• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Motoradd FALSE Advertising

gunnert

Biker
Anyone know why you can't order a K bike from the USA and get what you want? The BMW Motoradd webpage, https://configurator.bmwmotorcycles.com/index_en_US.html?cookie=1#/modelfinder, "supposedly" lets you configure the motorcycle you'd like to order and then sends the details to a dealer of your choice. Problem, is , you have NO choice. You can NOT order a new bike, least wise, not if you live in the USA. I tried to order a '23 GT. I want a new GT. I have the money for the GT. Do I "need" a new GT? Probably not. I've owned a '12 GT for over 10 years/ 101,000+ miles. Nothing wrong with this GT, I just WANT a new bike.

When I talked to a dealer I discovered there is NO such thing as a dealer or anyone else "ordering" a bike from BMW. BMW corporate allocates bikes to dealers. WRT K bikes, all K bikes allocated to the USA are configured by BMW with no input USA dealerships. IOW, dealers receive bikes that BMW decides [they] want them to get. My complaint is I do NOT want a bike with an audio system, fog lights, etc. But, ALL bikes allocated to USA dealers have the "Premium Package", e.g. almost $3000 of BS I don't want.

My rant is over...

Duane

I think it used-ta-be that the initial shipment of new models was determined by BMW, then the dealers could order what they wanted for future allocations. Since the profit margin is greater on the bikes with all the options, there was no incentive for the dealer to order a special configuration with anything less, unless they were having trouble selling their entire allocation. Maybe that has changed, or maybe the dealer is just blaming BMW.

:dunno, and don't care.

I can't buy a bike knowing there will not be service information available.

Anyone know why you can't order a K bike from the USA and get what you want? The BMW Motoradd webpage, https://configurator.bmwmotorcycles.com/index_en_US.html?cookie=1#/modelfinder, "supposedly" lets you configure the motorcycle you'd like to order and then sends the details to a dealer of your choice. Problem, is , you have NO choice. You can NOT order a new bike, least wise, not if you live in the USA. I tried to order a '23 GT. I want a new GT. I have the money for the GT. Do I "need" a new GT? Probably not. I've owned a '12 GT for over 10 years/ 101,000+ miles. Nothing wrong with this GT, I just WANT a new bike.

When I talked to a dealer I discovered there is NO such thing as a dealer or anyone else "ordering" a bike from BMW. BMW corporate allocates bikes to dealers. WRT K bikes, all K bikes allocated to the USA are configured by BMW with no input USA dealerships. IOW, dealers receive bikes that BMW decides [they] want them to get. My complaint is I do NOT want a bike with an audio system, fog lights, etc. But, ALL bikes allocated to USA dealers have the "Premium Package", e.g. almost $3000 of BS I don't want.

My rant is over...

Duane

If I can't configure a new bike with what I want and don't want on it like the configure give me as options, I don't want a new bmw.

Very interesting one can't configure a bike the way they want with options they want or want left off after using their configure feature

Anyone know why you can't order a K bike from the USA and get what you want? The BMW Motoradd webpage, https://configurator.bmwmotorcycles.com/index_en_US.html?cookie=1#/modelfinder, "supposedly" lets you configure the motorcycle you'd like to order and then sends the details to a dealer of your choice. Problem, is , you have NO choice. You can NOT order a new bike, least wise, not if you live in the USA.
Duane

We ordered our 2022 bikes from Engles in KC. The problem now is the US they just have a Base model and Premium model. When we ordered the bikes with the Premium package there were 5 or 6 other options I could add, but I could not delete items from the Premium package I didn't want like keyless.
If you try to order a Base model and add options it kicks you up to a Premium model.
It's been like that for a few years where you can't pick and choose single options.
Cars have been that way for awhile.
When I ordered a Chevy in 2018 I wanted every option except the sun roof. The sun roof was in a package with several others options I wanted so I had to get a sun roof.

When buying bikes in 2016 I think the ordering process was the same but I can't say for sure because Engles had two bikes on hand the way we wanted them.
In 2011 I could pick and choose options.

The reason is because of supply chain issues. Covid, fires, weather destruction, etc. Prior to Covid you could order a bike with no issue. But now because of supply constraints, BMW has to order/configure the bikes based on what’s available. Yes, it sucks. I’m just glad I was able to get my 22 GTL in the blue color I wanted.

When I purchased my most recent new BMW motorcycle (a 2018 R1200RTw) I wanted a red motorcycle. I wanted to take a test ride before making a purchase. My local BMW dealer got a bike for test rides; wife and I took a test ride. We liked the bike while on the test ride. The local dealer had a mars red R1200RT. Great! We made the purchase.

That new bike came with shift assist, hill hold, blue tooth, Sirius XM and FM radio and other "options". Every motorcycle I've owned had shift assist in the form of a lever on the left handgrip (never owned a foot operated "suicide" clutch!). I use the right foot-operated pedal (or sometimes a finger on the lever on the right handgrip) as a hill-holding device. Never have used the fancy gee-gaws that were non-optional "options". Paid for 'em anyway. But the bike is red and life is short. I like the Airhead Canon that "money is a tool, not a status symbol".

A larger Werks Quiet Ride windscreen, more comfortable (for my butt) heated Sargent seat, a decent tool kit (MotoHansa Pro), front and rear Illium crash bars, and some bright aux and flashing brake lights (ClearWater) were modifications that I made. The bluetooth was poor so I made other modifications to the audio system.
Audio system mods described in thead link below -
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?92034-beat-the-dead-horse-Blues-with-Blue-tooth

At least the cars (X3s) were made in the next state. My wife wanted a blue color, not available locally. We could have gone to pick it up. Rather, we chose to have it delivered. Life is short and money is a tool. With the right tools one can eventually get what one (mostly) wants.

@rambler, that's BS, I want a bike with FEWER farkles/options...

Duane

Most of the dealers in the US are getting bikes almost fully optioned. The problem is dealers aren’t getting as many bikes as they used to, due to supply constraints still in effect. My dealer didn’t even have a choice on what bikes were sent to them. Besides the GS, many of the other models are slim pickings right now. Forget about being able to custom order a bike at least for the next year.

It would be nice if the US was like the UK site for ordering a new bike.
In the UK they have the choice of three option packages plus the base.
They can select any of those packages plus add single options without being kicked up to the loaded option.

Taking a look at the configurator, It looks like there are two packages, if you want them- Style Sport and Premium.

Then option 719, floor lighting, gear assist, FOG LIGHTS, engine protection and so on- all the way down to the AUDIO SYSTEM.

My guess is that all of this has to "hit" a dealer and the dealer can figure out what is possible.

Ordering a vehicle without the popular options has always had resistance..... and more difficult resale.

OM

Taking a look at the configurator, It looks like there are two packages, if you want them- Style Sport and Premium.

Then option 719, floor lighting, gear assist, FOG LIGHTS, engine protection and so on- all the way down to the AUDIO SYSTEM.

My guess is that all of this has to "hit" a dealer and the dealer can figure out what is possible.

Ordering a vehicle without the popular options has always had resistance..... and more difficult resale.

OM

I forgot about Style Sport. That's one of the color options
Our 2022 RS bikes are the Style Sport color. White with a red frame and a few other visual pieces like the stainless steel engine engine spoilers.

Edit: I see on the K1600GT they separated the Style Sport visual pieces from the bike color.
On the RS, Style Sport is the red, white and blue color like the GT and a few extra pieces for looks.

Then , gear assist, FOG LIGHTS, engine protection and so on- all the way down to the AUDIO SYSTEM.

OM

When you select any of those options it forces you to get the Premium package.
The same thing happens when a US dealer configures a bike.
I had that conversation with the dealer.

It was not a hardship for us as we wanted most of the options. If the dealer could have deleted a few things from the premium package I would have deleted keyless and chrome exhaust, at least on my bike.
The only thing keyless does on a RS is start the bike.

I don’t really think that this falls into the catalog of “false advertising” more the case of selection based on how BMW production and sales are run.
OM

I don’t really think that this falls into the catalog of “false advertising” more the case of selection based on how BMW production and sales are run.
OM

I Agree. I don't see any false advertising.

It was not a hardship for us as we wanted most of the options. If the dealer could have deleted a few things from the premium package I would have deleted keyless and chrome exhaust, at least on my bike.

That's what I'm seeing as well.

And the same happens on the BMW website, and has for years. Not much different to "custom" ordering most cars or motorbikes. "False advertising" - um, no.

Back