• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Skid Plate for F850 GSA Low Suspension???

smswy

Seems the low suspension models take a beating on after-market products given fewer produced. The OEM skid plate is a flat bottom plastic plate, it does not wrap up in the front to give more protection to header pipes. Touratech’s don’t work, Altrider’s don’t work, Black Dog’s don’t work. Waiting to hear from SW Motech. Anybody have a 2021-2022 low suspension F850 GS Adventure that you have found a better skid plate for?

Order the OEM BMW aluminum plate through a dealer. More expensive but better coverage. All MC parts suppliers can't seem to get them.

I was looking at the Touratech and I'm curious why it wont work. It doesn't mention it in the listings.
I don’t recall if Touratech stated why the Rallyeform skid plate does not work on models newer that 2019 or 2020, if they did at all in the email response. I looked for the email but seems I either deleted or put in wrong folder. Their Expedition Skid plate does work but it does not provide coverage over the exhaust headers as the curve down and towards the back. But there must be some subtle structural change after 2020 because Altrider skid plate states the same and they said in email unfortunately theirs only works through 2020 models. I had querried them because RevZilla says their skid plate works through 2023 models and Altrider said they needed to contact RevZilla again because they’d already corrected them once. Part of the standard frame suspension vs low suspension problem for the skid plates seems to relate to center stands on the former and no OEM center stands on the latter, at least for plates like those made by Black Dog Cycle Works because they use a bracket that is intermediate that abutts the centerstand on either side before the skid plate is attached to that. Nobody really wants my $$$. I’ll follow through with the other referenced BMW OEM plate.

The change in the 2020 and later models that affects the skid plate fitment was to the exhaust system to meet the current Euro emission specs. I believe the catalytic converter is larger which affects many of the skid plate designs.

The change in the 2020 and later models that affects the skid plate fitment was to the exhaust system to meet the current Euro emission specs. I believe the catalytic converter is larger which affects many of the skid plate designs.

Yep, I did about 50 modification videos for our 750GS and I feel bad for folks because 2018-2019 was one design for crash bars and skid plates then 2020 had the EURO5 change. It caused folks like AltRider to cancel their 750/850 accessories because they almost got done building for this bike then BMW changed the mounts on them to account for the different cat & O2 sensor locations. It was already a low sales bike.

Back