• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side Stand bent on a S1000XR?

cdomus

Hello everyone;
Side Stand.jpg
I bought 2021 S1000XR and took it in for the 6K service at my local BMW dealership. The tech told me that the Side Stand is bent. I was stunned about this since I have never had this issue in 35 years of riding motorcycles. I don't mount my motorcycle standing on the footrest with the side stand on, so no excessive weight is put on the side stand. I also don't ride with passengers or have excessive weight. I asked the service department to try to run it through the warranty, as to me, is clearly a defective part and BMW declined the claim.

Has anyone experienced a bent side stand on a BMW? How can I escalate this problem with BMW?
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds unusual.....can't say I have seen a post on it for the liter bike. As it seems you didn't notice it, may be good to inspect for yourself and see what is actually bent referencing a new (showroom) side stand.

Let us know how you make out.

Gary

It might also be useful to see exactly "Where" the stand is bent (the red circle?). If somebody didn't stand on the peg and swing a leg over while on the stand, it's more common on many bikes that either the "ears" at the top spread, or the mounting bolt, bushing, and hole have worn.

Has the bike ever been transported by trailer or truck? If so, it’s possible it was tied down on the sidestand and resulted in a bend.

Best,
DeVern

Has the bike ever been transported by trailer or truck? If so, it’s possible it was tied down on the sidestand and resulted in a bend.

Best,
DeVern

I also wondered about that.
Our K75S sidestands got bent when a ferry worker got carried away tying our bikes down when on the sidestands.

Hello everyone;
View attachment 90279
I bought 2021 S1000XR and took it in for the 6K service at my local BMW dealership. The tech told me that the Side Stand is bent. I was stunned about this since I have never had this issue in 35 years of riding motorcycles. I don't mount my motorcycle standing on the footrest with the side stand on, so no excessive weight is put on the side stand. I also don't ride with passengers or have excessive weight. I asked the service department to try to run it through the warranty, as to me, is clearly a defective part and BMW declined the claim.

Has anyone experienced a bent side stand on a BMW? How can I escalate this problem with BMW?
Thank you!

I bought a new 2020 S1000XR and had the same problem at 12,000 miles. BMW approved a new side stand. I now have 33,000 miles and it is slowly bending again. I have not been to my dealer yet.

I bought a new 2020 S1000XR and had the same problem at 12,000 miles. BMW approved a new side stand. I now have 33,000 miles and it is slowly bending again. I have not been to my dealer yet.

Can you tell if the stand bent or the red circled area spread? Is it possible for part #1 to bend?

Best,
DeVern

Thank you. I think you are right. My motorcycle was towed by BMW Roadside assistance and they towed it with the side stand down. I opened a claim with BMW Roadside assistance and they declined the claim even when I provided pictures of the tow. I am very upset with BMW of NA because of this.

Back