made note of the one phone most often mention for this assignment

I think you are looking for a RAM-B-367U which comes with M8x1.25 screws in 55, 60, and 65mm lengths. The ball mount requires a screw 25mm (1") longer than what you are using now. At least one of the supplied screws usually works, but I don't know what the Heli-bars require.

I think you are looking for a RAM-B-367U which comes with M8x1.25 screws in 55, 60, and 65mm lengths. The ball mount requires a screw 25mm (1") longer than what you are using now. At least one of the supplied screws usually works, but I don't know what the Heli-bars require.

If I could find out what length the bolt is now with the heli risers in mm, I could then determine if that linked ram ball with bolts would have on that works.

Thanks, that's the one I was looking at yesterday on Amazon also. Just not sure what the bolt length needs to be in mm.

Order it and see if one of them works, deal with getting a new screw later, if necessary.

OR

Remove one of the screws now and measure it, add 25 mm.

Stock BMW screws are M8x30mm, so the M8x55 screw is long enough. The Heli-bars may use something different.

Order it and see if one of them works, deal with getting a new screw later, if necessary.

OR

Remove one of the screws now and measure it, add 25 mm.

Stock BMW screws are M8x30mm, so the M8x55 screw is long enough. The Heli-bars may use something different.

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking, with the bar risers, the screws provided may be too short, then where does one find one of the correct length. I'm not a wrencher by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks

Back