• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spark Plug Replacement

Moto316

I'm curious what the recommended/average mileage is for spark plugs? I can't find any info on the life expectancy. The bike is running fine but thinking I should upgrade? I have a 2007 with 40,000 and the original plugs.

Most owners manual call for spark plug replacement every 12,000 miles. I just pulled mine on my 12,000 mile service, they were in great shape, meaning they could probably go much longer. Plugs are an easy, relatively inexpensive way to keep that boxer humming and fuel economy at peak performance.

It would help if you put your bike's info in your sig like you see in Reese's.
What does your manual say? Probably 12,000 miles like it has been for a while. When you do take them out take a picture please.

Spark plugs seem to last a long time nowadays. I sometimes change them due to time installed even if the engine is running great as I get concerned about the plugs seizing in the head(s). If you are changing them yourself, you probably need the thin-walled socket and the stick coil puller.

Someone will probably chime in with more information.

OM

You can switch to Iridium plugs.
They have a substantially longer life and the bike will run smoother.
75k mile design life
DCPR8EIX is the number.

I don't know what the average life span of standard spark plugs are but they are a 24,000 mile replacement item according to BMW Motorrad's Maintenance Schedule for 2005-2009 R1200GS.

I don't know what the average life span of standard spark plugs are but they are a 24,000 mile replacement item according to BMW Motorrad's Maintenance Schedule for 2005-2009 R1200GS.

Agree - BMW recommends 24k miles for spark plug replacement on the hexhead engines. I ran iridium plugs for a while and didn't see any performance or mileage difference, but I did run them longer than 24k. If you go 48k between changes, then you're saving ~$10 at current prices.

Last edited:
Moto316

From your profile I see your bike is a 2007 GS. The spark plugs are specific to your owners manual and the replenishment schedule is as stated earlier in the thread. From your manual:

The BMW Maintenance Schedule states that all spark plugs should be renewed every 40,000km / 24,000 miles and their condition checked every 10,000km / 6000 miles.

7D9DAA30-551E-46D3-B777-CC7F072E5310.jpeg

Though our bikes are different, I’ve included photos of the 12,000 mile plugs and their replacements. A special bonus if anyone can guess which plug was the left one.

849DA5BE-13A6-42D4-A5A4-29EFD2A2DEE5.jpg

8B9211B8-4748-45E6-8E8A-A22CFCE17E50.jpeg

473E2E24-456F-477F-B3CC-FBDE133BE627.jpeg

Older bikes didn't have Iridium and lasted twice as long as now? Never would have guessed that.

Reese, to test my 50/50 90 rule the second one from the top is the left?

Older bikes didn't have Iridium and lasted twice as long as now? Never would have guessed that.

Reese, to test my 50/50 90 rule the second one from the top is the left?

You are correct. You can see the thicker coking on the bottom threads… good eye sir.

Also… if you remember, the early model 1200’s had 4 plugs instead of 2 so… twice the distance?

Thanks guys. I couldn't find my manual. 12,000 sounds right.

A guy in my local group gave me 4 new plugs and a coil removal tool, so easy enough to change. Turns out the coil removal tool did not work well. It broke the plastic pulling part of the coil right off with very little pressure on pulling. An expensive lesson learned, again.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 9.24.03 AM.pngIMG_8435.jpg

The coils would have still worked but I opted to buy new ones and a different coil removal tool. The picture is the one that did work for me, I bought the common $15 aluminum one at my shop with the new coils.

The plugs were not too bad for 40k.

Coils come out easily using a couple flat blade screwdrivers. Add a little tape to prevent scratching the paint.
Sm Coil removal.jpg

Attachments

• Coil removal.jpg
    Coil removal.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 169
Coils come out easily using a couple flat blade screwdrivers. Add a little tape to prevent scratching the paint.

Yes they should. The theory is the same using the tool, pulling on the outer ridge of plastic on the coil. I don't know why mine broke off using the tool? I imagine they would have broke using screwdrivers also.

Yes they should. The theory is the same using the tool, pulling on the outer ridge of plastic on the coil. I don't know why mine broke off using the tool? I imagine they would have broke using screwdrivers also.
If the tool is not fitted all the way onto the coil - slid all the way toward the front - it's a cinch to damage the coil like that.

This is what my coils look like, not sure why the plastic just broke off so easy? At first I thought it was the heat here in Phoenix which makes plastic things brittle but the heat from the engine should be a lot worse?
IMG_8440.jpg

This is what my coils look like, not sure why the plastic just broke off so easy? At first I thought it was the heat here in Phoenix which makes plastic things brittle but the heat from the engine should be a lot worse?
View attachment 90622

Looking at the tool you used in post 11 appears to pull offset from the side.

All other pullers I have seen/use pull straight on.
The plastic ridges are strongest when pulled that way.

I have seen several coils that have had chipped/broken sides but never as bad as yours.

Attachments

• 519R7lgO2+L._AC_SY355_.jpg
    519R7lgO2+L._AC_SY355_.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 124
The replacement interval is 24K miles for Hexheads and 12K miles for Camheads.

The difference should be obvious as the Camhead plugs are another size smaller.

A&S BMW in Sacramento has service interval documents online.

Back