• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain final drive is the only option now for mid-size BMWs.

I like the design of the drive shaft on my FJR compared to that of my R1100RSL. The FJR shaft has only one U-joint at the forward end of the shaft so I can clean and lubricate the splines by simply removing 4 bolts then I can remove the FD with the driveshaft all in one piece. So simple and easy to service and takes less than one hour. Hardest part is removing the rear wheel as the rear wheel is a boat anchor, no doubt. So, I clean and lube the splines when I do a tire change whether they need it or not. Both bikes have their pluses and a few minuses so I like them both about equally and they are for sure different from each other.

I like the design of the drive shaft on my FJR compared to that of my R1100RSL. The FJR shaft has only one U-joint at the forward end of the shaft so I can clean and lubricate the splines by simply removing 4 bolts then I can remove the FD with the driveshaft all in one piece. So simple and easy to service and takes less than one hour. Hardest part is removing the rear wheel as the rear wheel is a boat anchor, no doubt. So, I clean and lube the splines when I do a tire change whether they need it or not. Both bikes have their pluses and a few minuses so I like them both about equally and they are for sure different from each other.

That single front U joint is what BMW used on the Vintage, Airhead, and Classik K75 and K100 bikes. Then they got fancy and made reliability worse.

That single front U joint is what BMW used on the Vintage, Airhead, and Classik K75 and K100 bikes. Then they got fancy and made reliability worse.

Yes, I'll certainly go along with that and enter the need for proper U-joint phasing when re-installing. Also, I've never been a fan of the single sided swing arm. Oh, and now they seem to be having problems with drive shaft corrosion. There are times when I miss my airheads.

Thanks for the feed back! It sounds like the level of chain service has droped a lot. I did like the F900XR I rode.
I have almost 30K miles on my 2020 F900R and love it. I replaced the chain and sprockets at 21K miles. I am terrible at chain maintenance so I am sure I could have gotten more miles out of the chain if I had been better. I splurged for the low-maintenance chain and hope to get 30K out of it.
This the the first chain bike I have had since 1981 and discovered that I had forgotten how to adjust one properly. A friend recently showed me what my chain slack should have been; I had been running the chain too loose.

For what I have paid for FD and spline repairs, I could have bought A LOT of chains and lube.
I am picking up a 650GS twin (800cc motor) as my commute/2nd bike.
My RT will stay as the long trip bike.
I was looking at Guzzi 85TT with shaft drive, but got a pretty good deal on the 650.

Back