• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABBA Skylift Experience??

smswy

Anyone using the ABBA Skylifts to left their bike off the ground. I had been looking at paddock stands, bottom lifts, etc. I ran across this brand which latches in either side at the swing arm pivot locations. They claim to work with many models, including my 2022 F850 GSA. Wondering if others use this for maintenance and if so what you think of reliability, safety, etc. Thanks, Stephen

There's a couple of older threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

There's a couple of older threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks, I did see that and one guy really liked it. Not much response and dated to 2017. He was asking same thing I am and as typical one responder got off specifc topic and started mentioning other brand. I was hoping for up to date information in 2023 (ABBA might have redesigned aspects) and hoping someone with a F850 GSA had used.

Thanks. I did see that article from 2017. Given in is now 2023 and manufacturers do make improvements in products I was hoping there may be some with up to date information on ABBA specifically. And would be a real treat if they had used in on an F series (650, 750, 800, 850, etc) bike. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that some will respond with up to date info.

I dont have any experience with the skylift model but have the ABBA Superbike stand which I use to lift my 2020 F900R. I purchased it new from their US distributor last year. The overall purchase was easy using their online compatability guides and shipping was prompt. The stand is very easy to use and made of quality material. Very good company from experience.

Very happy with mine. It works on my Husky 701, 1200GSA and 750GS. I need to call them about checking on compatability with my R18 but I’m super happy with mine. I’ve used it in the last week for the annual 750GS annual maintenance.

I like mine very much. I use it regularly with my R1200 RT LC, my R1200GSA LC and my wife's f750gs and CBF1000a.

A friend of mine just got one for his Ducati Multi Strada 1260 and his wife's F800R.
They've apparently improved the lift by making it faster to raise the bike. According to ABBA it's 40% faster.

Installing the bike on the lift is best done with someone spotting you as you need to balance the bike while inserting the lift arm into the swing arm pivot.
The bike can't be on its stand. It's easily doable alone but a little help isn't a bad idea.
Once up, the lift is pretty stable and even on my garage's rough floor, I can move it around.

The only minus is you can't use it with bikes that you don't have access to the swing arm pivot.

Very happy with mine. It works on my Husky 701, 1200GSA and 750GS. I need to call them about checking on compatability with my R18 but I’m super happy with mine. I’ve used it in the last week for the annual 750GS annual maintenance.
Thanks. You said you use ith 750GS. Has me wondering what the connections to the pivot point of the swing arm is like. On my 850 GSA on the right side there is a circular opening, maybe 2cm in diameter for the ABBA connection. But on the left side that pivot point does not have a circular opening, but rather a Torx bolt. So does the connection on the left side use an attachment that is a Torx head? Of course, I will also contact ABBA.

I like mine very much. I use it regularly with my R1200 RT LC, my R1200GSA LC and my wife's f750gs and CBF1000a.

A friend of mine just got one for his Ducati Multi Strada 1260 and his wife's F800R.
They've apparently improved the lift by making it faster to raise the bike. According to ABBA it's 40% faster.

Installing the bike on the lift is best done with someone spotting you as you need to balance the bike while inserting the lift arm into the swing arm pivot.
The bike can't be on its stand. It's easily doable alone but a little help isn't a bad idea.
Once up, the lift is pretty stable and even on my garage's rough floor, I can move it around.

The only minus is you can't use it with bikes that you don't have access to the swing arm pivot.

Thanks. You said you use it with 750GS. Has me wondering what the connections to the pivot point of the swing arm is like. On my 850 GSA on the right side there is a circular opening, maybe 2cm in diameter for the ABBA connection. But on the left side that pivot point does not have a circular opening, but rather a Torx bolt. So does the connection on the left side use an attachment that is a Torx head? I live alone, so I would need to learn to do it alone. Of course, I will also contact ABBA.

Thanks. You said you use ith 750GS. Has me wondering what the connections to the pivot point of the swing arm is like. On my 850 GSA on the right side there is a circular opening, maybe 2cm in diameter for the ABBA connection. But on the left side that pivot point does not have a circular opening, but rather a Torx bolt. So does the connection on the left side use an attachment that is a Torx head? Of course, I will also contact ABBA.

One side is a round hollow in the middle bolt that goes around the bolt. On the other is a small nipple like fitting that goes inside of that Torx. They have a few dozen different fitting combinations and so I have 3 different “fit kits” for my 3 bikes.

the only bike they don’t support that I have is the R18.

Thanks. You said you use it with 750GS. Has me wondering what the connections to the pivot point of the swing arm is like. On my 850 GSA on the right side there is a circular opening, maybe 2cm in diameter for the ABBA connection. But on the left side that pivot point does not have a circular opening, but rather a Torx bolt. So does the connection on the left side use an attachment that is a Torx head? I live alone, so I would need to learn to do it alone. Of course, I will also contact ABBA.

They use different style of fittings that insert into or around the swing arm pivot attachments.
Here are some that I have:

20230118_180153.jpg

The small one goes into the torks bolt on the left hand side of the f750gs

20230118_180256.jpg

One side is a round hollow in the middle bolt that goes around the bolt. On the other is a small nipple like fitting that goes inside of that Torx. They have a few dozen different fitting combinations and so I have 3 different “fit kits” for my 3 bikes.

the only bike they don’t support that I have is the R18.

Thanks. Appreciate your insight.

They use different style of fittings that insert into or around the swing arm pivot attachments.
Here are some that I have:

View attachment 90642

The small one goes into the torks bolt on the left hand side of the f750gs

View attachment 90643

Thanks for showing those. I was wondering what kind of attachment was to be used on the left side with the rather small Torx bolt opening. That attachment must be very strong steel (?) to be able to support 1/2 the weight of the bike without snapping.

Anyone using the ABBA Skylifts to left their bike off the ground. I had been looking at paddock stands, bottom lifts, etc. I ran across this brand which latches in either side at the swing arm pivot locations. They claim to work with many models, including my 2022 F850 GSA. Wondering if others use this for maintenance and if so what you think of reliability, safety, etc. Thanks, Stephen

Quite a concept.

OM

Abba Sky Lift Pro = Great Lift!

I am completely satisfied with mine. I like the adjustability of it, the ease of use for most practical wrenching and detailing jobs in the garage, and the ease of stowing it all away when not in use.

ABBA is in England. I ordered my stand on a Tuesday morning (east coast USA). The stand was delivered Thursday! YMMV, but this is exceptional supply chain management! Kudos to ABBA.

Assembly of the stand is straightforward with no surprises. There are a few parts of the instructions that could be a bit better described, but all-in-all it went together well with no cursing.

I find the stand to be extremely stable and secure in use. Being able to adjust the working height of the bike is fabulous. The only caution I offer is when disconnecting the stand from the right-side attachment point, if needing to slide the stabilizing arm outboard, make very sure you have the bike held securely upright and still supported by the left-side attachment bung. This is the only time you might want an extra human on hand. But I am hoisting a R1250RT fully gassed.

The attachment parts that came with my lift fit both my RT and a GS... possibly other BMW's too.

Yes, expensive, but so nice to have! "Buy once, cry once" I say... :)

Attachments

• ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP01.jpg
    ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP01.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 101
  • ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP03.jpg
    ABBA_SkyLift.Garage_CROP03.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 98
I am completely satisfied with mine. I like the adjustability of it, the ease of use for most practical wrenching and detailing jobs in the garage, and the ease of stowing it all away when not in use.

ABBA is in England. I ordered my stand on a Tuesday morning (east coast USA). The stand was delivered Thursday! YMMV, but this is exceptional supply chain management! Kudos to ABBA.

Assembly of the stand is straightforward with no surprises. There are a few parts of the instructions that could be a bit better described, but all-in-all it went together well with no cursing.

I find the stand to be extremely stable and secure in use. Being able to adjust the working height of the bike is fabulous. The only caution I offer is when disconnecting the stand from the right-side attachment point, if needing to slide the stabilizing arm outboard, make very sure you have the bike held securely upright and still supported by the left-side attachment bung. This is the only time you might want an extra human on hand. But I am hoisting a R1250RT fully gassed.

The attachment parts that came with my lift fit both my RT and a GS... possibly other BMW's too.

Yes, expensive, but so nice to have! "Buy once, cry once" I say... :)

Thanks for the advice and the photos.

Back