• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW tops HD in NJ Lemon Law

RadioFlyer

Right2Repair
Although there are 26.6K followers of the MOA FB group some here don't do FB so I'll share this here.

John Micheli had a look at the New Jersey list of "Vehicles Branded Under The New Jersey Lemon Law As of December 1, 2022" and shared the data for HD and BMW motorcycles in this report.

There are 2 HDs on the list and 189 BMWs (this despite the fact that HD outsells BMW by almost 10:1).

The bikes' year and model are listed right down to the VIN.

Full report available here:

https://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/l...amOND3XyxeiQzOqBRBV9bYkaRdcQbPE_0_BBljzxG3zKw

Last edited:
In reading the opening paragraphs on the list, it appears the list does not represent all the vehicles returned to the manufacturer under the NJ lemon law, but rather all the vehicles resold in NJ AFTER being returned as a lemon in NJ or any other state.

Whatever went on, it is nice that the “Lemon Law” deal In Joisey extends to motorcycles. In Mass you are on your own. When I had purchased a Suzuki that had a ride-ability problem that Suzuki wasn’t interested in addressing, it cost me a couple of hundred dollars to have have straightened out.
It soured me on the bike and I traded it in on the BMW. Haven’t looked back.
OM

Very interesting!

Among the motorcycles, maybe one Honda, one Suzuki, but no Yamahas or Guzzis at all were listed.

What does it mean to be lemonized and show up on this list? It this a vehicle title stamp in NJ?

Other motorcycle brands on the list.
Aprilia = 1
Ducati = 0
Honda = 0
Husqvarna = 2
Indian = 8
Kawasaki = 0
KTM = 0
Moto Guzzi = 0
Royal Enfield = 0
Suzuki = 0
Triumph = 0
Ural = 0
Victory = 0
Yamaha = 0

In reading the opening paragraphs on the list, it appears the list does not represent all the vehicles returned to the manufacturer under the NJ lemon law, but rather all the vehicles resold in NJ AFTER being returned as a lemon in NJ or any other state.

Any way you look at it, that's a whole lot of BMW lemonized motorcycles. And maybe that number isn't so high considering the list goes back 12 years.

Good point. I suspect that every buyback in the US is included in this list since all buybacks are done by BMW Motorrad USA in New Jersey. I wonder what it would show if comparable data were available from Wisconsin.
That is a good point. The list is bikes sold though so the lesson may be to check the title carefully if buying a used BMW in NJ. All jurisdictions should be so diligent.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Interesting data if difficult to assess because of some of the reasons stated. I guess it means that if you plan to buy a BMW motorcycle, then don’t buy it in New Jersey……. Beyond that it is not something that will affect my behavior.

2014 RT was a buy back model due to rear strut debacle. That should have been a pretty high number. Mine was bought back in Indiana.

Last edited:
The first paragraph in the body of the text tells the tale of what vehicles are listed (underlining is mine):

"If a motor vehicle is returned to the manufacturer under the provisions of the New Jersey Lemon Law or similar statute of another state or as a result of a legal action or an informal dispute settlement procedure,"

Seems to indicate that it's the whole USA.

Per some of the other comments, Harley does buy backs.

I had a "Street Rod" years ago, and the steering kept loosening up. I sent Harley a letter with my documentation and said I was planning on a Lemon Law claim. A veru nice women called and offered me every penny I paid towards the purchase of any new Harley regardless of what I negotiated with the dealer on price. No hassle -- just ride in and ride home.

Per some of the other comments, Harley does buy backs.

I had a "Street Rod" years ago, and the steering kept loosening up. I sent Harley a letter with my documentation and said I was planning on a Lemon Law claim. A veru nice women called and offered me every penny I paid towards the purchase of any new Harley regardless of what I negotiated with the dealer on price. No hassle -- just ride in and ride home.

The downside being you had to buy another Harley. :lol

Back