• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Customer Satisfaction

I've been a USAA insurance (home, life, auto) and banking customer for 48 years. Before that I was on my parents' USAA policy. I wish they would insure motorcycles, but they don't. Depending on where one lives they refer you to another company. In Montana they send you to Progressive.

Same in Florida.

I got rear ended once (in my car) by a Progressive policy holder. The guy was kind of a jerk, but, I can't say enough good things about how Progressive dealt with me. It was one of the most positive customer experiences I have had.

The back story: out of the corner of my eye I saw a car going too fast toward a red light (I had green). I hit the brakes and stopped. He ran the red and someone in the other lane hit him and they all went spinning. I had time to go "whew" and then bang; I got hit from behind. The guy who hit me got out and said "That guy ran the red light" I said "yes he did, but he didn't hit me, you did". He said "that guy caused all this". I repeated "he didn't hit me - you did."

I've been with USAA since 1967 for cars, and house. They did insure my motorcycle when I lived in MA, but switched me to Progressive a few years ago. I've never had any claim with Progressive. I don't know if being with USAA makes any difference in price or claims service, but they certainly have been attentive when I've called.

I live in Florida and had Progressive motorcycle insurance on and off for more than 20 years. Rates were good and I never had a claim. When I sold my Gold Wing and bought my 2021 R1250RT the rate more than doubled from just under $300 to over $600 for the same coverage. I checked prices and found the same coverage for under $300 with Geico. Had to switch to the lower rate.

The policy I just created with Progressive has collision and comprehensive listed separately. I was able to choose a deductible amount for each.

Maybe they just piggybacked your headlight chip onto your collision claim for the wheel and didn’t list the chip as a separate comprehensive claim? If they did that, perhaps that was in your best interest rather than get charged two separate deductibles?
Hi, even though I told them I wasn't sure where the chip occurred and it "could have been at the same time" they separated the claims. Moral of the story is, if you are going in to ask your agent a question be sure they don't make any phone calls!

FWIW, the coverage amounts were very fair, and the rate increase could be due to everything else going up in 2022.

Look I think this is much like tires and oil... Ask any 10 people about an insurance company- and it will probably be close to evenly split with either extreme praise or horror stories..

But in keeping with the theme so far- I also have Progressive, outsourced by USAA. Normally I would laugh at the idea of giving my money to Progressive because I simply do not wish to patronize left wing supporting companies whenever I can help it. But this is the way USAA does things. So far over a few years now- it was been way less money than everyone else I checked with. I shop it just before renewal every year. No one was even close for the BMW.

On the Victory- I think the el cheapo affiliate of Allstate (E-something... Esurance?) was the only one that was even in the ballpark @ like $130 more per year. (every quote based on the same parameters). When Vickie and I went down in June 2021- (with about 55k on it) Progressive sent out some kid that could not spell motorcycle. I'm not sure what this boy was smoking- but I want some. I ended up with basically the same amount I bought it new for in Sept. 2013. Now- don't interpret that as totally breaking even. Vickie had a few braaaaap-tastic goodies under her hood. Still- I figure I got damn near double what I could have realistically sold her for privately.

So- Progressive has been very very good to date. Might be because USAA has a 120mm cannon aimed at their forehead lest they screw up- but whatever.

Last edited:
I insured my motorcycles with progressive for over 20 years. I never had a claim and never questioned how much the premium was. It seemed fair. My wife was switching the cars over to allstate and just out of curiosity, I asked about insuring my RT. They cut my premium by 40% for the same level of coverage. I switched carriers and never looked back!

I insured my motorcycles with progressive for over 20 years. I never had a claim and never questioned how much the premium was. It seemed fair. My wife was switching the cars over to allstate and just out of curiosity, I asked about insuring my RT. They cut my premium by 40% for the same level of coverage. I switched carriers and never looked back!

Just out of curiosity was it USAA/Progressive? I asked the Progressive rep to move my vehicles to Progressive because they were so awesome in handling my claim on my ‘05 RT, and the lady told me that “Progressive” rates couldn’t touch my USAA/Progressive rates; and that was when I realized that Progressive and USAA/Progressive were almost completely separate companies.

Just out of curiosity was it USAA/Progressive? I asked the Progressive rep to move my vehicles to Progressive because they were so awesome in handling my claim on my ‘05 RT, and the lady told me that “Progressive” rates couldn’t touch my USAA/Progressive rates; and that was when I realized that Progressive and USAA/Progressive were almost completely separate companies.

I was referred to Progressive by USAA. I went through the process of getting a quote from Progressive online and it was good. I decided, however, to see if there were any local Progressive agents and to see what they had to offer. I much prefer being able to call or meet with a person I know rather than deal with a different stranger on the phone every time. I meet with a local agent and she gave me slightly lower rates, and when I showed her my MSF card to get lower rates she said, “That’s my father.” When she saw the signature on the card. Been with her several years and meet with her once a year to renew and exchange emails when I need to make changes.

I have been satisfied with Progressive. I switched from Geico, and the rates are much lower, especially if you pay in full. I get a discount for the MSF course and I think it helps if you have multiple bikes.

After getting everyones feedback on Progressive Insurance. I changed my cars and motorcycles insurance to Progressive and saved hundreds of dollars with better coverage. I would recommend you get a quote from Progressive.

USAA/Progressive Information

Tom - Thanks for starting this thread on Progressive Insurance. Since there have been a number of posts which mention USAA, and its association with Progressive this might be a good time to encourage any present of former US military personnel to look into becoming a member of the organization. I joined in 1967 when I was in USN OCS, and have enjoyed the benefits of automobile, homeowners and motorcycle insurance ever since. USAA once was an organization only for commissioned officers but that limitation went away years ago. Now any veteran and present member of the military is eligible, as are their children.

So, here's the URL for United Services Auto Association: https://www.usaa.com/?wa_ref=pub_global_home

Tom - Thanks for starting this thread on Progressive Insurance. Since there have been a number of posts which mention USAA, and its association with Progressive this might be a good time to encourage any present of former US military personnel to look into becoming a member of the organization. I joined in 1967 when I was in USN OCS, and have enjoyed the benefits of automobile, homeowners and motorcycle insurance ever since. USAA once was an organization only for commissioned officers but that limitation went away years ago. Now any veteran and present member of the military is eligible, as are their children.

So, here's the URL for United Services Auto Association: https://www.usaa.com/?wa_ref=pub_global_home

+1

I use all of their services (dependent of deceased Army vet) and they shine in all areas IMHO.

On the topic of state cost differences, mine was heartbreaking.

New Hampshire:
R18
R1200GSA
F750GS
K75
Husky 701
KLR 250

Annual premium for $250 deductible + extra accessory coverages for all bikes including my GSA which I had $20,000 in accessory coverage added was $850 a year. It was less than that because I would drop to comprehensive only October - April on most of the bikes. I have 250/500 coverage on all and uninsured motorist matching that.

——-

Charlotte, NC, I sold the K75 and KLR 250, I removed the accessories coverage and I upped my deductible to $500

Annual Premium is $1500. That’s double the price for half of the coverage. If I just want to do accessories coverage of $20,000 on my GSA, that’ll be an extra $650 a year.

And I can ride year round so I won’t get any winter savings at all unless I just choose to not ride.

It’s truthfully infuriating how i have less bikes and less coverage and am paying twice a much.

This is with Geico. I went to every other insurance company and the rates are the same or higher. I’m considering selling my BMW R18.

Another thing about NC, you can’t drop your bikes to comprehensive only even in the Winter. If you remove collision even though you’re not riding for 6 months, you’re supposed to forfeit your plate to the DMV. What a load of BS.

People told me the south is cheaper than the north. In the case of Insurance, it is absolutely not.

I called USAA a few years ago, their quotes were considerably higher than what I was paying. Moved on, never considered contacting them again about insuring my home, and 4 vehicles.

On the topic of state cost differences, mine was heartbreaking.

New Hampshire:
R18
R1200GSA
F750GS
K75
Husky 701
KLR 250

Annual premium for $250 deductible + extra accessory coverages for all bikes including my GSA which I had $20,000 in accessory coverage added was $850 a year. It was less than that because I would drop to comprehensive only October - April on most of the bikes. I have 250/500 coverage on all and uninsured motorist matching that.

——-

Charlotte, NC, I sold the K75 and KLR 250, I removed the accessories coverage and I upped my deductible to $500

Annual Premium is $1500. That’s double the price for half of the coverage. If I just want to do accessories coverage of $20,000 on my GSA, that’ll be an extra $650 a year.

And I can ride year round so I won’t get any winter savings at all unless I just choose to not ride.

It’s truthfully infuriating how i have less bikes and less coverage and am paying twice a much.

This is with Geico. I went to every other insurance company and the rates are the same or higher. I’m considering selling my BMW R18.

Another thing about NC, you can’t drop your bikes to comprehensive only even in the Winter. If you remove collision even though you’re not riding for 6 months, you’re supposed to forfeit your plate to the DMV. What a load of BS.

People told me the south is cheaper than the north. In the case of Insurance, it is absolutely not.

Adam ....
i moved to Charlotte in '96 and it was considerably less than in NJ. Have all my insurance with Erie except for my 2 bikes which is with Progressive. So far very happy with them.

Did not know you moved to Charlotte, WELCOME! We have a great BMW dealer here too!!

Back