• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Failure

tlangman4

Hi All-

I currently own a ‘78 R100/7, but looking to add a newer model to the garage. I’m still learning about the oilheads and hexheads, so hoping gain some wisdom.

I am looking at purchasing either an R1150RT or an R1200RT from local owners, both offered as similar deals but both having ABS warning lights flashing.

I recall reading somewhere on the forum about the expense of repair being being especially expensive for one of these models. Depending on cost, I would consider disabling the ABS or at least removing the blinking lights, but have a feeling it may not be that simple. Seems I have heard that’s what can be done to the R1100, but not so much with the 1150 or 1200.

My preference would be to repair the ABS, but I don’t want to get stuck with a 4 figure repair bill. Any wisdom or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The servo type ABS on these bikes require that they roll a short distance (30-40 ft) after starting to verify that the speed sensors are working. It is normal for the ABS "brake failure" light to flash until that check is complete. Faults are usually indicated by a solid light. Removing this type ABS is possible, but especially difficult on the R1200RT because it is tied into the brake light and speedometer functions.

I've really like the one-finger "power" braking of my servo '06 RT, but I have been very careful to flush the system as recommended. If I were looking for a replacement, I'd be looking for a non-servo 2007 or newer.

The servo type ABS on these bikes require that they roll a short distance (30-40 ft) after starting to verify that the speed sensors are working. It is normal for the ABS "brake failure" light to flash until that check is complete. Faults are usually indicated by a solid light. Removing this type ABS is possible, but especially difficult on the R1200RT because it is tied into the brake light and speedometer functions.

I've really like the one-finger "power" braking of my servo '06 RT, but I have been very careful to flush the system as recommended. If I were looking for a replacement, I'd be looking for a non-servo 2007 or newer.

Thanks for the info, Larry..!

Is it accurate to isolate the years of ‘05 and ‘06 for the 1200 to avoid the “servo” models due to the potential expense of that repair?

Thanks for the info, Larry..!

Is it accurate to isolate the years of ‘05 and ‘06 for the 1200 to avoid the “servo” models due to the potential expense of that repair?

Yes, '05 and '06 were the only years the R1200RT had servo brakes.

Since TL also asked about the 1150s...

Not "every" system fails, we mostly hear about the ones that do. It's important to know "WHY" it failed on a prospective purchase. :deal Aside from a bad computer or a bad modulator, a failure can also be caused by a low battery, loose or corroded connections, or a bad or misaligned wheel sensor. A bad tail or brake light can fake you out as you observe the blinking red light(s).

While my whizzy noises don't thrill me, and bleeding them can be tedious, I'm glad I have ABS. It has Not failed.

Back