Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Failed Inspection for tape on turn signal stems

Failed Inspection for tape on turn signal stems

My 2013 F800GS has been in my garage undergoing long needed repairs (forks, new seat, etc.) and I thought it was time to go get it legal to ride here in Texas. It had been registered at my other house in Albuquerque but since my wife will be riding it sometime soon it needs to be registered here. She has been rather jealous since I got the R1200GS last February. I got the insurance transferred over yesterday, fairly painless. Today I took it out for the first time in many months to get it inspected. After some frustration finding a place near me that inspects motorcycles I finally found a place. Everything is fine except my front turn signals. The bike was kept outdoors for several years out in the desert, rode to work almost daily, and parked in the open sun. The stems on the lights long ago snapped. I fixed this cheaply by putting a split piece of poly pipe over them, then taping this in place. It didn't really look that bad and they never gave me any problem. Until today. I was told the state inspection specifically forbids tape being used to hold the lights. So I rode home, and got the bright idea to just use hose clamps. I bought the camps, put them on, then went into the house to get ready to go back to the inspection place. When I returned to the garage both lights had fallen off. The stem material had crumbled to pieces.

This afternoon I went to Cycle Gear and purchased two universal fit lights. They look good and put out plenty of light. I will return tomorrow and see what happens. I would not be surprised if DOT requirements are not brought up. This kind of makes me mad since people around here put purple lights on their cars and all sorts of crazy lighting systems are used on the street with little sign any enforcement is taken. Car inspection amounts to plugging into OBD and looking for fault codes. Motorcycle inspection seems to be the third degree. The guy even looked at my brake fluid (which he commented was very clean).

Is this normal or did I just get a guy who is doing everything by the book and others don't? I can't wait to get to the county tax office and spend a day only to be sent home for something. The R1200GS, Tacoma, and the wife's Equinox were purchased here in Texas so we didn't have to go through that experience with them.

Well.. I think the short answer is yes- Yes there will always be state inspectors that act like Nazi's- just because they can. Here in VA- the state inspection procedure had to be revamped a bit- because there were a bunch of dirtbags arbitrarily failing people over window tint. (and ignoring it for a fee) So- window tint was specifically REMOVED from the procedure- and became an enforcement thing. So you can get a ticket for overdone tint- but you cannot be failed for inspection.

Now your bike sounds like it had some issues there with the lights. Tape visibly holding the lights on does seem a bit obvious to me- but I understand your bigger point. I'm not keen on being held for ransom over ticky tack nonsense, either.

My solution is to avoid bike dealers/service centers and go right over to my local car shop for state inspections because in Virginia- an SI is an SI. By law- if you're authorized, you have to do both cars and bikes and you cannot refuse. That said-these guys deal with cars all day. They hardly get paid anything at all to do a state inspection of any kind, so they are not interested in investing significant time to pick apart a motorcycle over $12.

Now they will certainly apply common sense. Bald tires, grinding brakes, and duct tape holding your turn signals on will probably not fly here in VA either. Nor should it.
    I am a descendant of Men who would not be ruled.

My last two years of inspections on a 40 year old bike have consisted of garage owner inputting info into system, taking my money, and applying the sticker, which he says by law he is required to do himself.

Nothing inspected on the bike whatsoever.

SPP
    Member # 222067

That what makes it bad, and everybody ends up paying for it. Well, this year he has to do a little more work plus invest in more Equpment that should make him happy. I like the guys that just hand out stickers and then complain when they get fined. IMO it's not worth the $6 to not do the right inspection. Last guy that I know ended up losing and get behind bars by not during the right inspection. The people that do these types of inspection have no concern about your safety.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I'm thinking there is some safety involved especially for those riders not mechanically inclined....Probably more about revenue and tracking.

Anyway, here in Mass, it is $15.00. There is the inspection of all lights and light actuation and aiming. There is a flashlight look at brake pad(s) where applicable. The inspector has to have a M/C license and is supposed to drive the bike into the bay. Short inspectors will allow a rider to bring it in if the Bike is too tall. Inspection sticker is affixed to license plate in a specific spot.

I remember when the inspection sticker was $2.00 twice a year.....sticker was kept with the registration.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose". MI5
    Moderator Team.
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post
    My last two years of inspections on a 40 year old bike have consisted of garage owner inputting info into system, taking my money, and applying the sticker, which he says by law he is required to do himself.

SPP
    Kind of the same with me but the dealer knows how I am with my machines.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post

SPP
    You'd think he'd be required by law to actually do an inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    You'd think he'd be required by law to actually do an inspection.
    He is, if he gets caught just issuing a sticker they will take his license to inspect and possibly fine him heavily.
    Shawn Conver
    K4CTD
    2016 R1200GSA, 2018 Cummins 2500

Then there's South Carolina, no inspections. You can stand by the road and here every vehicle go buy that needs brake attention, wheels canted needing upper/lower ball joints, no brake or tail lights functioning. all safety issues.
    Dave Hutton '78 R100S (mfg 7/77), '06 Kawasaki Concours, '82 Suzuki GS1100G, '82 Yamaha Exciter 250, '73 TS125

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Corruption and cost to tax payers is the reason that Florida did away with inspections. It is bad thing as we have all kinds of crappy vehicles on our roads on top of the crappy drivers…
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Most accidents are caused by a defective driver, not a defective vehicle.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swall View Post
    Most accidents are caused by a defective driver, not a defective vehicle.
    True but when you see wheels and axles coming of vehicles it makes you wonder… Just watch “just rolled in” on Utoob… People refusing to repair certain things leaves me to wonder about their mental condition driving those vehicles and “sharing” the road with all of us…
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Most states didn't inspect vehicles until Congress passed a law that stipulated that states would lose Federal highway funds unless they adopted an inspection program. Some states set up costly but lucrative annual systems. Some states - eg: Kansas that I know of, instituted on-road stops as needed when defects are noticed. I think (but not positive) the Federal mandate has dissolved. Every couple of years the Texas legislative goofs debate eliminating the system and usually wind up just jacking the price a little bit. Last time around they at least eliminated the stupid stickers the inspection shops had to pre-purchase. Now the shop gets $7 and the County collects $7.50 for the State.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    It appears that not that many states actually require a safety inspection 🧐

Some just require an emissions check from time to time and some only in specific counties in that state.

https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutori...-all-50-states

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose". MI5
    Moderator Team.
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It appears that not that many states actually require a safety inspection 🧐

Some just require an emissions check from time to time and some only in specific counties in that state.

https://haynes.com/en-us/tips-tutori...-all-50-states

OM
    Good info if you have 7 vehicles and are trying to decide where to move. Thanks!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/