• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 R1250GSA without LED Headlight

itznuthin

I recently purchased a 2023 R1250GSA. It came with halogen rather than an LED headlight. One person at the dealership was sure BMW was going to provide the halogen headlight when it became available, but I would have to pay some undetermined cost such as the installation cost (BMW provided a $500 credit due to the missing LED at the time of sale). He likened it to when BMW delivered RT's without a working radio and later fixed it (I'm not familiar with this so I don't know anything about it). Another person at the dealership said BMW was not responding to his questions. He said he simply didn't know what would happen.

Around the time I purchased the bike, I found the following statement on the BMW Mottarad R1250GSA website: "the GSA is being temporarily delivered with halogen headlights" (I didn't screen print it but this is essentially what it said). You can read this one of two ways. One way is that we're delivering the bike to you with halogen lights but as soon as we get the LED's will correct this as we did with the RT radios. That's a reasonable interpretation. The second way is that during this temporary period, this is how we're configuring the GSA and we're giving you a $500 discount for something that would cost you many thousands to correct (that's is the BMW go screw yourself interpretation). The part alone is $2,500 and possibly $500 for installation (maybe this is why I got the $500 discount to cover install costs).

Because LED lights are, in my strong opinion, a safety feature, I really hope they are going to provide the lights to me. I think I'm getting screwed if I don't get the LED's. I also saw a video on YouTube from a motorcycle tour guide in Ireland who mentioned this. He had just purchased a 2023 GSA, and he said the dealer told him that BMW would replace the light when the LED's became available.

Have any of you heard anything about this from your dealer? If I don't get LED lights I'm going to mark this down as getting royally screwed. It's BMW, so I know there will be a cost involved, but if they want me to pay the full cost of $2,500 for the LED light and installation, I'm not going to do it. In that case, I'll just have to figure out what new make of motorcycle to buy when I replace the GSA.

I recently purchased a 2023 R1250GSA. It came with halogen rather than an LED headlight. One person at the dealership was sure BMW was going to provide the halogen headlight when it became available, but I would have to pay some undetermined cost such as the installation cost (BMW provided a $500 credit due to the missing LED at the time of sale). He likened it to when BMW delivered RT's without a working radio and later fixed it (I'm not familiar with this so I don't know anything about it). Another person at the dealership said BMW was not responding to his questions. He said he simply didn't know what would happen.

Around the time I purchased the bike, I found the following statement on the BMW Mottarad R1250GSA website: "the GSA is being temporarily delivered with halogen headlights" (I didn't screen print it but this is essentially what it said). You can read this one of two ways. One way is that we're delivering the bike to you with halogen lights but as soon as we get the LED's will correct this as we did with the RT radios. That's a reasonable interpretation. The second way is that during this temporary period, this is how we're configuring the GSA and we're giving you a $500 discount for something that would cost you many thousands to correct (that's is the BMW go screw yourself interpretation). The part alone is $2,500 and possibly $500 for installation (maybe this is why I got the $500 discount to cover install costs).

Because LED lights are, in my strong opinion, a safety feature, I really hope they are going to provide the lights to me. I think I'm getting screwed if I don't get the LED's. I also saw a video on YouTube from a motorcycle tour guide in Ireland who mentioned this. He had just purchased a 2023 GSA, and he said the dealer told him that BMW would replace the light when the LED's became available.

Have any of you heard anything about this from your dealer? If I don't get LED lights I'm going to mark this down as getting royally screwed. It's BMW, so I know there will be a cost involved, but if they want me to pay the full cost of $2,500 for the LED light and installation, I'm not going to do it. In that case, I'll just have to figure out what new make of motorcycle to buy when I replace the GSA.

I’m curious if all similar ‘23 GSA’s at the dealership were delivered similarly?

OM

Did some looking around-

One note: For 2023, both the R 1250 GS and GS Adventure are listed by BMW as coming with LED headlights. However, as of July 1, 2022, there’s a note on BMW’s U.S. page advising that due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, all 2023 GS bikes will ship from the factory with halogens, with the LED situation to be remedied as and when they become available.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/595692/bmw-r-1250-gs-trophy/

HTH.

OM

BTW, great looking bike!

Here is some personnel experience with 21 RT release (I bought first one at Pensacola, FL dealer). The first RTs didn't have a radio or TPMS. Dealer/Salesman said they would be available later and no idea of cost to me. Then later after purchase found out these early ones didn't even have the wiring harness to support adding a radio. They made TPMS available later with the parts at 50% off and you still paid for labor! Early on BMW did give us free 2 of their headsets and the bike to bike comm hardware (pretty much worthless for quality and if you ride with others Sena/Cardo). The worst part of all of this is the dealer was clueless and I had to tell them as I learned it from the RT forums in England. I know some of the others that got bikes later with no radio at least had the harness but don't remember their cost. Also BMW USA Customer Service has no idea what is going on as I think BMW Corp doesn't tell them sh*t too.
Good luck and hope it eventually works out for you.

Good News

Did some looking around-

One note: For 2023, both the R 1250 GS and GS Adventure are listed by BMW as coming with LED headlights. However, as of July 1, 2022, there’s a note on BMW’s U.S. page advising that due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, all 2023 GS bikes will ship from the factory with halogens, with the LED situation to be remedied as and when they become available.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/595692/bmw-r-1250-gs-trophy/

HTH.

OM

BTW, great looking bike!

I'm encouraged by this article. It's consistent with the YouTube I saw and what one of the sales reps believed would happen.

I'm encouraged by this article. It's consistent with the YouTube I saw and what one of the sales reps believed would happen.

:thumb

Post up a picture of the new bike when you can.

They look great! so great, it keeps me from dealerships and my wallet from taking a hit ;)

OM

My dealer said the same .... the GS's would be delivered with halogen lights and the LED's would most likely be available for retrofit but probably not free. That really sucks.

Last edited:
My dealer said the same .... he GS's would be delivered with halogen lights and the LED's would most likely be available for retrofit but probably not free. That really sucks.

I agree - this sucks! If I were in this position I would do what I have done with most of my bikes with halogen (H-4 and H-7) bulbs: leave the OEM bulb setup alone and add good driving lights.

My dealer said the same .... the GS's would be delivered with halogen lights and the LED's would most likely be available for retrofit but probably not free. That really sucks.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of his 2023 1250 gsa Trophy this week with halogen headlights. When he signed for it he got a $750 reduction on the purchase price and when the LEDs are available, will get it for the same $750 cost, installation included. Retail price for the LED assembly is $3170 CAD.

A friend of mine is taking delivery of his 2023 1250 gsa Trophy this week with halogen headlights. When he signed for it he got a $750 reduction on the purchase price and when the LEDs are available, will get it for the same $750 cost, installation included. Retail price for the LED assembly is $3170 CAD.

That sounds like the proper way to handle things. :thumb

OM

But that is Canada ... let's see how they handle it in the USA. But agree THAT is the way to handle it.

Led

We were told, as recently as yesterday, in writing, that when the new Adaptive LED replacement lights are available, the cost will be $ 500-550 to the owner, plus cost of installation and programing. Fly in the ointment is that in late December they thought the lights would be available in January and that is not going to be the case. For those who don't want to spend that money, a pair of Cyclops LED bulbs will run about $ 130 and work quite well.

Why so much confusion BMW?

We were told, as recently as yesterday, in writing, that when the new Adaptive LED replacement lights are available, the cost will be $ 500-550 to the owner, plus cost of installation and programing. Fly in the ointment is that in late December they thought the lights would be available in January and that is not going to be the case. For those who don't want to spend that money, a pair of Cyclops LED bulbs will run about $ 130 and work quite well.

I guess I'll count myself lucky if I get through this with additional out-of-pocket costs under $1,000. Hopefully, like they're saying in Canada, I'll get everything resolved by repaying the $500 they gave me at the time of the sale. What is frustrating, but not especially surprising, is that BMW isn't really saying anything clearly or consistently. My dealer doesn't even know what's going to happen, and if BMW doesn't feel the need to inform them they certainly aren't too concerned about informing me. I'm hoping that this gets resolved before the riding season starts in PA.

One suggestion I received was to add driving lights. I'm already planning to do that, but as far as lighting goes, in my view, you can never have enough (besides that fact I want the bike to have the features it is supposed to have).

If I get any reliable information I'll post it. Thanks to all for your responses. Don

Was the letter from BMW or from you Dealer

You said you received this in writing. Did you get a letter from BMW or was it from your dealer?

I guess I'll count myself lucky if I get through this with additional out-of-pocket costs under $1,000. Hopefully, like they're saying in Canada, I'll get everything resolved by repaying the $500 they gave me at the time of the sale. What is frustrating, but not especially surprising, is that BMW isn't really saying anything clearly or consistently. My dealer doesn't even know what's going to happen, and if BMW doesn't feel the need to inform them they certainly aren't too concerned about informing me. I'm hoping that this gets resolved before the riding season starts in PA.

One suggestion I received was to add driving lights. I'm already planning to do that, but as far as lighting goes, in my view, you can never have enough (besides that fact I want the bike to have the features it is supposed to have).

If I get any reliable information I'll post it. Thanks to all for your responses. Don

There have been a few situations where my dealer honestly said he was unsure of how BMW would deal with an issue like this. Guess that’s consistent

I heard a similar story when I purchased my 23 R1250GSA last week. The salesperson and the manager had two slightly different stories and the website seemed to suggest that the adaptive lights weren't available. My take was that if the led lights became available at some point in the future that I would probably be on the hook for a non-trivial sum. In the end, going through their inventory, I spotted one that had the light package separately and decided to go with that one. I was lucky that I actually preferred the trophy paint scheme on the bike.

It will be interesting to see how this works out--almost all of the bikes in the Boston area that I saw were fitted with the halogens.

Back