• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200RT skid plate?

String_Theory

I am looking for a skid plate that is compatible with my '05 R1200RT. I need one to protect my larger than stock oil filter as well as the bottom of the engine. I know the engines on many models are the same but am unsure as to which ones would fit on mine. (there are threaded mounting holes on the bottom of the block to accommodate one)

Kevin N.

PS: Please let me know if I am posting this request on the right forum/thread

Welcome to the forum :wave

The OEM GS smaller skid plate will fit, but all the parts are fairly expensive and used ones rare with bracket for front. #6 is that bracket and not seeing in parts list
E40C2552-A569-49DF-A94B-3DA45A5CF77E.jpeg

Are you running the older Oilhead filter? Bro-in-law has used them on two different R12R’s since 2007 for over 200k without incident. I haven’t had him change his mind on larger better for many years :laugh

You see where the parallel twin filter resides with rare incidents reported

9DE1EC72-584D-4533-B724-B480ECBD390E.jpeg

Last edited:
2005 R1200RT skid plate

Thank you for the information. I currently use Mobile 1 M102A oil filter along with Mobile 1 20w50 V-Twin synthetic oil. The filter extends 1" lower than the standard M102 filter, making it more prone to damage. (My magnetic drain plug also extends 1/2" below the bottom of the engine)

Welcome to the forum :wave

The OEM GS smaller skid plate will fit, but all the parts are fairly expensive and used ones rare with bracket for front. #6 is that bracket and not seeing in parts list

This will work! A few images above the one you listed shows all the needed parts excluding the bracket. (I think the bracket is to accomodate a tubular engine guard, which I don't have)

11_3568 - UNDERRIDE PROTECTION

Back