• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trip across TX

christaylor123

I'm planning a trip back to Alabama from Tucson in the next few weeks (picking up a new bike from Iron Horse) and wondered if any Lone Star locals or TX vet travelers could weigh in on my plan. After I pick up the bike I want to ride east until I reach the Abilene area where I'll get a hotel for some rest. After some sleep, I'll head back out and if needed, I've got some friends in Meridian, MS that I can use for a place to grab a nap before making the last push up to Huntsville, AL.

My first question is about stopping in Abilene - is that an okay place to park a bike at a hotel in the wee hours (one of the hotels near 20)? Is there a better option for a stopping point? Abilene is a little over 11 hours from Iron Horse (according to goggle box) so I could go a little further. Maybe a certain area of Dallas is best?

Also, is 20 the best choice for crossing the state? Did it a couple months ago in a pickup hauling a trailer and traffic was never that bad. We were team driving though, so we didn't have to stop other than for gas and food. Not looking to sightsee, just get back home relatively quickly.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I don't live in Texas but traveled for work extensively in Texas for 20 years. I learned that the lodging along the interstate was substandard and had more risk than the lodging on the south side of town. Abilene has a ring road that will take you right to the better lodging area. As a plus there are several choices to get food within walking distance. Best part is its 10 minutes off the interstate, and 10 minutes to get back on.

Thanks for the tip Jim, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Chris

I don't live in Texas but traveled for work extensively in Texas for 20 years. I learned that the lodging along the interstate was substandard and had more risk than the lodging on the south side of town. Abilene has a ring road that will take you right to the better lodging area. As a plus there are several choices to get food within walking distance. Best part is its 10 minutes off the interstate, and 10 minutes to get back on.

You also might consider stopping in Sweetwater. I usually prefer stopping in smaller rather than larger towns.

You also might consider stopping in Sweetwater. I usually prefer stopping in smaller rather than larger towns.

That looks like a good option. Exit 244 has a cluster of motels and food places. Population 10,500.

I'm planning a trip back to Alabama from Tucson in the next few weeks (picking up a new bike from Iron Horse) and wondered if any Lone Star locals or TX vet travelers could weigh in on my plan.

Plan your gas stops. That stretch from El Paso to Van Horn is a long one; you can get fuel in Sierra Blanca if needed. The next long stretch is Van Horn to Pecos. There are few gas stops in between. Plan accordingly; watch your fuel gauge.

This would normally belong in the "What are you listening to today" thread, under the Campfire topic. But, it seems strangely appropriate for your trip (be safe and stay hydrated!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fTh-4Ss07AE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you have heated gear, take a pigtail to hook up to bike! Weather this time of year changes fast and it can snow/ ice enough to alter plans on that route.Have followed a front and chased by one leaving CA through AZ towards TX. Got caught in blinding fog (Ozona)and a sandstorm on I-10 (AZ).
I’m a US Highway and State route guy if possible and Interstates only by necessity , but 20 is fastest way across as long as timing through DFW works in your favor.

Congrats on bike purchase and safe travels!

Thanks for all the replies!

Gas stop research is on my agenda for today. I noticed a couple long gas-less stretches when we were in the truck a couple months back. Not sure what the range is on the new bike but I'm estimating anything more than 150 miles between stops will make me nervous (4.4 gallon tank). Not sure I want to clean out my spare fuel bottle and put it in my carry-on luggage for the flight out (and then carry it in my backpack on the bike), but it would be nice insurance.

My heated gear is all battery-op stuff but I do have spare batteries that will be charged and USB port on the bike to re-charge on the fly. Hopefully the weather will be nice for a little while leaving Tucson.

Not sure what the range is on the new bike but I'm estimating anything more than 150 miles between stops will make me nervous (4.4 gallon tank).

I plan my gas stops every 150 miles. Yes, I have gone farther; fuel light comes on, until display says I only have 22 miles 'til empty, barely make it on fumes to a lone gas station. NOT fun.

One thing about West Texas, there are some towns off the interstate you think might have gas, but the towns are virtual ghost towns with nothing open. It's happened to me a few times.

I spent a couple hours yesterday adding gas stops to my route (roughly every 150 miles) and with 1 or 2 exceptions, they are all 24 hour truck stops. We'll see if the bike range matches my plan.

One thing about West Texas, there are some towns off the interstate you think might have gas, but the towns are virtual ghost towns with nothing open. It's happened to me a few times.

The 80mph limit also messes with fuel range. My GSA with huge headwind and 80 was a short fuel window for nine gallons :eek

I saw in New Members it’s going to be on a S1000, fun!

With limited windscreen you may want to add a insulation barrier over heated liner! On our naked bikes, I stole an idea of a shield shaped windshield foil barrier I cut out of an old one. Folds up small but helps the heat actually reflect back to your torso!

Last edited:
... they are all 24 hour truck stops...

There are many little towns with one gas station. BEWARE. Often, they are closed at night! Very important to know if the gas stations in the micro towns are open 24 hours a day or not. One night I barely made it on fumes to Nowhere, NM. The lone gas station was CLOSED. Thankfully, the pump was on and the card reader worked! I fueled up and headed on my merry way, otherwise it would have been a long, cold, lonely night.

Thanks again for the comments and advice. I made the trip safely, although it took a day longer than I planned. I did manage to stay a little over 12 hours ahead of the polar vortex or whatever they were calling it (Elliot?).

S1k Tucson.jpg
I struggled keeping my bag securely attached to the rear seat on day 1, left Tucson between 11 and 12. I had to modify my initial stop schedule because the bike fuel light comes on at 120ish, but I had that planned and loaded in the NAV. Stops took longer as I fiddled with the bag at each one. It was a carry-on big enough to hold my helmet, jacket, liner and pants for the flight out. Then I loaded it with 4 quarts of oil and it just didn't want to stay put on that little back seat. Once the sun went down and the temps dropped, my stops got longer to warm up. I had a heated liner plugged into the bike and heated gloves (battery) along with the heated grips, but after 100 miles I was still pretty chilled, especially my feet. All said, I didn't roll into the hotel in Abilene until 4am local time. Warm shower, cranked up the thermostat and got some sleep. Didn't keep track of the exact mileage, but was a little under 800.

S1k oil change.jpg
Original plan was to be out of Abilene between 6 and 7, but considering when I got there I slept a little longer. Then a trip to AutoZone in the morning for an oil pan and funnel so I could get the initial oil change done before I continued. Day 2 was nice - the temps came up and the sun came out some. Traffic wasn't terrible through Dallas. I got to LA around dusk and the misty rain started. Add in the fresh brine on the roads and my visor was a mess. Not enough rain to wash it off, just enough to limit visibility. Fatigue was setting in so instead of trying to make Huntsville, I called it a night and got a hotel in Vicksburg. Got some Wendy's door dash and a good night's sleep. About 500 miles on day two.

S1k bath.jpg
Day 3 started around 7. I knew I didn't have to rush, but was ready to be home. Mostly misty rain all the way, but got into a few good groups of traffic and made great time (even through Birmingham). Made it home around lunchtime, spent some time with the dog, then promptly washed the bike before the rain got there. Moved it into the house for Christmas tree pics with my wife's new bike. All told, 1,648 miles door to door. Bike performed flawlessly. Seat isn't the most comfortable but not bad by sportbike standards. Last day was 350ish miles.

S1k xmas.jpg

Good to hear you're back home with your new bike.
Did the bag rub on the right side of the tire for awhile?
Is your wife's bike a M1000RR?

Good to hear you're back home with your new bike.
Did the bag rub on the right side of the tire for awhile?
Is your wife's bike a M1000RR?

No on the bag& tire. The Metzelers appear to be made with a similar technique to the Dunlop Q4/Q5 line and possibly the Michelin Power GP. You can see the lines (seams?) in the construction - I think that is what you see in the pics. They look funny when they wear during track use too.

And yes, that is her 2022 M1000RR (the 50th anniversary edition in Sao Paulo yellow - don't call it green in front of her, lol). She just got it a couple months ago. That prompted our first trip to Iron Horse in Tucson, but it was in a truck and trailer that time.

Back