Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 03 R1150RT Clack-Clank in the Clutch in Houston

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    There are other equally effective ways of lubing the splines without dismantling the motorcycle.
    I am all ears!!!!!!!!!!
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Contrary to other opinions I don't think the noise is from the input shaft splines. Noises of this type have been around a long time.

Consider this quotation:

"The noise is the result of an unloaded transmission and the backlash in the mating parts clattering slightly due to variances in engine speeds when at idle. The engine, though we think of it as running at a constant speed, varies in a miniscule amount when it is unloaded and at low speeds near idle. This happens between the power pulsations from the pistons. The flywheel helps to prevent the uneveness but does not cure the problem entirely for it would take a much larger and heavier flywheel than necessary to make the machine run properly and would detract from acceleration performance. As a result, the engine pulsates and the transmission attempts to run at a constant speed. Between pulsations the backlash in the transmission causes the components to clank lightly and cause noise.

The noise can become more noticeable if ...unbalanced left to right. This causes engine pulsations to become more uneven and, hence, there is more noise in the transmission in neutral, clutch engaged."

This was written by Oak Okleshen in 1976 describing the /6 five speed transmissions. The noise was exceptionally obnoxious with the early Oilhead transmissions so BMW used O rings as silencers/dampers but after a few thousand miles the O rings hardened and the noise again became obvious.

A very careful synchronizing of the throttle bodies will minimize the noise.
    My throttle bodys where perfectly synchronized and the idle rpm's set to 1100 prior to lubing the splines.I also, in gear, rocked the input shaft with starter removed to see if there was play on the splines from wear.They were just bone dry with no play between the clutch splines and input shaft splines.I could not find anything but dry splines.The rattle/clatter was gone after reassembly.Yes Oak's write up is well understood and makes sense.But we don't use "O" rings in 2003 1150's transmissions anymore and it is not a M97 with circlips missing and gears moving out of place because of it.I only chimed in because of what I experienced.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

jimmy armour

Trans rattle in neutral

hi guys, I had the rattle in my transmission on my 2000 r1100rt ,even having stripping and replaceing all bearings, clutch plate and input shaft from earlier model 6 years ago, lately removed gearbox to lube clutch and drive shaft splines noted clutch throw out bearing was worn ordered part and replaced it reassembled bike and hey presto rattle gone , now I havent ridden her since ,winter here in canada but happy, note my bike is an r1100rt cable clutch and throw out bearing which I belive is different from 6 speed r1150 rt but may have throw out bearing also ,hope this assists, once again merry christmas to all ,Jimmy

A reasonable call - even the newer ones can lose their grease, even if the factory schmeared in enough at the initial assembly, and the little pushrod can wear too.

Karl - There are a couple of posts somewhere in here where the owner just slid the tranny & driveline back a bit, and used a long narrow needle to carefully inject some grease directly on to the splines. If I recall (CRS Stage2...), a few guys responded with something like "that won't effectively get where it needs to, and risks a bit flying off and greasing the clutch plate."

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post

Karl - There are a couple of posts somewhere in here where the owner just slid the tranny & driveline back a bit, and used a long narrow needle to carefully inject some grease directly on to the splines. If I recall (CRS Stage2...), a few guys responded with something like "that won't effectively get where it needs to, and risks a bit flying off and greasing the clutch plate."
    1. No need to disconnect tranny from engine.

2. First hand experience...those "few guys" are misinformed. 155,000km and yearly spline lubes of the starter removal/custom narrow needle type attests to its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    1. No need to disconnect tranny from engine.

2. First hand experience...those "few guys" are misinformed. 155,000km and yearly spline lubes of the starter removal/custom narrow needle type attests to its effectiveness.
    Yes,I have heard of this type of greasing the splines but not in my book.I have lots of Moly 60 that takes a brush to apply and I am sparingly using it not to find it on my clutch.I also just pulled the trans and whole drive train back on guide pins to expose the splines for lubing.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    hi guys, I had the rattle in my transmission on my 2000 r1100rt ,even having stripping and replaceing all bearings, clutch plate and input shaft from earlier model 6 years ago, lately removed gearbox to lube clutch and drive shaft splines noted clutch throw out bearing was worn ordered part and replaced it reassembled bike and hey presto rattle gone , now I havent ridden her since ,winter here in canada but happy, note my bike is an r1100rt cable clutch and throw out bearing which I belive is different from 6 speed r1150 rt but may have throw out bearing also ,hope this assists, once again merry christmas to all ,Jimmy
    Your 1100 has a mechanical operated clutch with cable to operate.It also has the 5 speed M97 Transmission.I had a 98 RT/P that I rebuild the transmission on.In my 2002 rt the 6 speed transmissions are different and much more robust.I do miss the cable operated clutch because now we have a hydraulic set up that is trouble prone.And thank you for your input.Merry Christmas to you.
    Karlheinz
    1998 r1100 rt/p
    1985 k 100 rs
    2001 k 1200 rs
    99 740 il

Going to try to synch TB

Well, it may not solve my problems but a synch of TB and adjust of idle seems like a logical first step. Sent Chris Harris a video of my bike doing the clank-clank and to his ear he thinks it is out of sync so that is the cost effective first step and it seems like something I can do. Also, the shop had recently put in synth trans fluid so I may switch back to the Castrol non synth and see if that makes it happier. Just ordered a Carbtune Pro 2 from BeemerBoneYard so now I have a project for week after next. I wish I had a place to do serious work on the bike but workshop is filled with other hobbies and no room for a bike or a lift. Didn't know when I got an RT it would be both a mode of transportation and an erector set to play with.

Appreciate all the advice.