• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 21-23, 2023

I live a couple of hours from the resort and although I don't want to take time off work to attend the weekend there I could ride up Saturday morning and lead a ride to Hot Springs for lunch and back. I know the area very well & I have a few routes I can take depending on traffic. Let me know if that's ok with the Getaway organizers & if anyone is interested. I like to limit my mountain rides to no more than 10 other riders.

Dave,
Locals leading rides with intimate knowledge of the indigenous riding environment is not only authorized but welcomed. Hang around the lodge, you’ll easily find 10 members on bikes willing to tap into your local riding knowledge.

Hot Springs Ride

I like to limit my mountain rides to no more than 10 other riders.

Sounds good! If you still have room in the 10 limit, add me to it. Will be good to ride with another Carolinian! Lived in Statesville 35 years and recently moved to Georgia.

I'm all for the 10 limit in the mountains; more fun and safer.

Sam

Sounds good! If you still have room in the 10 limit, add me to it. Will be good to ride with another Carolinian! Lived in Statesville 35 years and recently moved to Georgia.

I'm all for the 10 limit in the mountains; more fun and safer.

Sam
I'll start a list with your name first. The ride is an all day ride and is about 250 miles long. It will be more of a scenic ride than a spirited ride. 100 miles of the ride is on the long loop of the Rattler. Depending on weather & traffic there will be up to 8 stops 4 at service stations 1 for lunch 1 at an overlook 1 at the French Broad River in Marshall NC & 1 at the Rattler sign on NC Hwy 209 for pictures. We will need to leave no later than 9:30 in order to return by around 5:00.

Right around the corner from our house, I should ride down to the store and :wave as you ride by.

Suggest taking a over-back detour on NC63.
I met you on one of my group rides a few years ago. You rode up & met us at the Smoky Mountain Diner for lunch. Hwy. 63 heading west from Meadows Town Rd. is one of my favorite roads to ride on. It is always part of my route when I'm in the area.

I met you on one of my group rides a few years ago. You rode up & met us at the Smoky Mountain Diner for lunch. Hwy. 63 heading west from Meadows Town Rd. is one of my favorite roads to ride on. It is always part of my route when I'm in the area.

Ah, ok... I have the CRS disease. The Diner still serves those heart-attack-on-a-plate breakfasts!

It is looking like a wet day Saturday. I'll be there around 8:30 am regardless of the weather so I can look the resort over. If you do the getaway there next year I'll attend. I'll still do the ride if anyone wants to.

Anyone interested in the ride to Hot Springs for lunch the restaurant address is 13075 NC Hwy 209 Hot Springs NC. The first fuel stop will be at the BP station 25 miles from Fontana. The next fuel stop will be at the Marathon station in Waynesville NC 75 miles from Fontana at this stop everyone will need at least a half a tank of fuel. As of today it looks like the roads will be wet & it will be raining until at least lunch time.

Because of the rain & wet roads if your tire tread wear is more than 50% I suggest you get new tires tomorrow at Wheeler's Performance 2035 Tapoco Rd. (US 129) Robbinsville NC 828-479-4998. Shallow tread depth on wet mountain roads is asking for trouble. We will need to leave no later than 9:30 so you can be back by 5:00 pm. I have 7 stops planned with the last stop at the Shell station at Hwy 209 & I-40.

This ride will be around 275 miles. I will be monitoring the time it takes to get back to the Fontana Resort on one of my GPS's in case I have to adjust the time on our stops & on the my other GPS I'll have the weather radar map on so I a see where the green, red & yellow rain is in case we need to change the route or stop for a little bit.

Always good to have a ride report and or pictures of an event. :thumb

OM

There were what, 100 people at that event? (plus our leadership and paid staff...)

How about we make an #MOAgetaway hashtag for social media and a contest where some member wins a nice prize if they tag posts in their feeds about these events?

Good way to get the word out to potential non-members.

Get more mileage from the investment we make in these events.

:dunno

... hey, someone gets it!

Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 10.28.41 AM.png

I love this. I still remember being at a BMW MOA (Inter) National rally where people were gleefully passing out little white stickers which read, "Motel Rallies Suck." Oh how times have changed; or maybe I should say oh how we have changed.

I love this. I still remember being at a BMW MOA (Inter) National rally where people were gleefully passing out little white stickers which read, "Motel Rallies Suck." Oh how times have changed; or maybe I should say oh how we have changed.

Looking back, I believe we were all very fortunate to be part of that experience. Although the machines were not as reliable, and the riding and camping equipment was not as protective, we were all a lot younger and stronger and willingly bore the hardships in return for a unique way of exploring the country and enjoying outdoor time with friends.

Now that I am old(er), I often haul a bike and sleep in air conditioned comfort, but it’s just not the same and I do miss that.

Re: Fontana
I rode to and camped at the infamous RA National rally there many years ago and was interviewed by the local paper. I still have the letter of apology from the editor. The locals were not pleased with the way we were treated, nor were they at all happy about the money the sheriff spent on the several law enforcement agencies he brought in for the event. Ah, the good old days …

Back