• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

East Coast Frame Repair Shops?

stevenrankin

Well, I wrecked my beloved RS. The steering head bosses on the frame are bent as the forks were pushed back in the accident.

Anyone have a source for a reputable shop that could repair it? I am located near Rochester NY. St.

Well, I wrecked my beloved RS. The steering head bosses on the frame are bent as the forks were pushed back in the accident.

Anyone have a source for a reputable shop that could repair it? I am located near Rochester NY. St.

I would think getting a replacement frame would be the better way to go.

Probably

yeah Paul, most likely you are going to be correct. I just got off the phone with Max BMW, they had a frame jig but not longer, it was too much trouble for the cost. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask. St.

There's a couple of frame shops listed in the link in my signature line...nothing on east coast. It's not a big deal to ship something like a frame...I think I've heard people putting them in the cargo area of Greyhound buses.

Based on my personal experience repairing bicycle frames that have taken front-end hits, you need to find someone who can replace the "down tubes", else plan on replacing the frame. You can usually pull the steering head tube back where it needs to be, but the down tube will still have ripples and risk of stress cracks. Not something I'd want to think about while riding at speed. And if they can't pull the head tube back to spec, steering geometry will remain compromised - as in, rather lively.

thanks all

Thank you those who replied and gave me contacts. At this time, I will not be rebuilding the bike, wife says it is jinxed and I believe her as this was my second major accident on it. LOL, if anyone wants a project bike, 78 RS Belgian Police Bike or Autumn Special to tackle feel free to contact me, I can put you in touch with the shop it is at now. LOL, I know, don't do "trade/sale" on the forum, forgive me this time Kurt, St.

Back