• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Campfire and burn bans

enriquez

Hi folks,

I’m from Guatemala, and I’m currently planning on attending the 50th National this year. Once I’m on US soil I would like to camp along the way and enjoy your outdoors (This is one of the three BIG reasons I’m making this trip). I just recently became aware of the so-called Burn Bans imposed by some states to avoid forest fires. I understand that burn bans won’t allow an individual to light a campfire or cook with a wood stove, is this correct? If it is so, what a bummer…

Could anybody care to explain how this works? It is hard for me to imagine a camping night without campfire…

My loosely planned route, would take me thru Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee and Virginia, on June of course, is there any chance the bans will be in effect on those states around that time?

Regards,
Mario

Mario - My gut feel based on the last couple of years is that most of your route will take you east of the states banning campfires. Many of the western states had devastating forest fires in the last few years, but they were not as prevalent in the less arid eastern half of the country. You might run into restrictions in portions of Texas, but for the rest of your route it's likely the only restriction would be that fires must be in metal fire rings and completely extinguished before you leave.

That said, the rules are often established by the individual parks, counties or towns...so there may be some variability in the rules. You might spend some time looking up likely camping spots along your route and see if the web mentions campfire rules.

Looking forward to meeting you in Virginia!

Pete and Glenlivet

The burn bans will depend on the weather conditions this winter and spring.
Last year the cabin we stayed at in Bandera Texas had fire rings and wood for each cabin but we could not use them because that county had a burn ban.
Last fall we stayed at a motel in Yellville Arkansas that had a large fire ring and wood for guests but did not use it because of a burn ban for that county.
Signs will be posted if there's a ban in that county or park.

Mario - My gut feel based on the last couple of years is that most of your route will take you east of the states banning campfires. Many of the western states had devastating forest fires in the last few years, but they were not as prevalent in the less arid eastern half of the country. You might run into restrictions in portions of Texas, but for the rest of your route it's likely the only restriction would be that fires must be in metal fire rings and completely extinguished before you leave.

That said, the rules are often established by the individual parks, counties or towns...so there may be some variability in the rules. You might spend some time looking up likely camping spots along your route and see if the web mentions campfire rules.

Looking forward to meeting you in Virginia!

Pete and Glenlivet

Thank you Pete, hope to see you too!

The burn bans will depend on the weather conditions this winter and spring.
Last year the cabin we stayed at in Bandera Texas had fire rings and wood for each cabin but we could not use them because that county had a burn ban.
Last fall we stayed at a motel in Yellville Arkansas that had a large fire ring and wood for guests but did not use it because of a burn ban for that county.
Signs will be posted if there's a ban in that county or park.

Thank you, will check it out.

Something else to consider is if you stay in established campgrounds with fire rings, camp fires may be allowed. If you’re camping in a dispersed site where you have to construct a fire ring, those may be prohibited. Best to check the local restrictions as you travel because fire restrictions can change daily. If you build a fire make sure it’s cold before you leave it including in the evening before you bed down. Enjoy your travels this summer.

Something else to consider is if you stay in established campgrounds with fire rings, camp fires may be allowed. If you’re camping in a dispersed site where you have to construct a fire ring, those may be prohibited. Best to check the local restrictions as you travel because fire restrictions can change daily. If you build a fire make sure it’s cold before you leave it including in the evening before you bed down. Enjoy your travels this summer.

Gary,

Going by your signature, I'm sure you have lot experience on this subject.

Thanks for your advice, I'll take care of that.

Regards,
Mario

Lee,

Is the north west part of Arkansas is less likely to have burn bans>

Regard,s
Mario

NW Arkansas is considered the nicer part of that State for riding. Basically if you draw a diagonal line from the bottom of Arkansas at the west point, to the north east point of the State, the north western half is hillier and a little higher (cooler).

NW Arkansas is considered the nicer part of that State for riding. Basically if you draw a diagonal line from the bottom of Arkansas at the west point, to the north east point of the State, the north western half is hillier and a little higher (cooler).

Milo, tanks for the tip.

I'll see if I can accommodate my route to include at least some part of NW Arkansas.

Regards

Milo, tanks for the tip.

I'll see if I can accommodate my route to include at least some part of NW Arkansas.

Regards

If you have time the back roads in NW Arkansas are more fun and the scenery is better than southern Arkansas.
I would guess southern Arkansas would have less fire danger because I remember it being more farm ground.
It's been a long time since we've been in southern Arkansas.

Back