• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning light/message on 2010 K1300GT- Does it matter?

selyab

I am getting an intermittent front lamp warning message on my 2010 K1300GT but all the lamps appear to be working. During my pre purchase ride, the seller and I dropped by the local BMW dealership to ask them about it. The service guy eyeballed the low beam headlight and and said it was aftermarket and probably causing the fault to appear. He said they get bulbs off of Amazon due to the BMW price but he did not volunteer which brand they use. Can anyone tell which brands they have used successfully from the many brands appearing on Amazon? BTW it is a Xenon bulb. Thanks.

Before buying anything first have your battery load tested. I started getting intermittent light warnings at startup on my K1300GT, accompanied with “failure to strike” error codes when scanning the system with GS-911. A new battery, along with allowing the system to complete all diagnostics before pressing the starter button, eliminated the problem.

Best,
DeVern

Before buying anything first have your battery load tested. I started getting intermittent light warnings at startup on my K1300GT, accompanied with “failure to strike” error codes when scanning the system with GS-911. A new battery, along with allowing the system to complete all diagnostics before pressing the starter button, eliminated the problem.

Best,
DeVern

I got around to looking at the battery and load tested it last night. The battery is very healthy. I have been getting several other nuisance messages besides the bulb out one but that one seems to be on almost all the time. My plan has been to ride it and see what problems go away on their own since none of them are critical.

I got around to looking at the battery and load tested it last night. The battery is very healthy. I have been getting several other nuisance messages besides the bulb out one but that one seems to be on almost all the time. My plan has been to ride it and see what problems go away on their own since none of them are critical.

I have seen many people change the front headlight to an inferior aftermarket LED or incandescent which did not put enough of a load on the CanBus system. One of the first and cheapest things to do is change the front headlight bulb if it has been replaced with a standard H7 bulb plus if you know somebody who has a scanner it would be advisable to clear the computer of any fault codes.

I have seen many people change the front headlight to an inferior aftermarket LED or incandescent which did not put enough of a load on the CanBus system. One of the first and cheapest things to do is change the front headlight bulb if it has been replaced with a standard H7 bulb plus if you know somebody who has a scanner it would be advisable to clear the computer of any fault codes.

This is an HID/Xenon installation, not an H7. The actual fault code is "41729 Low beam headlight 2 open circuit" but the lamp is working. This stock lamp costs $376.42 from BMW.

I will add a bit to the title for clarity.

OM

OM, This warning symbol message does not include a warning light (yellow triangle) so adding it to my subject line does NOT add clarity.

The problem has just morphed to the headlight not working at all, including the high beams. I know they had a recall on combination switches on the 2009 model but this is a 2010 although I would have to check build date.
At $650, this is not a switch that I would casually change. If anyone has some knowledge on the combination switch and the type of failures associated with it, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Last edited:
Headlight failure including high beams

The problem has just morphed to the headlight not working at all, including the high beams. I know they had a recall on combination switches on the 2009 model but this is a 2010 although I would have to check build date.
At $650, this is not a switch that I would casually change. If anyone has some knowledge on the combination switch and the type of failures associated with it, I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

A VIN check by your dealer should show if the bike is covered under the recall and if so, whether or not it was done. I’d suspect it’s not eligible but only a VIN check will tell. But if there’s a problem with switchgear on a CANBUS bike I’d be looking for codes in a scan.

Best,
DeVern

A VIN check by your dealer should show if the bike is covered under the recall and if so, whether or not it was done. I’d suspect it’s not eligible but only a VIN check will tell. But if there’s a problem with switchgear on a CANBUS bike I’d be looking for codes in a scan.

Best,
DeVern

IMG_2957.jpg

Here are the codes. I checked recall activity but I need to confirm the status. I started to look at the switchgear and it must have the smallest screws ever. Maybe a torx?

I wouldn’t be too quick to try disassembling that LH switch gear- the parts fiche specifically cautions against it. Maybe start by tracing the cable from the switch gear to its connector, then do some continuity checking to see if the switchgear is making contact. Service manual says the unit is sealed, and installs/removes by sliding off the end of the bar and not by separating the unit.

Best,
DeVern

Attachments

• LH Switch Replacement.pdf
    629 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
When continuity is lost for both high and low beam headlight circuits I suspect maybe a failed ground.

This is where I'd start.

I'd also look for a load on the circuit greater than anticipated, which can cause the CanBus to shut the circuit down. Anyone trying to run an electric vest on early can bus bikes is probably familiar with this phenomenon.

I'd also swap in some standard bulbs to take the variability of resistance load out of the problem solving.

The problem turned out to be a loose connector in the harness. It looked connected but when I pulled on the harness, it came apart. Not only do the lights now work, the original forward bulb out prompt is gone. I have had that prompt since day one when I bought it last December but the lights had always worked until recently. I am happy. :thumb

The problem turned out to be a loose connector in the harness. It looked connected but when I pulled on the harness, it came apart. Not only do the lights now work, the original forward bulb out prompt is gone. I have had that prompt since day one when I bought it last December but the lights had always worked until recently. I am happy. :thumb

It's great when a quick physical check reveals the source of the issue, isn't it? That's awesome!

Back