• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 1250 RT Protection bars

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
I'll be getting a new 1250RT in the spring and right now I'm trying to decide which engine protector bars and side case protectors I want to install.
If any RT folks out there have Wunderlich, Ilium Works or other protection bars installed on an RT would you please be so kind as to post a pic or 2
to help me decide which I want to purchase? Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

BMW Authority Bike Engline Guards?

The January 2023 issue of ON has a beautiful cover photograph of an R1250RT going through the BMW training course.

I noticed the bike has the same front engine guards as installed on the BMW police RT bikes.

So, my question is, should I consider purchasing the BMW OEM front engine guards for my 2022 RT?

Has anyone added these to their RT? If so, let us know how it worked out for you.

Ride safe in 2023

I'll be getting a new 1250RT in the spring and right now I'm trying to decide which engine protector bars and side case protectors I want to install.
If any RT folks out there have Wunderlich, Ilium Works or other protection bars installed on an RT would you please be so kind as to post a pic or 2

Forum does not like google photos (HEIC format) so a link... I got the wunderlickers before I picked up the bike. Never heard anything negative about illium works either. In fact- based on more recent experience with wunderlichhhhhh I can say that I wish I bought the illiums instead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jj2Maky6sByos8GY7

AF1QipMPuyeW84dw7DEWToxBYjAntBHj-oqB_ICxYR1_

AL9nZEXIkS5GZ2svhxJR53NV95k6a_WhatOQoIRYdx2piDzZD6KXDD1pMM091rqJuF2JxrRcg0zWfXLaySK9o2dOT41_g9Gp8ZqNv95s4zCnp3bp8WrKJm_HvEFcgGWAVOXJGkxjaYUYdJPIarvI2_5tYJK6BQ=w1226-h1634-no

AL9nZEUJ-9QcaMS1JVWrm-_Zg8X6G8Dpg0Z6N2wgWDBcjealEfuQRTnd5vcI9Yn-OcC2UF3viJwnrSPORBQeCHTLnQX5yq0wOr6HqzmCChCLznPQrSm_oVzp3CASM-O-J8gzeGbe_XBBNifi1nsJvlAoV3Xk0w=w1226-h1634-no

Last edited:
Y'know I looked and I just uploaded pics the same way not long ago... The upload box was saying not valid this time... maybe I'll just save as jpeg after downloading next time

I recently installed the Wunderlich side case protectors. They seem very well made though the right hand bar attachment comes VERY close to the muffler. Only about 1/16" of clearance, which seems too little.

I recently installed the Wunderlich side case protectors. They seem very well made though the right hand bar attachment comes VERY close to the muffler. Only about 1/16" of clearance, which seems too little.

Hmm I just checked mine. At the closest approach (the bolt and the muffler) I can stick my fingertip in there. So- that is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch.. The muffler is stationary so.. seems ok to me. (2022 RT)

The January 2023 issue of ON has a beautiful cover photograph of an R1250RT going through the BMW training course.

I noticed the bike has the same front engine guards as installed on the BMW police RT bikes.

So, my question is, should I consider purchasing the BMW OEM front engine guards for my 2022 RT?

Has anyone added these to their RT? If so, let us know how it worked out for you.

Ride safe in 2023

I had looked into doing that on my 2022 RT. After pricing out the Police bike brackets, I found they were about 3 times the cost of the Wunderlich that I went with.

Hmm I just checked mine. At the closest approach (the bolt and the muffler) I can stick my fingertip in there. So- that is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch.. The muffler is stationary so.. seems ok to me. (2022 RT)

Can you post a photo of the gap? I'd like to see if I'm missing something obviously wrong with how I installed them.

hey- I was wrong. The bolt is about a 1/2 inch clearance, but it's not the closest approach. I missed an angle where the bar itself looks like it's just shy of 1/4 off the muffler.

XmTQL2ZgdPwDkzn3pc_RluArRQLBMgDEzEuk_v6OhGghLB-tNH7lJEX7Yhos5dg-m1zWwsqY33TIQbmU6MTuBKY3EmbYoCByg6w7rHtzYn4cW4TcZpEHXkM_jKTkgsnnXvjF4MNxeFoMv8TPwvpChU0e7lj9ta60sNP0XDentjUP3WLWIYej4leDSrPqeD0YqxOSDnoy8XKho6tFs1IiX9c7zUbsdZfVStsPv2Y3heCUgMBvyNLkjqd0zuL6YybWW17CmRMvNMZZKr1_YA23Q7KBChJad-YC7KQxS4Xyq5U_a2dwp7BeSHD87lSka7hdOyB1OaI-IAK-avTxs9TQWt13fudZ0jtBwVPS61oP5d50XzbJsIM4f3DAHUbh-dbZWDPKJghd21F4ZsMQnkns7TeR-1frieRk1FhXiVm6eXkWWxMZbLtp0AobON7i0DFC2Lj8Ud_seVNdwSuBODU5Biy0P0bqSlbND8SuY0ThClIFyR0uRKjHFlgxrqgrPtoUMh4hRBoDeZET72J8xJcytfFcSdQtrxcVZLPfRpZD2x_O0JDaaHuEcilczmJ4hZn8At5w3mGNX2hgqgKJDLiel5HrDLwPnaTAsc8NbZ5iCHDMZgkLIJKiAfcA-hvOvxukd8QM0ERAdyeUQwhHCIvHLUhabv7SgduhEJRcH6Ytj0G-lYbMV-y17M3-hT4XjYqghWHRCJHLQDpNAswtH0al2CL7O-abhsUmCNH4vF33A05-EZ2dsPO19pcS0FwmnsOfhWu5v31HAUEF9iKxX9MOgx5aU5lPygG4jubTOAToL64zYWa7jGAmwjyfPt-Qxpuu_fMLcyK8s_Do5v4SsJOb60T9A_mE1V3IzrYa6-78iAUFAtbtLG2Bf-XKE4RE823urCAjR982pnUGtGUvT08kPQBfVhTO-usWFHIUlzP5zvHm8haR7A=w1226-h1634-no

hey- I was wrong. The bolt is about a 1/2 inch clearance, but it's not the closest approach. I missed an angle where the bar itself looks like it's just shy of 1/4 off the muffler.

Your photo doesn't come through for some reason - can you email to me? jonom01 AT gmail.com

Ilium Works

I can vouch for Ilium Works. Have had them on both my RT's. They last and they keep the bike scratch free. I also have the latest adjustable highway pegs and they are a big help on longer tour days.

5E61117D-B741-4699-B4DA-97416126E876.jpeg

Beyond the parking lot tip over, the protection bars will do nothing to protect the head in a high or low speed get off. In fact in a high speed get off they may add to the damage vs. preventing it. Be informed.

Forum does not like google photos (HEIC format) so a link... I got the wunderlickers before I picked up the bike. Never heard anything negative about illium works either. In fact- based on more recent experience with wunderlichhhhhh I can say that I wish I bought the illiums instead.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jj2Maky6sByos8GY7

AF1QipMPuyeW84dw7DEWToxBYjAntBHj-oqB_ICxYR1_

AL9nZEXIkS5GZ2svhxJR53NV95k6a_WhatOQoIRYdx2piDzZD6KXDD1pMM091rqJuF2JxrRcg0zWfXLaySK9o2dOT41_g9Gp8ZqNv95s4zCnp3bp8WrKJm_HvEFcgGWAVOXJGkxjaYUYdJPIarvI2_5tYJK6BQ=w1226-h1634-no

AL9nZEUJ-9QcaMS1JVWrm-_Zg8X6G8Dpg0Z6N2wgWDBcjealEfuQRTnd5vcI9Yn-OcC2UF3viJwnrSPORBQeCHTLnQX5yq0wOr6HqzmCChCLznPQrSm_oVzp3CASM-O-J8gzeGbe_XBBNifi1nsJvlAoV3Xk0w=w1226-h1634-no
Thanks for the pics. My mind’s made up. They look good especially with those valve covers. If you don’t mind would you post or pm me the Wunderlich part numbers for both sets? I’d appreciate that. (New Triple black coming in the spring. Should be near the end of the assembly line any day now. I’m getting excited.)

Beyond the parking lot tip over, the protection bars will do nothing to protect the head in a high or low speed get off. In fact in a high speed get off they may add to the damage vs. preventing it. Be informed.

limecreek, I beg to differ. The protection extends well beyond the parking lot tip-over, although that can't be discounted. The cost of a new 1250 pannier is in the range of $1500 and the cost of other body and engine parts are prohibitive as well. More importantly, the engine and pannier protection bars are a significant benefit in a variety of crash scenarios by keeping the full weight of a 600 lbs machine from landing on ones leg. At a track day last summer a K1600 low-sided at considerable speed and between the riders protective gear and his crash-bars he walked away with no injuries.

AL9nZEXJUwPAElCdF3hfEi0UyyfeaHi7MctLIUwp9ZdcP_m8lR6dUDSvbtDaKG1FrDsklCG89D0YHe2HNX2O8z_VDsbdllv-li0nyXTqTbWIbidjZTaB2TiBDUVcL8us6ijpryTED3WRj4N1TMwa3pNU3a-d8w=w1076-h1434-no

Great looking setup! :thumb

OM
They look like they fit well with what appear to be the same as my Option 719 valve covers (except the blue accents)
So they’re Wunderlickers you say.
I saw this on their site so I gave Wunderlich a pass:

MODEL: NOTES:
R1250RT Will not fit with Option 719 valve covers

Seems odd.

My experience with the ilium front and rear bars on my ‘21RT, braking to make a turn and got hit from behind hard enough to knock me off the bike. When all was done BOTH sides of the bike had made contact with the ground. Not a scratch anywhere but the ilium bars.

I have the Ilium bars. I tried to upad some pictures but it keeps rotating them 90 degrees. Anyone know the fix?

Back