• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 K75S cranks, won't start

So the good news is that the plugs are sparking when I hit the starter, altho the spark is kinda weak, yellow-white in color. And the fuel pump makes noise when I hit the starter, and there's fuel in the line going to the injector rail.

The bad news is when I put a voltmeter on the four-year-old Motobatt, when I hit the starter it is going down to 11V or so when cranking. I am using a cheap Harbor Fright voltmeter, is that accurate enough for a load test on the battery?

Time for a new battery?

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, I would do three things:
1. Get a new battery
2. Install a new fuel filter
3. Check gap on exhaust valves. They tend to tighten up over time and could lead to those problems that you are experiencing. I had the same issue and exhaust valves were very tight. After adjusting, bikes runs like new (with 81k miles on it).

And by the way, the H/F voltmeter is fine for this test - you're looking for the change in voltage, not an "absolute" number; and even for absolutes, the HF is close enough (but don't try to adjust a TPS with it).

OK here's the follow up: I'm not ashamed to say, I had it towed to Greg Hutchinson in Redwood City, CA. He has forgotten more about K bikes than I will ever know.

I didn't have it towed to Lee in Livermore because Greg is closer. :dance:heart

So it turns out it was a stuck fuel injection relay. Happy ending.

Last edited:
Back