Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can we talk tool storage?

More drawers might solve the problem.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Once I started organizing all my tools into the rolling chest, I realized I had more tools than I thought and if I was going to organize things in a chest--I really wanted to organize it. So, the conclusion was to purchase the five-drawer tool chest that's designed to sit on top of the rolling chest. Yeah, this might be a bit of an overkill, but I also figure this will give me additional space for those tools I know I will end up buying in the future and everything will be centralized.

My next project is to get socket organizers and move the sockets out of the plastic organizer it came with. This worked up to now, but with tool chest I want the sockets easier to get to. After seeing that some people have removed the top of the plastic tool case the set came and placed it in a drawer. I think Iím going to go that route initially.

While I like the magnetic socket holders, theyíre a little tall for my top drawers and the sockets I have donít come close to needing that many holders. Iím leaning toward the swivel socket rails for the sockets that are not in the bottom tray of my set. This way I can spin the socket so I can read its size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LU085IPU&psc=1
    Jeff
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS (the other other woman or the mistress?)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Thanks again for everyone's help. I think I have things at a starting point which I can live with. I feel that this is something that will always continue to evolve.

I didn't like the cheap metal socket rails, since I couldn't read the size of the socket. I found socket rails where each socket can be rotated. I can now rotate each socket so I can read its size easily. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZMJNT6S...roduct_details The ends also removable, so you can make a rail of mixed type (1/4, 3/8, etc.). I now have rail for all of my torx sockets which are comprised of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sockets. Here are some pictures. I'm currently using my rolls for my open-end wrenches rather than get different organizers for them.

Here are some photos for some drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Jeff
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    2018 R1200 GS (the other other woman or the mistress?)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    Thanks again for everyone's help. I think I have things at a starting point which I can live with. I feel that this is something that will always continue to evolve.

I didn't like the cheap metal socket rails, since I couldn't read the size of the socket. I found socket rails where each socket can be rotated. I can now rotate each socket so I can read its size easily.
    My labelling allows me to easily find and replace sockets in the correct locations.

Fortunately for me, unlike how this was uploaded, with the draw in the correct orientation, socket numbers/locations are much easier to read than in this image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333