• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

3D AM Zumo xt mounts for BMW GSA

Given that the Nav 6 cradle is used on multiple models I thought that your post in Gear was perfectly fine and if anything should have been closed it should have been this thread (not saying that I agree with the decision).

But FWIW here is a thread that goes on at great length on the issue.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/zumo-xt-in-nav-6-cradle.1477228/

Good luck.

More complaining :banghead

That’s why I specifically wrote this-

I’m guessing that this is a “spare” post as I see it in Wetheads as well.
I will close this and delete it in a few days.
If I guessed wrong, let me know through the Private Message system.
Good luck.
OM

When members are looking for an answer, posting in two locations is less than optimum.
Please stop your complaining and confusion. I know you are capable of helping because I see it once in a while.
Please try to be helpful.
OM

anyone used this mount and where did you get it, for how much ?

The mount is made in Italy. Some have experienced significant delays in shipping. I don’t recall people complaining about the quality of the device, but there are complaints about how far it makes the XT protrude from the original NAV VI mount.

The Touratech mount ($199) seems to be popular. I went with an $8 mount from AliExpress and added a lock from MotoPumps for $80. They also sell a mount for $50 or the mount and lock as a pair for $109.

The Italian adapter looks slick and I was ready to spring for one, but then ran across post# 352 in this thread and am back on the fence.

With apologies for linking to another forum,
DeVern

I purchased one directly from 3D AM. https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/. I The adaptor came within a week and before I got the Zumo XT (It took a while to get the Garmin, since I cashed in some credit card points for the unit). I couldn't be happier with the adaptor and the Zumo XT. I don't understand people's complaints about how much the unit sticks out from the BMW Cradle. It doesn't block anything. The GPS is just a bit closer to see. To me it seems much less invasive than other mounts--especially ones that mount to the handlebar. But, that's my preference. I know others really like having things attached to the handlebars--that's not me.

Sorry, I don't remember how much I paid. Currently, the unit is €70 euros, which equates to about $74.

The adapter came very quickly from Italy. A week if that counting a weekend.

I used it on my GS with the stock mount.

After I knew I wanted the XT I bought the Tourtech mount and removed the stock mount.

I cant say enough how much better the XT is for me then my 5th Nav VI.

I just read someone posted that Garmin is working to solve those issues and still intends to support the Nav VI. That is good news for all Nav VI users.

My Nav V is still going strong 8 years later is is and has been my car GPS since 2018. It is a wonderful GPS just not as bright as a Nav VI.

The adapter is a wonderful piece of hardware especial for RT users who can not just swap out a mount. It works and is very clean even though it stick out just a little. The seal around the contacts is robust and no issues in the rain that I experienced.

I made someone happy selling my adapter after I got my mount installed. I sold it pretty cheap.

If you want to power a XT use the BMW repair plug and wire it to the end of the XT and plug it into factory plug with no wire cutting or splicing.

The NAV VI is a great NAV when it is not ghosting on you. If Garmin keeps working to fix it it may survive for a lot more years. I have a 660 that has been flawless for many years and is still humming along and taking updates. Garming does make solid GPS units just the NAV VI seems to be the glitch for them.

Thank-you all

I have a 3DAm device on order. Should be here Friday. Great service and product looks like a very simple solution.

Got mount

Works great, shipped from Italy in 4 days. Great stuff. No more flakey Nav VI....yah hooo

Quick question ... if I want to use the XT on both my '16 RT and '18 GS would the same adapter work? Or do I need a separate adapter for each?

Quick question ... if I want to use the XT on both my '16 RT and '18 GS would the same adapter work? Or do I need a separate adapter for each?

The gs adaptor has 2 options, lockable or orientable. Obviously both options won't work with the RT.
The adaptors look the same but they are mounted 180°.

E nav XT RT
E-RTnavXT2.jpeg

E nav XT for the GS
IMG_7762.jpg

I just got mine this past November. It works fine so far. A friend of mine had a connection issue with his adaptor. They replaced it no charge.

Ps you will need an extra Garmin zumo xt mount bracket.
https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-Motorc...ds=garmin+zumo+xt+mount&qid=1674443377&sr=8-8

The gs adaptor has 2 options, lockable or orientable. Obviously both options won't work with the RT.
The adaptors look the same but they are mounted 180°.

E nav XT RT
View attachment 90675

E nav XT for the GS
View attachment 90676

I just got mine this past November. It works fine so far. A friend of mine had a connection issue with his adaptor. They replaced it no charge.

Ps you will need an extra Garmin zumo xt mount bracket.
https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-Motorc...ds=garmin+zumo+xt+mount&qid=1674443377&sr=8-8

Bummer .... So I assume if I wanted to use the XT on both bikes not only would I need 2 mounts but would have to go though the install process with the respective mount each time I switched bikes.

I would say yes for sure.

The orientation only relates to a GS install with a new mount. Or you may be able to spin the OEM mount but I had no reason to want my GPS in the Vertical position.

So if you buy one adapter in the Horizontal (OEM) position you can pop the XT and the adapter off your RT and walk right over to your GS and pop it in and go.

So yes one adapter can be shared across a GS/GSA and a RT, and I would assume any NAV Prep bike would work also.

The orientation only relates to a GS install with a new mount. Or you may be able to spin the OEM mount but I had no reason to want my GPS in the Vertical position.

So if you buy one adapter in the Horizontal (OEM) position you can pop the XT and the adapter off your RT and walk right over to your GS and pop it in and go.

So yes one adapter can be shared across a GS/GSA and a RT, and I would assume any NAV Prep bike would work also.

Thanks! Yes ... that is exactly what I would like to do and agree that I would only want the GPS in the horizontal position.

What had me concerned is that on the web site for the adapter you select the bike you are buying it for and there is a separate item listed for the RT and for the GS.

I think LFarling is correct; however, only one set of parts is provided to modify the BMW cradle to be able to lock the XT to the bike. If you're really curious, you could try and reach out to 3DAM and see if it truly would work and if they could include a second set of parts to modify the cradle for locking.

I think LFarling is correct; however, only one set of parts is provided to modify the BMW cradle to be able to lock the XT to the bike. If you're really curious, you could try and reach out to 3DAM and see if it truly would work and if they could include a second set of parts to modify the cradle for locking.

Isn't the "bike cradle modification" only necessary on the GS that actually locks? I did not think any bike cradle modification was required on the RT. Heck I would be fine with buying a 2nd cradle to get the parts so long as once done I can just pop the XT on and off both bikes just as I do my Nav6

Isn't the "bike cradle modification" only necessary on the GS that actually locks? I did not think any bike cradle modification was required on the RT. Heck I would be fine with buying a 2nd cradle to get the parts so long as once done I can just pop the XT on and off both bikes just as I do my Nav6

While I'm not familiar with the RT mounting, I would think there were would be a way to lock the GPS unit to the bike. That being said, the 3DAM adaptor clicks into the cradle the same way, but cannot be locked into the cradle. As such, the parts to modify the cradle locking mechanism. I would think the RT cradle (if different) would require a similar modification in order for the XT to be locked to the bike. The parts to modify the cradle also locks the XT to the 3DAM adaptor as well as the bike. I think the best people to be able to answer this would be 3DAM.

Back