• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark Plug Replacement

The dual tool is included in my Motohansa tool roll. It’s probably the most specific and useful BMW tools in the kit. Highly recommend it.

Promach Dual Tool is a great tool for removing the coil…

Made by a gentleman (Terry Logan) in Montana. Doesn’t have a website anymore, just a FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/PromachDualTool

I purchased it back in 2016 for my 2010 BMW R1200GSA, but lost it recently and ordered another one last month. It was about $40. He responded to my FB messages in less than 24 hours.

Here is a review from April 2016 BMWON

http://motochiba.com/articles/bmwon/2016/2016-04-promach-dual-tool.pdf

Terry is a friend. You will never find a more honest guy.

It can’t hurt to replace spark plugs every 12,000 miles but I have good reason to believe they can provide reliable service a lot longer than that. Consider the many cars on the road with factory recommended 100,000 mile plug replacement. A bike engine typically spins faster so more sparks to the mile but you get the idea. It’s not my nature to be wasteful and BMW spark plugs are not exactly cheap either due to their limited application and availability. Regardless of cost, I often just reinstall spark plugs after removing and inspecting them during valve clearance checks and have had good luck so far doing so.

I'm curious what the recommended/average mileage is for spark plugs? I can't find any info on the life expectancy. The bike is running fine but thinking I should upgrade? I have a 2007 with 40,000 and the original plugs.

My 2011 RT has 140,000 miles. I change the plugs at 20-24k at which time they are noticeably wore. The ole girl will start to run a bit rough at idle, indicating it is time to replace plugs.

My 2011 RT has 140,000 miles. I change the plugs at 20-24k at which time they are noticeably wore. The ole girl will start to run a bit rough at idle, indicating it is time to replace plugs.

Every 12K on the big service on both the RS and my 11RT, whether they need it or not.

Back